Reduced air

kesrya

How does the reduced air deal work with NCL? We are looking to rebook our cancelled domestic cruise for two years from now as a cruise from Iceland. Our TA says we would qualify for reduced air from our home airport.  I assume NCL chooses the airline? Do we get to choose the which flight we want? We'd like to arrive a few days early so that we can explore Reykjavik and surrounding area before we embark. We are a family of four if that makes a difference.

16 minutes ago, kesrya said:

How does the reduced air deal work with NCL? We are looking to rebook our cancelled domestic cruise for two years from now as a cruise from Iceland. Our TA says we would qualify for reduced air from our home airport.  I assume NCL chooses the airline? Do we get to choose the which flight we want? We'd like to arrive a few days early so that we can explore Reykjavik and surrounding area before we embark. We are a family of four if that makes a difference.

You have zero choices on airlines or flight times. You are allowed to do a deviation for up to 2 days before and after the cruise though, but it costs $25 per person to make that change (some travel agents can get that waived). Make sure if you do fly in/out early that you cancel the transfers, unless you're using an NCL hotel.

28 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

You have zero choices on airlines or flight times. You are allowed to do a deviation for up to 2 days before and after the cruise though, but it costs $25 per person to make that change (some travel agents can get that waived). Make sure if you do fly in/out early that you cancel the transfers, unless you're using an NCL hotel.

Thank you that is helpful. I would be okay with a 2 day deviation on both ends of the trip. When you say cancel the transfer, are you saying there is an included transfer from the airport to the hotel? Or does that cost extra. If I'm not staying in a NCL hotel, could I still use the included transfer to go to my own lodging choice? I guess it might not matter because we were thinking of renting a car to get to some off the beaten track areas that my son researched for his Iceland school report.

12 minutes ago, kesrya said:

Thank you that is helpful. I would be okay with a 2 day deviation on both ends of the trip. When you say cancel the transfer, are you saying there is an included transfer from the airport to the hotel? Or does that cost extra. If I'm not staying in a NCL hotel, could I still use the included transfer to go to my own lodging choice? I guess it might not matter because we were thinking of renting a car to get to some off the beaten track areas that my son researched for his Iceland school report.

Yes, they bundle transfers when you book air. It should be far cheaper to book on your own. 

I would for sure rent a car if you're there for a cpl of days.

26 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

If you haven't done so already make sure you read the fine print in the Terms and Conditions of the current offer on NCL.com.

Thanks that was helpful. I found the terms and conditions. While I don't see anything in there that is necessarily a deal breaker, there was a chart of the "reduced air" prices from our neighboring airports. I ran some flights directly with the airlines, and found that 2021 flight prices around the same time we would be going in 2022 are roughly the same price - more or less $25 - $50 per person with the airline that my husband has medallion status. I think for the hassle of not being able to control our own destiny, and with the potential for getting free baggage and upgrades due to his status, it is probably better to decline the reduced air. Of course, prices will probably go up over the course of that year, but it seems like for peace of mind, it's worth it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, kesrya said:

Thanks that was helpful. I found the terms and conditions. While I don't see anything in there that is necessarily a deal breaker, there was a chart of the "reduced air" prices from our neighboring airports. I ran some flights directly with the airlines, and found that 2021 flight prices around the same time we would be going in 2022 are roughly the same price - more or less $25 - $50 per person with the airline that my husband has medallion status. I think for the hassle of not being able to control our own destiny, and with the potential for getting free baggage and upgrades due to his status, it is probably better to decline the reduced air. Of course, prices will probably go up over the course of that year, but it seems like for peace of mind, it's worth it.

Pricing is unique and comparing a year out,  probably is pretty worthless.   🙂    What "peace of mind"  are you referring to?     Also,  the transfers do not,  in most cases take you to-  your hotel.    It will be 1/2 central locations.   

Absolutely you "need" a car in Iceland.   🙂    Even on my single day cruise port visit I had one.   

1 minute ago, gravitar said:

I don't see any current promos for reduced/free air. Maybe this is for cruises originating in countries other than the US.

I just got a  NCL email today-  of the new promotion.   International travel to Europe.  

6 minutes ago, gravitar said:

I don't see any current promos for reduced/free air. Maybe this is for cruises originating in countries other than the US.

"Available on select sailings"

Check the T/C's and "Cruise Deals" on the main NCL page.

12 minutes ago, gravitar said:

Yes, as I mentioned in my original post, this would be for a cruise round trip from Iceland. If you look on the main website, there is a drop down link from the top menu that shows you all the terms and conditions for free / reduced air as well as a chart as to which departure ports it applies to.

14 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Pricing is unique and comparing a year out,  probably is pretty worthless.   🙂    What "peace of mind"  are you referring to?     Also,  the transfers do not,  in most cases take you to-  your hotel.    It will be 1/2 central locations.   

Absolutely you "need" a car in Iceland.   🙂    Even on my single day cruise port visit I had one.   

Given the craziness of the world and travel right now, I'd agree that anything can happen to those prices over the course of a year. But in general, I usually plan my international trips out a year or two in advance and have not found the flight prices to change that dramatically. The key is looking for flight prices the same time of the year you will be traveling. The "reduced air" price on a airline I don't get to choose, on dates I don't get to choose, with up to 2 layovers per the terms and conditions, and not including baggage would be $499. Plus we'd have to pay $100 for our family to be permitted to go 2 days early. I can see flights on the airline my husband has his platinum medallion status through June 2021 right now, and they are $500, we'd get free checked baggage, we'd get to choose a flight with only one, 3 hour layover, and we could go however many days ahead of our cruise as we want. Plus he frequently gets free upgrades and free drinks.  So even if the price of the flight increases, those are the peace of mind perks that seem to make booking our own flight and turning down the "reduced" air that isn't really reduced. Plus it looks like the terms and condition says that reduced air cannot be changed, transferred, or refunded for any reason - and his airline lets him make no cost changes and transfers all the time.

• Like 1