Mediterranean Cruise

shyla100

Hi We are looking at doing a Med cruise in June next year

if anyone has done one at that time would you please advise us if you found the weather to hot and ports to crowded .

Appreciate any advise before we book.

Early June  weather is usually beautiful. Once you get into late June/July it can start to get hot. (I'm Scandinavian so my hot may not be the same as your Australian hot!).

Ports not usually too crowded in June, but again if your cruise goes into July it can be busy mid month onwards.  

There can be differences between weather in western and eastern Med - eastern is usually hotter.

May and the end of September are my preferred months for the Med but I'd be happy to take a cruise there in early-mid June too.

Disclaimer - it's difficult to confidently predict the weather anywhere these days and Europe does seem to be getting hotter, from the Scandinavian countries in the north to the southern Med. 

Edited by Isklaar

I have a few tips - it will be warm.  May and October are the best months for many reasons.

The Covid crisis may well have wrecked many cruise lines' plans worldwide, even deep into 2021.  But (and it's a huge 'but') if things return to something approaching normal you might find many ports are far too crowded.  Santorini, Dubrovnik and Kotor are particular crush points.  Hopefully Venice will have banned ships by then.

The best thing you can do is check the following website which enables you to research each port by date and then you can see how many ships will be in port on any specific day.

https://www.cruisetimetables.com

Avoid Rome as a port of call - the port is miles away and a decent sightseeing tour isn't feasible. 

Choose a smaller Seabourn ship, not the Encore or Ovation for this destination.

Edited by Fletcher

Fletcher, I was wondering why you recommended the smaller ships for the Mediterranean as I think next summer only the bigger ships are doing this destination so is this something you would avoid?

41 minutes ago, Mr Gee said:

Fletcher, I was wondering why you recommended the smaller ships for the Mediterranean as I think next summer only the bigger ships are doing this destination so is this something you would avoid?

I think the smaller ships allow for more flexibility in which ports they call at.  And also because it reduces the crowds.  I have nothing against the bigger ships - we loved our Ovation cruise in Norway - but the smaller ships would be better for exploring some less obvious places.

Another tip about a Med cruise is, as far as possible, avoid taking ships' excursions which are invariably over-priced and herd managed.  It's easy to DIY here. 

40 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I think the smaller ships allow for more flexibility in which ports they call at.  And also because it reduces the crowds.  I have nothing against the bigger ships - we loved our Ovation cruise in Norway - but the smaller ships would be better for exploring some less obvious places.

Another tip about a Med cruise is, as far as possible, avoid taking ships' excursions which are invariably over-priced and herd managed.  It's easy to DIY here. 

Thanks.

We loved late September/early October in the western Mediterranean.  The weather was perfect.  We were on the Ovation and did not suffer by being on one of the larger ships.  It was a near perfect cruise. 

Thank you all

We were planning to travel in May but my Boss has informed that he will be away for May, Sept and Oct next year and I cannot be away when he is.

So we are very limited on when we can go.

I have never been on the larger ships and I must admit    I am very apprehensive about it.

The one we are looking at is Malta to Italy including Casablanca , so we are not going to Venice side at all.

5 hours ago, shyla100 said:

I have never been on the larger ships and I must admit    I am very apprehensive about it.

The one we are looking at is Malta to Italy including Casablanca . . . 

That's an interesting and unusual itinerary . . . looking at those ports I don't think the bigger ship will be a problem at all.  It only matters for the smaller Greek islands and some places along the Dalmatian coast.  And ending in Rome with a hotel stay would be lovely.

Edited by Fletcher