Please convince me to choose 11 days over 7 days on Tahiti cruise

travelbug2225

After we came across deal on 7 days cruise on Tahiti we decided to book our cruise for next March. Then after read the reviews here and communicate with Nancy via email make me want to take longer cruise.     If we decide to go for 11 days it will be in February.  The difference on price will be additional $1200 for 2   

Original plan we will arrive 1 days before the cruise and stay in Papeete then stay 2-3 days in Moorea. But if we do 11 days cruise we will arrive and leave the same day. I check the flight it will be arrive at 5.00 am and departure at midnight. 

Is Fakarava and Rangiroa worth seeing or after seeing difference islands they are the same?  
February and March is the best time for us to travel.  I am concern about more rain in February than March. 

Thank you in advance for your advice. 

Just throwing in my 2 cents.....

You probably will spend more than $1200.00 In Hotel and Meals in Moorea Only.

Meals are not included in most hotels stays and the Islands are very Very $$$.

The cruise will cover your meals and your stay for those extra 4 days.......

I am biased because as long as we are flying that far we rather spend more time in the smaller Idyllic Islands.....

We have researched both Rangiroa and Fakarava and it would be a deal breaker if we cannot go to the Blue Lagoon once we are in French polynesia.

Good Luck.... 

2 hours ago, travelbug2225 said:

After we came across deal on 7 days cruise on Tahiti we decided to book our cruise for next March. Then after read the reviews here and communicate with Nancy via email make me want to take longer cruise.     If we decide to go for 11 days it will be in February.  The difference on price will be additional $1200 for 2   

Original plan we will arrive 1 days before the cruise and stay in Papeete then stay 2-3 days in Moorea. But if we do 11 days cruise we will arrive and leave the same day. I check the flight it will be arrive at 5.00 am and departure at midnight. 

Is Fakarava and Rangiroa worth seeing or after seeing difference islands they are the same?  
February and March is the best time for us to travel.  I am concern about more rain in February than March. 

Thank you in advance for your advice. 

Sue,

I'll be very interested in hearing what others say but the biggest reason is that  YOU WILL NOT WANT TO GET OFF THIS SHIP.

It is just breathtaking and you'll feel so spoiled. Our first was only a 7 day and I so regretted it- it passed too quickly. Big Edwin is right. If you stay in Moorea for a few days you will easily spend over $1200. Between the room and exorbitant price of meals you will not be saving any money. And the ferry cost and transport in Moorea. I don't feel Moorea is as exciting as Rangiroa and Fakarava, but it is still known as a jewel next to Bora Bora. Fakarava is not like any other atoll you. will ever see especially if you like snorkeling and beautiful sights and the Blue lagoon. Rangiroa has some amazing fish in the Aquarium and the exciting drift snorkel we do every time. Look up Ile aix Recifs on Tripadvisor too in Rangiroa. We've never been able to get enough people to make the trip but I watch the Youtube video and my mouth waters.

$1200 for an extra 4 days....if you can talk your husband into it....it's so worth it. Keep in mind that the ship tours are expensive. I do all mine except one independently.

I hope you change your mind. That ship is a dream in those waters. Just in case you want to avoid the rainy season you might consider May 6. It's $300 more , $2199, but gets you a bit more out of the rainy season. I have been at the height of the rainy season in November, December and January and each time had beautiful weather with a day or two of rain. Keep in mind it can rain anytime in Tahiti but it's mostly at nite with generally sunny days.

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I hope you change your mind. That ship is a dream in those waters. Just in case you want to avoid the rainy season you might consider May 6. It's $300 more , $2199, but gets you a bit more out of the rainy season. I have been at the height of the rainy season in November, December and January and each time had beautiful weather with a day or two of rain. Keep in mind it can rain anytime in Tahiti but it's mostly at nite with generally sunny days.

Petoonya, you're killin' me.  You've got me rethinking my whole September 2021 backup plan, and trying to figure out if I can put together May 6th instead. Plugging numbers into my spreadsheet, it looks like it's a lot less expensive than my idea of 4 nights on Moorea + a seven day cruise, too. We'll miss whale season if we go in May, but it looks like the weather is typically similar to September, and the water may be a few degrees warmer.

Zukini,

You're amazing. I'd be thrilled for you if you do the May 6!  Really gets you out of a heck of a fix. It is a bit painful to miss whale season but as my husband says "it gets me there sooner". (I'd been pushing for August 1.) I've been in both Sept and May and both were just perfect weather. Just wish we could have worked it out to go on the same cruise 😉 And yes those 4 nites in Moorea would certainly set you back some. Hope you get on the phone tomorrow and hold something for at least a few days. It's amazing how quickly this stuff is selling out. Keep in touch!

Edit: "Barrycat" is doing the 18 day April 29 cruise so you'd have someone to help with with minimums for any independent excursions if you decided to do on your portion of the cruise.

Edited by Petoonya

6 hours ago, travelbug2225 said:

Thank you everyone for respond.  Tomorrow  I will call and change my reservation to 11 days. Petoonya, thank you so much for helping me planning this trip.  I really value your opinion. 

Ann, know you won't regret. It's the trip of a lifetime. Be sure to have your cabin cheat sheet next to you so you can choose what cabin is the best of whats left. But don't fret if nothing great, people cancel all the time especially shortly before final.

Nancy

On 5/31/2020 at 1:55 PM, Zukini said:

Petoonya, you're killin' me.  You've got me rethinking my whole September 2021 backup plan, and trying to figure out if I can put together May 6th instead. Plugging numbers into my spreadsheet, it looks like it's a lot less expensive than my idea of 4 nights on Moorea + a seven day cruise, too. We'll miss whale season if we go in May, but it looks like the weather is typically similar to September, and the water may be a few degrees warmer.

Zukiki,

What's the verdict or is the jury still out?

I would definitely avoid our winter months (December through March). It's not so much the rain, but the humidity that will kill you. While the temperature does not vary that much throughout the year, the humidity during their summer (our winter) makes it seem oh-so-much hotter. In July the extreme humidity is gone, but it can be windy. My favorite months: August and September

The 11 day over the 7 day is a no-brainer!  :-)

45 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Zukiki,

What's the verdict or is the jury still out?

Still mulling it over, and will almost certainly put a deposit on it. Got a fresh quote from my travel agent today, and it sure doesn't hurt that it's thousands of dollars less than the September 2020 11-day.  I'm going to talk with the airline tomorrow and verify what it will take to move the flights, but at the moment I'm tempted to proactively give up on September 2020 and book May 2021.  I may keep the deposit on the 7 day for September 2021 just as a fallback.  

25 minutes ago, Zukini said:

Still mulling it over, and will almost certainly put a deposit on it. Got a fresh quote from my travel agent today, and it sure doesn't hurt that it's thousands of dollars less than the September 2020 11-day.  I'm going to talk with the airline tomorrow and verify what it will take to move the flights, but at the moment I'm tempted to proactively give up on September 2020 and book May 2021.  I may keep the deposit on the 7 day for September 2021 just as a fallback.  

Sounds like a plan. I'll stay tuned. I've got a deposit on another Tahiti cruise as a fallback too. But 5/24/21 is my dream.

On 6/1/2020 at 11:25 PM, Petoonya said:

Sounds like a plan. I'll stay tuned. I've got a deposit on another Tahiti cruise as a fallback too. But 5/24/21 is my dream.

Done deal. I've cancelled September 2020 in favor of May 6, 2021. Pricing was so aggressive that I'm able to start with a few days in an OWB at Hilton Moorea without laying out any additional money, so that takes the sting out of not celebrating our 25th anniversary in Polynesia.  I'm relieved that I don't have to stress about September, and excited that we're getting even more bang for our buck by shifting to May.  I'm still hanging on to the September 2021 booking as a "just in case", but I'm hopeful that the whole travel situation will be much improved by spring.  Thanks for your advice and encouragement!

1 hour ago, Zukini said:

Done deal. I've cancelled September 2020 in favor of May 6, 2021.

Must feel so good to have the decision made and such a wonderful outcome. A Hilton Moorea OWB could take the sting out of anything. So happy for you- a real win-win. We've done the same thing you have...the May 24 2021 17 day is our "real" cruise, and Nov 22, 2021 17 day the back up. Our last November Tahiti was perfect weather and would hope our good weather karma might hold out if that's how things end up.

Sorry you're 25th anniversary is eighty-sixed but great to hear you feeling upbeat about the new plan.

I'm more of a planner than you are I'll betcha....have almost all or excursions, mostly independent, booked for next May!

Petoonya

Thanks for the info on the AirBnb. Sounds like a great deal. Just hope they don’t go under. If the flight gets in at 5 am what do you do until boarding time? I do think it’s hard to know at this point what the flight situation will be next year. I just don’t know understand how Windstar can charge $600/ person for hotel and transfers. A package usually implies a deal and this is no deal. Especially if it doesn’t even include an overnight stay.

7 minutes ago, jumelle said:

I just don’t know understand how Windstar can charge $600/ person for hotel and transfers. A package usually implies a deal and this is no deal. Especially if it doesn’t even include an overnight stay.

Jumelle, I don't think I've ever used or seen an advantage in cruise line provided hotel and transfers- well maybe a few times It's really for people who want the convenience of not worrying about the smaller details or the inconvenience of arranging transfers/hotels themselves. It's crazy to be charging $100 for transfers when a taxi is $25. When there is a lot of time between arriving at the Airbnb, our room being ready and flight time, we just pull out or kindles and read by the pool, mess around on Ipad, take walks in the neighborhood. Then take a nap/shower when our room is open. The owners make sure you are very comfortable.

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

Jumelle, I don't think I've ever used or seen an advantage in cruise line provided hotel and transfers- well maybe a few times It's really for people who want the convenience of not worrying about the smaller details or the inconvenience of arranging transfers/hotels themselves. It's crazy to be charging $100 for transfers when a taxi is $25. When there is a lot of time between arriving at the Airbnb, our room being ready and flight time, we just pull out or kindles and read by the pool, mess around on Ipad, take walks in the neighborhood. Then take a nap/shower when our room is open. The owners make sure you are very comfortable.

48 minutes ago, jumelle said:

So you are saying that you can book the AirBnB for the day and not stay the night?

Yes Jumelle. You just book it as though you were staying the night and pay your one night's lodging. With the owner picking you up at the dock at 8:30am and taking you to the market you'd be back at her place by 9:15am. Then we hung out on the patio and by the pool until our room was ready about 12-1pm when the last guest checked out. Then the room was ours till we left that evening. A day room but you pay for one night 🙂 The beauty of it is was that it was comfortable and we were picked up from the ship and dropped off at the airport for a heck of a lot less than the Intercontinental. The pool and amenities at the IC is certainly a LOT nicer but this place is comfy and does the trick and saves after blowing wads on shore excursions on the ship.

On the other hand even if the IC won't sell you a day room in advance, if you hunt you can get an overnight room there to use as a day room for around $200- a little less at the Manava Suites. With few bookings in the last few months however the IC may be more eager to book day stays, and forego the need to wait 2 weeks prior for checking availability. Personally if we weren't flying United I go on the cheap and do the Airbnb.

Edited by Petoonya

38 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Yes Jumelle. You just book it as though you were staying the night and pay your one night's lodging. With the owner picking you up at the dock at 8:30am and taking you to the market you'd be back at her place by 9:15am. Then we hung out on the patio and by the pool until our room was ready about 12-1pm when the last guest checked out. Then the room was ours till we left that evening. A day room but you pay for one night 🙂 The beauty of it is was that it was comfortable and we were picked up from the ship and dropped off at the airport for a heck of a lot less than the Intercontinental. The pool and amenities at the IC is certainly a LOT nicer but this place is comfy and does the trick and saves after blowing wads on shore excursions on the ship.

On the other hand even if the IC won't sell you a day room in advance, if you hunt you can get an overnight room there to use as a day room for around $200- a little less at the Manava Suites. With few bookings in the last few months however the IC may be more eager to book day stays, and forego the need to wait 2 weeks prior for checking availability. Personally if we weren't flying United I go on the cheap and do the Airbnb.

Petoonya,

Thank you for the great information. I will change our reservation to cruise only. I’m also curious Bout the flight on United. I didn’t see it in my searching. What city does it leave from? We are on the east coast so can connect just about anywhere.

Jumelle,

It's out of SFO and the prices are usually better than Air Tahiti Nui if you keep watching. They bob up and down. San Francisco often has weather delays so be sure you plan on at last a day early arrival in Tahiti. They don't fly everyday so go to the United website put in the dates you want and you'll see the calendar.

My outbound flight has been jumping from $353 one way to $2002 so give it a little bit and check everyday.

One other interesting thing. Last year I wanted to book Air Tahiti Nui from LAX- it was high. But when I booked the same flights through their Qantas partner the rate dropped by over a third. Don't know if it'll work that way this year but.....

I also like to use matrix.itasoftware.com when I'm taking multiple flights- shows me the best connections and compares fares. But again....watch daily for deals.

Nancy

Edited by Petoonya

I like the United flight because its a day flight as opposed to redeye. I dont have a problem with redeye flights but I'd prefer to land in the evening at my destination which is the schedule from SFO-PPT via United. Deaparts SFO at 1:15pmPT and lands in PPT at 6:50pm. It is a night flight coming back however which is fine.

Edited by minidonuts85

I have to say, we did 10 days on the Wind Spirit last August and I agree—you won’t want to get off the boat. Fakarava was some of the best waters we saw. Between the waters, the crew, the food and the range of experiences, it’s all good. You’ll love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

I have to say, we did 10 days on the Wind Spirit last August and I agree—you won’t want to get off the boat. Fakarava was some of the best waters we saw. Between the waters, the crew, the food and the range of experiences, it’s all good. You’ll love it.

How did you enjoy the weather in August? We are doing an 11-night next August. Did you see many whales?

To anyone interested in a day room post cruise at the IC. Bummer. They only offer a day pass which entitles you to use of  facilities but no room. They even limit you to what pools you can use the waterfall pool (7700XPF pp) or the Tiare infinity pool (8950XPF pp) Mon-Fri. Prices higher on the weekend. Includes lunch. But no nap and shower 😞