Alaska round trip out of Seattle

minniegidget

I have a window cabin now on Carnival Freedom for May 2021 but thinking about upgrading to a balcony.  Is there a better side to be on? I'm thinking because it is round trip in really does not matter. 

Thanks for the help. 

Minniegidget

If you look around the board, this is discussed frequently. No, there is no "better side".  You will be out and about, not locked in your cabin, and looking at things from all over the ship. The scenery is on both sides, and is huge, not small and requiring being in some special spot to see it. Plus, a lot of your sailing will be at night, or out to sea during the day.

Cruiser Bruce is correct, "there is no better side."  Even if the weather is "not so good," spend time on your balcony wearing a jacket.  Pay attention to the signs - "bait balls" will attract birds and marine mammals.  Look for whales and scan the shoreline for bears.  Bald eagles can be seen overhead and in trees.  Look for their characteristic white heads and listen for their distinctive calls.  Alaska has abundant wildlife.  The landscape scenery is amazing - so many islands, inlets and coves - photo worthy views to say the least.

You have only to spend some time on your balcony (either side of the ship.)

However-  if Glacier Bay is visited AND you are NOT going to leave your cabin-  the port side lines up with the commentary and first views of glaciers.

I never would compromise and miss 50% of my viewing.  so it’s a huge benefit to be on the move.  🤩.  

• Like 1

We rarely get a balcony and couldn’t imagine being on a balcony while traveling through Glacier Bay but would get a starboard cabin for it.  I do understand the commentary angle but feel the advantage of starboard is that you are closer to the shoreline affording better views of possible wildlife sightings. Mountain goats at Gloomy Knob come to mind which would be missed from the port side. Also occasional sightings of brown bears.

3 hours ago, Glaciers said:

We rarely get a balcony and couldn’t imagine being on a balcony while traveling through Glacier Bay but would get a starboard cabin for it.  I do understand the commentary angle but feel the advantage of starboard is that you are closer to the shoreline affording better views of possible wildlife sightings. Mountain goats at Gloomy Knob come to mind which would be missed from the port side. Also occasional sightings of brown bears.

A coin toss for sure.  🙂    But,  I've also seen a lot of wildlife on the port side too.    I'm always on the move.   It is magnificent isn't it?   

3 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

A coin toss for sure.  🙂    But,  I've also seen a lot of wildlife on the port side too.    I'm always on the move.   It is magnificent isn't it?   

Yes, it's exceptional and  there are no bad seats, unless you stay on your balcony.

• Like 1