Port of Miami "scales down" new cruise terminals

Cienfuegos

Miami Today reports that the Port of Miami staff and Disney / MSC have agreed to changes in plans for a new MSC mega-terminal, garages, and space for two 7,000 passenger ships.  The changes would add Disney to the terminal, and give MSC additional time to seek funding for the terminal. 

I haven't seen any  discussion of the proposed Virgin ship terminal in a while.

https://www.miamitodaynews.com/2020/07/14/scaled-down-portmiami-cruise-terminal-deal-adds-disney/

It's disappointing to me that in this press release that MSC has re-affirmed its commitment to the Port of Miami.  Another 7000 car parking garage which will hold 7000 cars along with all of the existing congested traffic entering and leaving the Port on prime sailing days.  Is the Port of Miami going to build a more guest friendly driving/parking situation than now exists to accommodate this traffic?  If so, how and where is the land space to do so?  

I believe the plan is to slice off a little bit of the cargo processing area to allow for the MSC expansion and other improvements. The cruise business and the cargo business are enormous economic drivers for the local economy.

I haven't seen anything about improving the traffic flow in the port area. The "new" tunnel is a huge improvement over what had been the norm before.

20 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

I haven't seen anything about improving the traffic flow in the port area. The "new" tunnel is a huge improvement over what had been the norm before.

Did not use the tunnel to arrive at the Port in January.  Drove South on US 1 to the connecting street into the Port and that was easy to do.  The further I drove on Dodge Island and got to where I needed to go to get to Terminal F, the worse it became.  Traffic was terrible, signage was close to non-existent, but, appreciatively, there were many very courteous drivers that allowed me to get to where I needed to go--inch by inch.  If the Port does not do something to improve the traffic flow within the area, yet increase the number and size of the ships serving the Port, the traffic situation will only become more of a nightmare.

Thank you for that report. I am not aware that major traffic flow changes are planned. 

I will look for an updated site plan, since I want to see how the Virgin cruise terminal and rail facility fit into the limited space on the island. That could be  another messy situation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In related news, BrightLine trains has announced it has severed its agreements with Virgin Cruises, and will no longer pay licensing fees to Virgin.  The Virgin name will be removed from the rail company's branding, and, presumably removed from the stations.

Virgin's representatives have met with the Port of Miami staff to discuss the cruise terminal project in the context of scaled back cruise activity. POM has a request for proposals on the proposed terminal, but I don't believe any ground has been broken, etc.  No word on the rail terminal in the Port.

19 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

POM has a request for proposals on the proposed terminal, but I don't believe any ground has been

Is this the proposed MSC/Disney terminal and garage?  Was Virgin planning to have a terminal of their own?  

The Disney / MSC facility is apparently a GO, but a new construction schedule may be introduced. Virgin had planned a second terminal, with a railroad station connected to BrightLine (Virgin Trains, briefly)

My understanding is the Virgin Cruises terminal + rail facility was to be in the northwest corner of the island, while the Disney / MSC facility is at the other end of the long row of cruise ships. At the northeast end of the current cruise ship space, with a small slice of the cargo facility carved  away for the garage.

I'm open to corrections, it's been a while since I've seen a map, and the Port may not have issued any updates yet.

Virgin's plans for the hotel has also fallen through 

On 8/9/2020 at 7:34 PM, Cienfuegos said:

In related news, BrightLine trains has announced it has severed its agreements with Virgin Cruises, and will no longer pay licensing fees to Virgin.  The Virgin name will be removed from the rail company's branding, and, presumably removed from the stations.

Virgin's representatives have met with the Port of Miami staff to discuss the cruise terminal project in the context of scaled back cruise activity. POM has a request for proposals on the proposed terminal, but I don't believe any ground has been broken, etc.  No word on the rail terminal in the Port.

I'll have to go see if the branding is gone from the downtown terminal yet.

Virgin was also building a hotel in Brickell which had been a huge thing.  I was excited about the live music venue but alas, that's not happening.

On 8/12/2020 at 4:23 PM, Host CJSKIDS said:

Virgin's plans for the hotel has also fallen through 

I'll have to go see if the branding is gone from the downtown terminal yet.

Virgin was also building a hotel in Brickell which had been a huge thing.  I was excited about the live music venue but alas, that's not happening.

Mr. Branson "bit off more than he could chew", particularly at this point in time?