Table for eight?

Flatbush Flyer

I'm with Lyn in that I've always enjoyed the dinners we've shared with fellow cruisers, with 2 or 3 exceptions. If you take enough cruises and share enough dinners you have a few tablemates that defy all logic. I'm sure quite a few of us have had those experiences. I'll never forget the fellow that insisted the Maitre de in Polo get the Captain to come down and tell us the name of that odd shaped rock island we were passing. He had already escalated it from waiters to MD. He really wanted to know the name of it. I remember his name. 

My biggest pet peeve are those that can't leave their politics at home and feel that a shared table with strangers is the place to discuss this. Pretty much had a dinner at La Reserve ruined by a group of 4 Tea Partiers in early Dec of 2016. 

I have shared dinner with a few regulars here. We had dinner with LHT & her husband when they came to Norway to celebrate my free cruise. I've also had dinner with Jan & Stu a couple of times. I had dinner one night with HawaiiDan when he set up a special dinner for his wife's birthday, along with his brother and wife. All good times. 

As far as picking a table of 8 from posters here I'll pass. 

17 minutes ago, ORV said:

I'm with Lyn in that I've always enjoyed the dinners we've shared with fellow cruisers, with 2 or 3 exceptions. If you take enough cruises and share enough dinners you have a few tablemates that defy all logic. I'm sure quite a few of us have had those experiences. I'll never forget the fellow that insisted the Maitre de in Polo get the Captain to come down and tell us the name of that odd shaped rock island we were passing. He had already escalated it from waiters to MD. He really wanted to know the name of it. I remember his name. 

Seems to be one on every cruise  LOL

We had one guy who insisted the  French Vanilla ice cream was not real ice cream   it was nothing like he bought at home

My goodness he went on for about 10 mins about  how cheap Oceania was

This was back before  the O ships  when they made good ice cream ..well most is still good to me  LOL

The other memorable couple  that insisted we smell their wine  for the bouquet  (we declined) ..thank goodness  we had a table for 6 & the other couple were  charming 

We enjoyed dinner with you & Ms T  as well as  a few other regulars  & our favourite GM  😉

Quote: I don't think Flatbush intended to exclude people and he and I have had our share of differences.  So who would you pick?

Reply: I'll take potluck. In nine O cruises, the maitre de has let us down only once. 

4 hours ago, ORV said:

My biggest pet peeve are those that can't leave their politics at home and feel that a shared table with strangers is the place to discuss this. Pretty much had a dinner at La Reserve ruined by a group of 4 Tea Partiers in early Dec of 2016. 

I have shared dinner with a few regulars here. We had dinner with LHT & her husband when they came to Norway to celebrate my free cruise. I've also had dinner with Jan & Stu a couple of times. I had dinner one night with HawaiiDan when he set up a special dinner for his wife's birthday, along with his brother and wife. All good times. 

As far as picking a table of 8 from posters here I'll pass. 

I haven’t been much of a regular here lately but we also shared that dinner with you and HawaiiDan to celebrate his wife’s birthday. Alaska 2015. We were also on your trivia team. Haven’t had such a great team since that cruise.

19 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Jeanine will agree with me. Oregon is a beautiful place, with good people and polite drivers.

A born and raised Oregonian and can not agree more....so blessed to live in this gorgeous corner of the US.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Seems to be one on every cruise  LOL

We had one guy who insisted the  French Vanilla ice cream was not real ice cream   it was nothing like he bought at home

My goodness he went on for about 10 mins about  how cheap Oceania was

This was back before  the O ships  when they made good ice cream ..well most is still good to me  LOL

Lyn, I too never bothered with ice cream on O ships but we really enjoyed trying the new specialty Humphry Slocombe ice cream flavor of the day on our March cruise. (Note that only one flavor was offered per day.) One of our trivia teammates recommended that I try it, and although one or two were failures IMO, there also were some truly memorable scoops. 

Edited by CintiPam
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Riverroad said:

I haven’t been much of a regular here lately but we also shared that dinner with you and HawaiiDan to celebrate his wife’s birthday. Alaska 2015. We were also on your trivia team. Haven’t had such a great team since that cruise.

Yes, we did have a pretty good team. Amazing that it's been almost 5 years, seems like yesterday. 

5 hours ago, ORV said:

Yes, we did have a pretty good team. Amazing that it's been almost 5 years, seems like yesterday. 

I agree. We took that cruise to celebrate our 50th and suddenly (it seems), we’ll be celebrating 55 years in August. Unfortunately we can’t cruise to celebrate this year. 

BTW, we had the opportunity to sail with FF on our Cape Town to Singapore (modified to Cape Town to Dubai) cruise earlier this year. He was a valuable part of our trivia team. I’d definitely choose you and FF as part of my table for 8 but would also want you both on my trivia team.