Any advice on booking flights?

welshrich

Hello

We've just booked a land/cruise vacation on Radiance of the seas in June next year, it starts in Fairbanks and ends in Vancouver, we had planned on flying to Fairbanks and when we end in Vancouver spending a few days there, then taking the train to Seattle for a few days and then flying back to the UK from there.   Now we are wondering whether to fly into Seattle and do all the land travel first and then just relaxing on the cruise (as much as you can relax on an Alaskan cruise).   Has anyone done this and can offer any advice on the best way to book flights, either as a multicity trip or individually, all advice gratefully accepted.

Let me make a suggestion you do a "thought experiment" along these lines.  This would possibly mean changing your booking on the ship, but hopefully that wouldn't be a major issue.

Book a return/round trip from the UK to Vancouver.

On arrival spend a day or two - not more - in Vancouver then cruise northward to Seward or Whittier, depending on your choice or itineraries or cruise line.  Do the cruise, then any land itinerary in Alaska that you want, then fly south to Seattle.  

Spend some time in our fair city, then take the train (or rent a car - more options for great scenery) back to Vancouver.  Finish with a few days there, then fly home.

The reason for this version of the trip is to use the cruise as a low-stress time to recover from jetlag and an 8-hour time change.  The first day on the cruise is a sea day anyway, then the port calls in Alaska can be taken while you're not struggling with the time change, the tight timeline for land touring, and the near-24 hour daylight you'd encounter in June. By the time you get to southcentral Alaska (Whittier/Seward/Anchorage etc.) you'll be able to endure the pace and daylight more easily.

Airfares from either Anchorage or Fairbanks to Seattle are quite inexpensive and frequent (only one daily nonstop to Vancouver by comparison) so flying south won't be a deal breaker.

Anyway, give it a thought.

• Like 1

I'd also suggest-  not focusing on "relaxing".    My trips are even with my activities each day,   so a major concern is what mainland touring you have selected.    Some I consider extremely poor choices-   no time at destinations and marathon transits-  getting minimal looks out windows.   🙂    Really plan this carefully and educate yourself on the important details.    

3 hours ago, welshrich said:

Hello, thankyou for this, looking to see whether this can be done, issue we have is that friends are on the same cruise but not the tour.

What I wanted to suggest for your land tour part of Alaska:  If possible, do it yourself.  If you're comfortable driving yourself (on the right... Ha Ha) you'll have a much better Alaskan experience.  The tour groups whiz past things on a large bus and you're not able to stop at your own leisure.  I have no idea what you're expecting to see while on the land tour but most people want to see Denali.  You really should spend a minimum of two nights in the Denali area so you'll have one entire day to visit the park in whatever way you find interesting.  Driving in Alaska is very easy and you're unlikely to  get lost as there are only a few main highways.  But you really need to allow more time between Point A and Point B than normal - there is so much to see, so many photo opportunities, and such that you'll probably stop more often than normal.  Also, the highways are, for the most part, two-lanes and any traffic snafu can delay you - summer months are road construction/repair season, there will be more tourist traffic and the odd wreck that can back you up.  I generally allow twice the amount of time something like Google Maps might indicate to allow for any of the above.  You will need to make any hotel or excursion reservations as much in advance as possible (for summer 2021 you might start making reservations in Autumn 2020).  The car rental companies typically charge less the earlier you reserve.  For a car you might see if somehow you qualify for a negotiated or corporate rate - my company has a negotiated rate with one of the major companies that's about 1/3rd the typical rack rate plus I get the extra insurances, roadside assistance and extra drivers included - I've used it in Alaska many times.  Good luck!  You'll love Alaska!

Edited by SuperCrewBear

On 6/15/2020 at 9:14 AM, welshrich said:

Hello, thankyou for this, looking to see whether this can be done, issue we have is that friends are on the same cruise but not the tour.

Don't worry about the "friends"  🙂    And I'd suggest-  don't compromise on what YOU want to see and do.