The crew need better working and living conditions to stop disease

Loreni

7 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

I'm pretty sure you have to be two stripes or the equivalent on Princess for a single cabin... Musicians, asst. cruise directors, etc share a cabin.

Chengkp, do the required rest periods include all crew, i.e., waiters, cabin stewards, shop clerks, or just crew that stand a watch?

At NCL, two stripe officers, and deck/engine one stripe officers, got a single with shared toilet/shower.  Three stripe and above had singles with private bath.

Yes, STCW work/rest hours apply to all seafarers.  It is of note that it is the individual seafarer's responsibility to ensure that they are not violating the work/rest hours, though the company can be held accountable if violations are reported.  Crew can report violations of STCW as well as MLC 2006 (which covers employment and living conditions for seafarers) to any national maritime agency (like the USCG) for investigation.

As for crew cabin locations, ships I've been on have crew cabins as low as deck 1, which is well below the waterline, as is deck 2.  The engine room occupies deck 0 for most of the length of the ship.  Crew cabins will continue up to deck 3, the I-95 or sub-division deck, and then perhaps a mix of crew and pax cabins on 4 and 5, and then no crew cabins until those just aft the bridge for the department heads and bridge officers.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2