New Innovations for Cruise Passengers

kitty9

Since it seems that the powers that be in the cruise industry feel that passengers have become bored with everything they currently have on ships, I think we should assist them with coming up with new and innovative ideas to keep passengers active. We already have ice rinks, rock climbing, golf, and now bowling and boxing, so lets get creative so the cruise executives can put even more insane things on their ships.

Here are my suggestions:

Pole vaulting over the topless deck.

Arena Football with full contact hitting

Bobsledding with the end of the course being the pool (if the Jamaicans can do it, so can cruise ships)

I would LOVE to see a lazy river pool like they have in the waterparks. It seems such a waste of space to have features that only one person can use at a time like the flowrider,or boxing ring, and features that only a few can use at a time like bowling. A lazy river could be used by many at the same time.

And for you who love those extreme sports, how about parasailing from the back of the ship..........

Some of the smaller ships, including Windstar and Sea Dream, have sports decks that lower into the water. No parasailing from the deck, but the ships can arrange it from a motor boat. So this isn't as extreme as you think.

I think the British budget line is bringing back cafeteria food similar to the stuff at British public schools. That will probably lead to a new cruise activity, food fights. With Celebrity's pillow menu, we can have organized pillow fights.

Ha, that's nothing - my ratty 8 year old Volvo wagon has heated seats, too. Only problem being that his highness (see my avatar) rides on them, so when you turn on the seats, it's like a wet-dog-scented room "freshener." :p

For the new mega ships, seems that weather and propusion pods are often a problem. Why not just combine a few movie studio ideas with a few suburban malls! Plunk a dry-docked cruise ship in side a large hangar space, complete with artificial sun, and with large movie screens all around the sides of the hangar. Put the whole thing in the middle of the Secaucus Mall, and show movies of the ocean passing by on all sides. Then, on "port days," you could get off, and just wonder around the mall, and get back on the ship. No more missing pax because their shore excursion was late. No pod problems. No more ''we're out of fresh fish, Ma'am" (They can just run to Kroeger's) No tendering lines. And the mall stores could even have different "theme" days, so you'd feel like you actually went somewhere. Store staff would just have to practice different accents, based on the theme of the day. Plenty of parking, unlike most ports, and the locals wouldn't necessarily offend you, like in some of those "foreign" places (well, o.k., I did say New Jersey, so that part might not change!;) )

Just a thought.

(Disclaimer: New Jersey is a lovely state, and involves much more than malls, big haired teenagers and toxic waste. Why some of my best [now-apparently ex-]friends come from there.):D

Andrew

Ha, that's nothing - my ratty 8 year old Volvo wagon has heated seats, too. Only problem being that his highness (see my avatar) rides on them, so when you turn on the seats, it's like a wet-dog-scented room "freshener." :p

For the new mega ships, seems that weather and propusion pods are often a problem. Why not just combine a few movie studio ideas with a few suburban malls! Plunk a dry-docked cruise ship in side a large hangar space, complete with artificial sun, and with large movie screens all around the sides of the hangar. Put the whole thing in the middle of the Secaucus Mall, and show movies of the ocean passing by on all sides. Then, on "port days," you could get off, and just wonder around the mall, and get back on the ship. No more missing pax because their shore excursion was late. No pod problems. No more ''we're out of fresh fish, Ma'am" (They can just run to Kroeger's) No tendering lines. And the mall stores could even have different "theme" days, so you'd feel like you actually went somewhere. Store staff would just have to practice different accents, based on the theme of the day. Plenty of parking, unlike most ports, and the locals wouldn't necessarily offend you, like in some of those "foreign" places (well, o.k., I did say New Jersey, so that part might not change!;) )

Just a thought.

(Disclaimer: New Jersey is a lovely state, and involves much more than malls, big haired teenagers and toxic waste. Why some of my best [now-apparently ex-]friends come from there.):D

Andrew

What a lovely idea...a virtual cruise! That would avoid the excessive port charges, the long, hot lines, waiting for the tenders, and it would definately result in "smooth seas"...unless you wanted to add a wave motion to simulate rough seas...

Karyn

And use the freeways to go from one end of the ship to the other.

Blazerboy, you certainly don't know Joisey. Secaucus is the outlet capital of the state, but the malls are definitely below par. Even from a Megamonster ship, the outlets are too widely spaced for walking (and I walk two or three miles every day, more on weekends).

We love NJ, but we're used to putdowns. In my reponse to Danno's tread on service, I even put down Joisey myself. At least we don't have earthquakes, smog, and mud slides like some states!

And use the freeways to go from one end of the ship to the other.

Great idea for New Jersey, and then, instead of asking what cabin, we can just ask "what exit." I hear the locals are already doing that!:D

:) JoanandJoe, having grown up in Boston, and attended school in PA, I actually know New Jersey quite well, and am well aware of the unfortunate stereotypes that people (yes, even me!:o ) use, knowing that they're not true! Perhaps, like you, I should stick to making fun of my own state: California is often the victim of the same thing. :)

But honestly, we don't ALL get plastic surgery, surf, or call eachother by saying "yo' dude.":D But it is "totally tubular" living out here!

Andrew

Andrew, As I am one of those who live in NJ, your idea is not so bad as I could go on that ship more often as it is only a few exits for me to get to. I could get off and buy some more cruise clothes.:) :) I am glad that you know that NJ has mountains, lakes, the seashore and farmlands. We are more than just our exits.:D Pat

Archived