Latest Delta News

chapdaddy

The deadline is March 1 so you will be hearing some news around 2/28 if not sooner. That's my BD, incidentally, so I'm hoping Delta gives me a nice gift by settling the contract and allowing me to quit fretting over my 5/19 flight to Rome!

The deadline is March 1 so you will be hearing some news around 2/28 if not sooner. That's my BD, incidentally, so I'm hoping Delta gives me a nice gift by settling the contract and allowing me to quit fretting over my 5/19 flight to Rome!

Happy BD, :) Cori

I have custom air through Celebrity for June. Have chosen Delta because it is the only non-stop flight to destination. What will X do if Delta strikes? Will my headache be the same as if I had scheduled myself? Thanks for your help.

A lot depends on when a strike happens and how long it lasts. Will there even be a Delta if this strike happens?

IF Delta strikes, you will essentially be in the same position as all other Delta fliers, since your seats are already booked on Delta. Strike displaced passengers will be handled on a space available basis on other airlines. The only difference is X will make the arrangements, not you. That said, I would be prepared with alternative airlines and routes that you can "suggest" to X. It will be one big headache in X air-sea dept. if a strike happens and it only stands to reason that being able to offer alternatives is one step ahead of the game.

When you look for alternatives DO NOT pick the non-stops or the easy ones on other airlines. Those will most likely go to Delta Elite FF or higher fare class passengers displaced by a strike. Instead, choose something off the wall. EXample: You live in Atlanta. Delta to Anchorage is scheduled by X, maybe with a stop in SEA or LAX. Alternatives likely to get you to Anchorage. AA Atl to DFW, DFW to Anc (2 flights per day) or ATL to DFW, DFW to ORD (Chicago) ORD to ANC (5 flights per day-two through Denver, one through Seattle and 2 non-stops).

It won't be convenient, but you should be able to come up with alternatives that will at least get you to your cruise on time.

Keep in mind that it is very doubtful that the Federal government will allow the Delta pilots to strike.

If they do strike there are rules about other airlines honoring tickets, but let's face it there is no way that the other carriers can pick up even 25% of Delta's potentially displaced passengers.

I too was just notified that my flights were changed. Instead of Burbank to Atlanta to FLL, they are now routing me from FLL, to Atlanta, to Salt Lake City, to Burbank. The flight connecting to Salt Lake leaves BEFORE the flight is scheduled to arrive in Atlanta. I plan on also canceling and rebooking with AA. I am glad to hear you were refunded no problems.

I too was just notified that my flights were changed. Instead of Burbank to Atlanta to FLL, they are now routing me from FLL, to Atlanta, to Salt Lake City, to Burbank. The flight connecting to Salt Lake leaves BEFORE the flight is scheduled to arrive in Atlanta. I plan on also canceling and rebooking with AA. I am glad to hear you were refunded no problems.

I should add that they gave us the refund without problem after I explained that the flight they had bumped us onto was actually leaving at the beginning of our wedding reception! They had moved us up about 9 hours earlier...I think the fact that the connection is leaving before the arrival of your flight will qualify to them as a good reason to cancel! Good luck.

I just booked with Delta for this June. The flights and costs were way better than AA. Everyone else was over a $100 more per person. For me to fly out to Orlando, I'd have to take a turbo prop to Los Angles, MD 80 to St. Louis and another MD 80 to Orlando. Mind you, those old MD 80's offer NO entertainment at all, no movie , zip!

As I understand it, if the union and Delta don't come to an agreement, it goes to arbitration. If it is binding, then there is no possibility of a strike.

We just got back from our cruise. We were flying Delta Song and had no problems going down to PR. On our way back they asked us if we wanted to voluntarily be bumped to American. Only a half hour difference in time-we got $200 each!! We had good tickets to begin with. Our round trip flight during President's week only cost us $39 each plus tax!!:) :)

We like Song--we wish they wouldn't go under!

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/delta/stories/0228bizdelta.html I have been researching this intensely as I have tickets booked with them for our cruise April 23rd. We fly out the 22nd, 1 wk after the arbitration deadline.As this article states, it is doubtful they will strike.If I find out anything more, will post it here.:) Jax

Hello: We are flying Delta Song on the 3-25, I think we will be ok, the cooling off period will be mid April. I don't know if it helps , but my DH talked with a long time Delta pilot yesterday and his feeling was that they wouldn't strike, if that means anything ? Hope all goes well for everyone and their plans, it is so frustrating to be worrying about this stuff.

Cori

My family of 4, my mom, inlaws, and 18 family members are flying from JFK to SJU on April 8 (we got r/t tickets for $179 that I thought were great at the time but now wish I didn't have the stress). My mom, inlaws will be flying back on AA so that is ok. My family will stay in Puerto Rico for another week after our cruise and not coming back until April 21 and would HATE to end a fantastic cruise and post week vacation, being stranded, looking for flights and paying quadruple of what we originally paid. I hope it works out ok for everyone.

It looks like my flight will be ok the first week of April....I really don't think they will strike but the hard line taken by both sides does not sound good. I understand the workers holding out for everything they can out of this deal but, it sounds like a strike at this time would be fatal to Delta.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=businessNews&storyid=2006-03-06T214735Z_01_N06283745_RTRUKOC_0_US-AIRLINES-DELTA-BANKRUPTCY.xml

The two sides struck a deal in December to have the contract issue decided by a three-person arbitration panel if they failed to negotiate an agreement. Two of the panel's members have been chosen by the union and one by the airline.

The arbitration hearings are scheduled to take place in Washington beginning March 13, with a ruling due by April 15.

Northwest Airlines Corp. <NWACQ.PK>, which filed for bankruptcy protection on the same day as Delta, reached tentative deals with its pilots' and flight attendants' unions last week after a similar standoff.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

Although I am concerned about Delta my flights are acually on Comair which is going through the same process and not doing much better.

http://news.kypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060303/NEWS02/603030366/1014

The battle at Comair seems to be with the Flight Attendants.

The bankruptcy court overseeing Delta's reorganization is scheduled to conduct hearings on voiding the Comair flight attendants' contract March 27-29 in New York and to rule on the matter April 10.

I'm cruising HAL Oosterdam 8/26 out of Seattle and am pricing RT fares from Tulsa. Right now the best fares appear to be either Delta or American. Delta is cheaper by a few pennies (literally).

I have to admit that I, too, am concerned about encountering a strike and/or airline shutdown before my cruise. Would you recommend I book on American instead?

We're looking at flights for our cruise in Dec. We're flying down early to see my parents in Ft. Myers, the only direct flights from Columbus is on Delta/Chautauqua. If Delta strikes, will this have an impact on our flight? I'm thinking not, but thought I'd ask. We want direct flights only and they are the only airline that flys direct from Columbus to Ft. Myers.

Thanks

Kim

Archived