Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

Just now, Solent Richard said:

Do remind me of the rules: Does the port HAVE to have an image of a Cunard ship in the photograph please?

The original rules did indeed suggest the photos were supposed to include a Cunard ship. But then we informally bent the rules to accept port photos simply taken from a Cunard ship. Then to keep things going, we further relaxed the rules to accept photos showing a Cunard port even if it was taken during a cruise on another line and does not show a Cunard ship. Lately we've been accepting photos showing some feature of a Cunard port that do not include any ships at all. So, as you can see, we have become quite flexible lately in what we will accept to keep this game going. At this point, it realistically just needs to be a photo showing a Cunard port as far as I am concerned.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

The original rules did indeed suggest the photos were supposed to include a Cunard ship. But then we informally bent the rules to accept port photos simply taken from a Cunard ship. Then to keep things going, we further relaxed the rules to accept photos showing a Cunard port even if it was taken during a cruise on another line and does not show a Cunard ship. Lately we've been accepting photos showing some feature of a Cunard port that do not include any ships at all. So, as you can see, we have become quite flexible lately in what we will accept to keep this game going. At this point, it realistically just needs to be a photo showing a Cunard port as far as I am concerned.

Thank you kind Sir for the clarification.

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

... Meanwhile here's one Port not yet featured and definitely not on your latest country list...

DSCN8660.jpg

I think I picked up on a hint when you typed "Port" with an uppercase "P". That led me to investigate Cunard ports we haven't seen yet which include the word "Port". It didn't take too long from there to match this photo to Port Victoria, Seychelles.

It looks like the ship in this photo is QV. If so, I'd say there's something particularly appropriate about seeing Queen Victoria in Port Victoria.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carlmm said:

Here is a port I thought about already before reading the list so kindly provided by  @bluemarble.

Quest E 8a.jpg

The two vans at the bottom of the photo both have open doors on the right side, suggesting a country that drives on the left.  With the post coming soon after @bluemarble's  inspiration list, that might imply Thailand or Malaysia.  But I can't find a match to the blue container cranes or the pier configuration.  I also can't make out the writing on the cranes.  

I tried Port Klang, Penang, Laem Chabang, Koh Samui, and Phuket.   I probably have fallen down a rabbit hole again.

2 hours ago, sfred said:

The two vans at the bottom of the photo both have open doors on the right side, suggesting a country that drives on the left. 

Actually cars and other motorized vehicles drive on the right side in this country.

Otherwise you are not to far off. 😉

50 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Actually cars and other motorized vehicles drive on the right side in this country.

Otherwise you are not to far off. 😉

Thanks for that correction.  I was going with the odds that the open right side van doors were on the driver sides.  Of course there was the chance that the open doors could both be on the passenger sides.

I think this is Phu My Vietnam, the port for Ho Chi Minh City?  I think I see on Google Maps the blue crane at the International Container Terminal, and also the brown coloured building at the left.  The slightly taller building at the right might be the Tan Cang-Cai Mep Container building?

• Like 2

Thanks!  I'm gaining a new appreciation for the huge diversity in colours, shapes, and sizes of container cargo cranes in the world's ports.  I never really paid much attention previously, and had presumed some evolutionary trend towards an engineering optimum configuration.  But every port is different, and even separate piers in the same port are often different. 

4 hours ago, sfred said:

...  I also can't make out the writing on the cranes.  ...

56 minutes ago, sfred said:

...  The slightly taller building at the right might be the Tan Cang-Cai Mep Container building?

To add another detail to the story, I've found a photo of that blue crane at the left of @carlmm's photo where I can just barely make out the top line of lettering to read "TAN CANG-CAI MEP JOINT STOCK COMPANY".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sfred said:

I think this is Phu My Vietnam, the port for Ho Chi Minh City?  

Congratulations! Absolutely correct.

To add an interesting fact: Some cruise ships even dock directly in Saigon. Yet the current ships are certainly to big for that.

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

To add another detail to the story, I've found a photo of that blue crane at the left of @carlmm's photo where I can just barely make out the top line of lettering to read "TAN CANG-CAI MEP JOINT STOCK COMPANY".

You gathered more information that I had my self who took the photo, @bluemarble!

12 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think I picked up on a hint when you typed "Port" with an uppercase "P". That led me to investigate Cunard ports we haven't seen yet which include the word "Port". It didn't take too long from there to match this photo to Port Victoria, Seychelles.

It looks like the ship in this photo is QV. If so, I'd say there's something particularly appropriate about seeing Queen Victoria in Port Victoria.

Oh BlueMarble, you really are good at this game: and of course perfectly correct.

That photograph was taken on 2nd April 2019 on the Singapore to Cape Town leg of Queen Victoria's World Cruise.

We took a 'private' tour of Mahe and that photograph was taken as we returned from the 'Bel Hombre' Treasure and Heritage' site...

158371737_BelOmbreTreasuresite3.jpg.279dba3072ff2ce812165f7be79df81f.jpg

Any members unfamiliar with what to do and see while on a ship visit to The Seychelles can view my comprehensive review featured on my cruise blog...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2019/12/29/one-way-to-do-mahe-seychelles/

5 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Tough call this one. 

I agree!  The horizon has a wind turbine, a water tower, and what might be a electric generator, or some other type of factory.  The sunrise or sunset implies a pier with a north/south configuration.  And the palm trees indicate a tropics location.  But I can't find a match.  I've tried the other ports in Vietnam, and also Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, and nearby Indonesia.  The water tower might also imply the US, but no match to Florida (Port Everglades or Canaveral) or Charleston, Savannah, or Galveston (I don't know if Cunard has been there, but it is a common cruise port so I checked it out). 

@bluemarbleprobably recognised it at a glance!  😃

42 minutes ago, sfred said:

...  The sunrise or sunset implies a pier with a north/south configuration.  And the palm trees indicate a tropics location. ...

Sunset !

My chance to take a sunrise photo is rather limited 😉

11 hours ago, sfred said:

I agree!  The horizon has a wind turbine, a water tower, and what might be a electric generator, or some other type of factory.  The sunrise or sunset implies a pier with a north/south configuration.  And the palm trees indicate a tropics location.  But I can't find a match.  I've tried the other ports in Vietnam, and also Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, and nearby Indonesia.  The water tower might also imply the US, but no match to Florida (Port Everglades or Canaveral) or Charleston, Savannah, or Galveston (I don't know if Cunard has been there, but it is a common cruise port so I checked it out). 

@bluemarbleprobably recognised it at a glance!  😃

My thoughts were certainly to the United States though I didn't have much luck following the Mississippi up to New Orleans.

My problem is that I'm not even sure it was taken from a a ship.

Anyway, hurry up and identify someone: I'e got another one on the stocks. 😂

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

My problem is that I'm not even sure it was taken from a a ship.

It was taken from the ship. I do not remember if from the balcony or from deck.

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Anyway, hurry up and identify someone: I'e got another one on the stocks. 😂

I' am looking forward to your next photo.

3 hours ago, carlmm said:

Too easy now?

Here is a photo taken earlier that day including another cruise ship.

Quest E 9e.JPG

@bluemarble is back on the job this morning. I think this one is San Juan, Puerto Rico. Looks like this photo may have been taken from the Castillo de San Cristóbal.

The cruise ship in this photo is one of the Carnival Conquest class ships (Conquest, Glory, Valor, Liberty or Freedom).

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

@bluemarble is back on the job this morning. I think this one is San Juan, Puerto Rico. Looks like this photo may have been taken from the Castillo de San Cristóbal.

The cruise ship in this photo is one of the Carnival Conquest class ships (Conquest, Glory, Valor, Liberty or Freedom).

Perfect @bluemarble. Yes, the photo has been taken from the Castillo de San Cristóbal. 

The buildings in the first picture belong to the US coast guard station in St Juan.

There were many more ships in port that day.

6 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Perfect @bluemarble. Yes, the photo has been taken from the Castillo de San Cristóbal. 

The buildings in the first picture belong to the US coast guard station in St Juan.

There were many more ships in port that day.

So that is a US port after all. @sfred and @Solent Richard were on the right track about that. It's not our missing US port from the list of top 100 most visited ports, but a most welcome addition to our Cunard ports list nonetheless.

The structures in the distance in the right half of the photo, including the wind turbine, appear to be on the grounds of Casa BACARDÍ (the Bacardi Rum Distillery).

The water tower in the photo might be the one located in Levittown, Puerto Rico. If so, that's a good 4-5 miles away by my calculations.

Congratulations @bluemarble it's funny how one equates 'landmarks' with countries. (In that case the water tower). Funnily enough I sailed on my first ever Cunard cruise from St Juan - Cunard Countess in 1990  - and I remember distinctly as we transited to the ship pointing out to my wife the venue of one of my most notorious Royal Naval escapades - The Black Angus bar. That dated back to 1973 while cruising on the Grey Funnel Line's HMS Bulwark...

1130070962_BulwarkenteringSanJuan1973.thumb.jpg.05585207911832b8bb5cf42be655cd36.jpg

But I digress,  😁 I have an unvisited Cunard port to tease you with...

• Like 2