Any news of travel insurance including Covid-19?

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Both companies have a notice about policy deferrals on their websites.

InsureAndGo states:

"For all Annual Multi-Trip policy holders who have not made a valid claim and can no longer travel as planned due to the impact of COVID-19 we will consider a deferral of their policy. To register for this credit please login into your account here and follow the steps."

AllClear states:

"For all Annual Multi-Trip policy holders who have not made a valid claim and can no longer travel as planned due to the impact of COVID-19 we will consider a deferral of your policy."

jland, have you made any claims on that policy?

Thanks for that. I’ve just requested a differral.

54 minutes ago, jland said:

We could not understand the no refunds email, not want we asked for.

It is also strange that your deferral starts from March 18th went the government issued the do not travel advice but the cut off date to be cover for Covid-19 is 31st January. Two different things I know but still.

The deferral covers the time that we can't travel because of the government "do not travel", it has nothing to do with pandemic cover, just the impossibility of travelling.

We actually renewed our policy on 20th January so are covered for the pandemic.

OzKiwi I’m really pleased you bought your policy in time to get COVID-19 cover. With regards to the dates mentioned above I was really thinking out loud as to how they decide 31st January was the cut off. On their website they say we should have known by then so I accept that.

Thanks Leigh for your suggestion, I will try that and to you both for all your help.

By late January there were distinct signs that it was spreading and some Asian countries were already on the Do Not Travel list. So the insurance companies decided it was time to refuse cover for it.

Some travel insurance insurers don't cover pandemics at all, ever. At least InsureAndGo did cover it if the policy was bought before the cutoff date, and that's what is needed as no-one can else predict when this sort of thing will happen. 

OzKiwi, I understand what you are saying and agree the cut off date had to start somewhere. We are just unlucky our annual renewal date is 6th Feb. As they say you win some and lose some.

No matter the outcome of this we will always be grateful to AllClear for insuring my husband when no other company would.