CHINA Visa Question

zoncom

1 hour ago, zoncom said:

Somewhere here the other day I saw some new info on a shorter, less expensive China Visa? Anyone have the info source?

I did some looking around.  I don't find a "shorter" or "cheaper" one than what's been issued in the past years.  For a tourist there's only one (L).  More information here:

https://visarite.com/visatype.htm

If you plan to spend just a few days (up to about 144 hours) in China pre- or post-cruise and you arrive & depart through a limited choice of gateways your visit might qualify as being "in-transit" and therefore visa-free.

Very broadly you must arrive from one country (eg fly in from USA) and depart to a different country (eg cruise out with the first port in South Korea), and your travel within China is limited to the (large) area near that Chinese city.

The terms are very specific, and if sailing in to a Chinese port you will need to check with the cruise line that they'll permit you to disembark using the 144-hour visa-free exemption.

And for a short visit to Hainan Island (eg port-of-call at Sanya) this too can be visa-free, subject to conditions.

When asking about visas & such it's always best to quote your nationality because answers are different for different nationalities (mebbe add your location eg city or state or country in your header?)

Both of these visa-free options are available to nationals of most countries incl USA, Canada, Aus & most European countries,

Visa-free needs checking before relying on it, because circumstances can change.

And there's a degree of bureaucracy - but nowhere near the cost or bureaucracy of arranging a tourist visa.

JB :classic_smile:

15 minutes ago, zoncom said:

I have a 2015 China Visa in my old passport. Still good?

No way for us to know.  You'd have to look at it.  It's possible it's still good (if it's one of the 10 year ones).  If it is, you'll need to carry both your new and old passports, since you can't move it from one to the other.

All visa's to China were canceled as of March, you need a new application.

As others have mentioned you can transit under unique circumstances, but there is a world wide pandemic and highly unlikely if you are traveling from anywhere hot you will be able to even fly international at all.  

25 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Totally?  As in the one I have in my passport is not good any longer, even though I have 7 more years on it?  Or just suspended until further notice?

https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/wjbxw/t1761867.shtml

Like you I have a mult-year;  10 year business entrance visa and APAC as well.

Not sure what bucket you will fall into, but I know if and when I restart I need a re-application and I go there a lot, LOL 

F568ED87-13CB-4F8D-A723-97C319FE944F.jpeg

Edited by chipmaster

36 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/wjbxw/t1761867.shtml

Like you I have a mult-year;  10 year business entrance visa and APAC as well.

Not sure what bucket you will fall into, but I know if and when I restart I need a re-application and I go there a lot, LOL 

F568ED87-13CB-4F8D-A723-97C319FE944F.jpeg

We just have the tourist visa (L type).  That link says that all visas are " temporarily suspend the entry into China by foreign nationals holding visas or residence permits still valid to the time of this announcement, effective from 0 a.m., 28 march 2020."  Sound like, if this situation resolves anytime before the original expiration date of my visa it would still be good.

It also says, any visas issued since Mar 26 are good, covering anyone who still needs to travel to China.