Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

The structures in the distance in the right half of the photo, including the wind turbine, appear to be on the grounds of Casa BACARDÍ (the Bacardi Rum Distillery).

The water tower in the photo might be the one located in Levittown, Puerto Rico. If so, that's a good 4-5 miles away by my calculations.

I never would have picked San Juan.  Well done, @bluemarble.  The water tower being 4-5 miles away explains my failure from one of the google searches for "water towers near cruise ports". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

So here is a Cunard visit that hasn't featured yet, or certainly doesn't appear on the list.

An early morning approach...

749551428_1Approach.thumb.jpg.53d8a8a77466f5448eaf1aed2cc10f24.jpg 

Another good one. I think we have a trend here. This is another US port we haven't seen here before (but not yet the missing US port on the top 100 list of most visited ports by the current Cunard fleet).

I think this is Pago Pago, American Samoa. Or more precisely, given that this is an approach photo, Pago Pago would be hidden behind the hills on the left half of this photo. My research says sail past Fatu Rock (aka Flowerpot Rock) shown protruding from the water at the center of this photo and then hang a left (or rather steer to port) to reach Pago Pago.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Another good one. I think we have a trend here. This is another US port we haven't seen here before (but not yet the missing US port on the top 100 list of most visited ports by the current Cunard fleet).

I think this is Pago Pago, American Samoa. Or more precisely, given that this is an approach photo, Pago Pago would be hidden behind the hills on the left half of this photo. My research says sail past Fatu Rock (aka Flowerpot Rock) shown protruding from the water at the center of this photo and then hang a left (or rather steer to port) to reach Pago Pago.

Spot on Bluemarble  - Pago Pago on American Samoa - and I didn't even need to give a second clue, a distance shot of the most popular 'Crew' bar in the Pacific, The Barefoot Bar...

1669273504_3MostfamousBar.thumb.jpg.d786e1f8e02328a07521dd5809916a58.jpg

1968795287_2MostfamousBar.thumb.jpg.a329ce33903d176f6a8c4f3ef59bb180.jpg

Needless to say you can see what ship we arrived on....

107059695_4Arrivalwelcome.thumb.jpg.5b5ea449509562671efc9652a1094b4c.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Good morning again Bluemarble.

Would this port be of interest...

1597612566_Whereintheworld2.jpg.14c121ecce0777446f30249064b85c46.jpg

2 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

That looks like St John's Newfoundland.

Sure is Colin. Well done and another one for Bluemarble's list.

They are the Newfoundland and Labrador dogs and found in the Harbourside Park.

Edited by Solent Richard

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Would this port be of interest...

Most definitely.

2 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

That looks like St John's Newfoundland.

Some of you may remember last November we had a discussion here about various Cunard ports with identical or similar names. At that point we came up with these four Cunard ports named for Saint John.

St John's, Antigua

St John's, Newfoundland

Saint John, New Brunswick

San Juan, Puerto Rico

At that point we had not yet seen photos of any of those four ports.

Last month @kmerlin14 broke the ice by posting a photo of Saint John, New Brunswick. Now within the past few days @carlmm has contributed San Juan, Puerto Rico and @Solent Richard has added St John's Newfoundland.

I posted a photo of Antigua fairly early on in this thread. That photo showed QM2 anchored off the south coast of Antigua during the 2013 Christmas cruise. The port of St John's is on the northwest coast of Antigua. The daily programmes from that 2013 voyage indicate the port for that visit to Antigua was English Harbour. So, although we have seen Antigua on this thread, we haven't seen the port of St John's, Antigua yet.

Does anyone have a photo of the port of St John's, Antigua to contribute? That would be a most welcome addition to complete our set of four Cunard ports named for Saint John.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Port and (ex-Cunard) ship?

CD032.jpg

I'll start with identifying the port. That was fast. This looks like a match to St John's, Antigua which I just requested to complete our list of the four Cunard ports named for Saint John. Thank you very much for this contribution.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I'll start with identifying the port. That was fast. This looks like a match to St John's, Antigua which I just requested to complete our list of the four Cunard ports named for Saint John. Thank you very much for this contribution.

Well that took longer than I thought it’s would.😁 Even if it was worded to not help.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I posted a photo of Antigua fairly early on in this thread. That photo showed QM2 anchored off the south coast of Antigua during the 2013 Christmas cruise. The port of St John's is on the northwest coast of Antigua. The daily programmes from that 2013 voyage indicate the port for that visit to Antigua was English Harbour. So, although we have seen Antigua on this thread, we haven't seen the port of St John's, Antigua yet.

Does anyone have a photo of the port of St John's, Antigua to contribute? That would be a most welcome addition to complete our set of four Cunard ports named for Saint John.

No problem...

176944557_StJohnsJettywithSeaPrincess.jpg.8b79af9278064b51d2ee39d593ed03ec.jpg

2126744692_AntiguaStJohnsJettywithSeaPrincess.jpg.bf84ea662b688f0330e2981dd77b6e65.jpg

548487628_AntiguaStJohns.jpg.ba8ad86f42402d9dea289f600f87f8df.jpg

Queen Elizabeth's 'Festive Debut cruise' visit to St John's,  Antigua on 23 December 2010

I can add at least one other port still not on the list but can only find digital photographs of the excursion we took from that particular ship - scanned some time ago from the hard copy photographs. It should be reasonably easy to guess both the port and Cunarder that we were sailing on...

1657020181_WhereintheWorld3.thumb.jpg.7a6956769a864721f970ff05b9a829bd.jpg

4 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

I can add at least one other port still not on the list but can only find digital photographs of the excursion we took from that particular ship - scanned some time ago from the hard copy photographs. It should be reasonably easy to guess both the port and Cunarder that we were sailing on...

Which port offers easy access to a desert?

We have seen Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

The sand looks quite fine-grained.

No rock formations.

I try Salaha.

Edited by carlmm

4 hours ago, carlmm said:

Which port offers easy access to a desert?

We have seen Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

The sand looks quite fine-grained.

No rock formations.

I try Salaha.

Perhaps Morocco, although we've already seen Casablanca on the tracking list.

Australia's desert interior is rather empty, but not as empty as that photo!  😎

Edited by sfred

I tried a google search for "desert quad bike cruise excursion" to see if any images appeared of a yellow and white polaris trail blazer.  No luck, but two additional possibilities for a port came up:  Hurghada or Sharm in Eqypt on the Red Sea.  Cunard hasn't called in Egypt for a while, but you said the photo was scanned some time ago.

I also tried a search for "yellow and white polaris trail blazer".  Again, no luck for our port game.  But I found several sites that are selling one that looks just like your photo.

10 hours ago, sfred said:

... No luck, but two additional possibilities for a port came up:  Hurghada or Sharm in Eqypt on the Red Sea.  Cunard hasn't called in Egypt for a while, but you said the photo was scanned some time ago....

On that route Safaga would be a another possibility. 

Yet, the desert does not appear to match ...

@Solent Ɍichard  how far are @sfred and I off from the right track?

On 3/20/2021 at 11:47 AM, Solent Richard said:

Blackpool?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, carlmm said:

On that route Safaga would be a another possibility. 

Yet, the desert does not appear to match ...

@Solent Ɍichard  how far are @sfred and I off from the right track?

While recognising the high likelihood of the port being Blackpool (😃), either Safaga or Sharm might be good possibilities.  QM2 was scheduled to be at both in 2017, and Safaga in 2016 and 2013.  QV at Sharm in 2013.  QE at Sharm in 2016, Safaga in 2015, and Sharm in 2014.  Port Sokhna came up frequently also, further north into the Gulf of Suez.  No Cunard calls at Hurghada that I could find, although my google searches had that as a frequent  port for other lines. 

• Like 1