Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, Palmeat said:

Colin - is this Alter Do Chao, Amazonia?

Ha, well done.  But for the fact I've just returned from my allotment and with that written clue I'd have said the same. I recall an Amazon excursion we went on, Piranha fishing...

1268220866_AmazonPiranaFishingtrip.jpg.00eb52278dd63413b31af028f06df66c.jpg

3 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Wow! I'm impressed - you're correct Richard, Mombasa it is......but how own earth did you work this out so quickly (or do you have a similar photo of your own?😀)

Well you did say...'here's a new one for the serious detectives!' and while only yesterday I was praised on our local facebook sitefor my 'detective' work reuniting some poor soul with his lost iPhone that I'd found.

But I digress. I started, dare I say it, with the shade of colour of the chaps: and took it from there. 😉

On 5/8/2021 at 9:53 AM, Solent Richard said:

870007212_WhereintheWorld50.jpg.1e1871ec98aaf7e9005ec558dff252b6.jpg

10 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Okay, here's the port from a distance...

1494393415_WhereintheWorld51.jpg.daa8e5468b9ca09153f00e859e51831d.jpg

Ah, methinks you may be showing us a port pair we discussed recently with these two photos, @Solent Ɍichard.

I figure the first photo is a view of the dock at Kepez, Turkey and I think the ship is Seabourn Quest.

The second photo looks like a view of the nearby harbor at Çanakkale, Turkey.

Perhaps we can check two Cunard ports off our list with these photos.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Ah, methinks you may be showing us a port pair we discussed recently with these two photos, @Solent Ɍichard.

I figure the first photo is a view of the dock at Kepez, Turkey and I think the ship is Seabourn Quest.

The second photo looks like a view of the nearby harbor at Çanakkale, Turkey.

Perhaps we can check two Cunard ports off our list with these photos.

Congratulations John, Çanakkale and Kepez, Turkey they are.

I must confess however that my original intention was to put the spotlight solely on Çanakkale so Kepez  was a bonus or, as we say in the UK, a BOGOF.

All were taken on a Dardanelles passage, one of many,  and of course one of the better captures is Kilitbahir Castle directly opposite Çanakkale  ...

1440549872_PassingKilitbahirFortoppositeCanakkale.thumb.jpg.3b5b336c78b2409d2796abd85c4de1d0.jpg

...or seen here with Mein Schiff 2 passing at the same time...

1915099351_MeinSchiff2passingKilitbahirCastle.jpg.b5d2b15e5c783426343ef7d13f3a831c.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

Since perusing our second list of ports and places not yet identified I've been dying to splash these two photographs taken on a Sunday afternoon in December 1964. They depict a beach 'R&R' event  while I was serving on the aircraft carrier HMS Victorious (the Grey Funnel Line) .

1436465658_WhereintheWorld68.jpg.d5e34b29f91419f1a806ae4741ca11f1.jpg

1923428815_WhereintheWorld67.jpg.f3cc8326794a2cdcebdf0ceba10a7a2c.jpg

I have more recently visited said destination and have pictures which may be needed later. 

I'm going with somewhere in the far east. But there are numerous possibilities on the list.

The photos themselves don't help much but you had been stirring up trouble in Indonesia that August 😁 before returning to Singapore in September, and were still there the following March. But what you did and where you went in December I haven't yet worked out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I'm going with somewhere in the far east. But there are numerous possibilities on the list.

The photos themselves don't help much but you had been stirring up trouble in Indonesia that August 😁 before returning to Singapore in September, and were still there the following March. But what you did and where you went in December I haven't yet worked out.

That's very good Colin, I'm impressed. Except that I had understood we were defending Malaya against Indonesian aggression 😄. However, on this occasion we were in that particular area for a special naval commemorative service. I returned 50 years later...

1173439006_WhereintheWorld69.thumb.jpg.41ff7996ec212ced019a453d69d85a6a.jpg

774437100_WhereintheWorld70.thumb.jpg.08d12ecc42cf1a60e21ba877acd575e4.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Since perusing our second list of ports and places not yet identified I've been dying to splash these two photographs taken on a Sunday afternoon in December 1964. They depict a beach 'R&R' event  while I was serving on the aircraft carrier HMS Victorious (the Grey Funnel Line) .

1436465658_WhereintheWorld68.jpg.d5e34b29f91419f1a806ae4741ca11f1.jpg

1923428815_WhereintheWorld67.jpg.f3cc8326794a2cdcebdf0ceba10a7a2c.jpg

I have more recently visited said destination and have pictures which may be needed later. 

I venture to say Pulau Tioman - just because I found a bit of beach looking like the second picture (but which beach is not similar?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

I had understood we were defending Malaya against Indonesian aggression 😄.

That's what happens when you believe what "management" tells you😁

I thought this book might provide some answers. It looks like we really need the 64-65 version but it doesn't seem to be available.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

That's what happens when you believe what "management" tells you😁

I thought this book might provide some answers. It looks like we really need the 64-65 version but it doesn't seem to be available.

Hi Colin.

Well for what ever reason I certainly appear to have picked up 2 medals on the way,  and still have my copy of that Commission Book...

1718643308_CommisionBook1963to64.jpg.82fd4b7f003b49ee70e32d7b0219d1f6.jpg

...and I get a mention on page 74:  were we shipmates then? 😉😄

3 hours ago, carlmm said:

I venture to say Pulau Tioman - just because I found a bit of beach looking like the second picture (but which beach is not similar?)

Congratulations Carl, it certainly is Pulau Tioman. 

The 1964 black and white photographs were taken on what we sailors called a 'banyan' - a fun beach day to let off a little steam...

1182029293_PulauTiomen1964Banyan1.jpg.6f7591776f03ff33069b04572135859c.jpg

Earlier in the day we had conducted a memorial service and wreath laying ceremony, a short distance from Pulau Tioman, over the position where HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse were sunk by the Japanese during WWII. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 6:24 AM, Colin_Cameron said:

✔️That didn't last long, did it. I suppose there's not many Amazon ports left.

I struggled to find a photo of this port and resorted to lifting a frame from video.

037.jpg

I'm getting a match to Dakar, Senegal for this one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

New Orleans, Louisiana

Evidently far too easy - but well done Colin. That's New Orleans off the list!

This one may be trickier - the place to identify is where I'm standing - the island in the distance offers the clue. Bon chance. 

IMG_0430.JPG

On 5/10/2021 at 1:38 PM, carlmm said:

While I try the other open ones, here an early morning picture:

100_6110.JPG

35 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

I think we have a couple of ports yet to identify - one each for Carl and Richard. I'll need clues (as usual). 

As you wish:

100_6108.JPG