Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

On 5/16/2021 at 1:22 AM, Essiesmom said:

enhance

EM

I've not done it myself, but beach horseback riding is very popular here in Queensland.  We've previously researched several locations for visiting mates, back in those good old days when people could visit us from overseas, and two of the more common are Noosa and Cape Tribulation.  Neither are Cunard ports on our list, but Cape Tribulation is nearby to Port Douglas, which is on our list.  So I'll take a guess and try Port Douglas, QLD, Australia?

On 5/12/2021 at 4:44 AM, carlmm said:

So how about this one?

Quest 15.JPG

17 hours ago, carlmm said:

Next clue in way of an additional photograph, closer to the pier:

Quest 15 b.JPG

I have to say I originally spent too much time on the first photo looking for ports where parasailing is popular since there appear to be several parasails in the sky of the first photo. As it happens, parasailing (as well as kiteboarding) is a popular activity at this port. It just didn't make any of the top destination lists for that sport in the results of my searches.

Of course the second photo changed the strategy completely. Once I decided to start looking at the Philippines, it didn't take too long to figure out this is Boracay. I didn't find a match at what appears to be the main pier at Boracay Jetty Port, but I found an excellent match not far to the east at the end of Boracay Jetty Port Rd. The match is so good, the only discrepancy I noticed is that google maps shows only one tire on top of that building with the green roof instead of two.

I think this port is Boracay, Philippines.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 4:22 PM, Essiesmom said:

And another on the list

enhance

EM

Flushed with an earlier success hopefully my  'Early Bird' instinct  will this morning lead me to identifying @Essiesmom photograph as Providenciales, Turks & Caicos.

That other 'earlier' success was of course  catching  Queen Elizabeth passing Cowes on the Isle of Wight, as snapped from  our balcony...

654191533_QueenElizabethArrival17May21.thumb.jpg.e257e4b79b74cfe0499cca723024ab7b.jpg 

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

That other 'earlier' success was of course  catching  Queen Elizabeth passing Cowes on the Isle of Wight, as snapped from  our balcony

I take the chance to ask a question for those who might know:

I have been to Cowes with a non-Cunard cruise but Cowes is not on any of the Cunard port lists. Has ever a Cunard ship called at the Isle of Wight? 

12 minutes ago, carlmm said:

I take the chance to ask a question for those who might know:

I have been to Cowes with a non-Cunard cruise but Cowes is not on any of the Cunard port lists. Has ever a Cunard ship called at the Isle of Wight? 

One non-scheduled occasion I can think of would be the White Star Line's Olympic, which anchored at Osborne Bay, Isle of Wight, on 20 September 1911 after her collision with HMS Hawke.  While damage was being assessed, Olympic tendered some passengers ashore to Cowes so that they could get back to Southampton and make alternative travel arrangements to NY.  Olympic departed Osborne Bay the next day to return to Southampton, and eventually back to Belfast for repairs.

I suppose, at a stretch, this might qualify Cowes as a "Cunard port"?  Or perhaps there has been a scheduled calling there by some other Cunard ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sfred said:

One non-scheduled occasion I can think of would be the White Star Line's Olympic, which anchored at Osborne Bay, Isle of Wight, on 20 September 1911 after her collision with HMS Hawke.  While damage was being assessed, Olympic tendered some passengers ashore to Cowes so that they could get back to Southampton and make alternative travel arrangements to NY.  Olympic departed Osborne Bay the next day to return to Southampton, and eventually back to Belfast for repairs.

I suppose, at a stretch, this might qualify Cowes as a "Cunard port"?  Or perhaps there has been a scheduled calling there by some other Cunard ship.

Thank you for the insight!

5 hours ago, carlmm said:

Perfect, congratulations, @bluemarble Yes, this is Boracay!

BTW: Did you realize the significance of the umbrellas?

No, I did not realize the significance of the umbrellas. It seemed clear from the earlier comments that they might play some role in identifying Boracay. But try as I might, I was unable to decipher the writing and logo on those umbrellas. I did spend some time yesterday walking the beaches of Boracay in google maps looking for the location of that first photo without success. I think I spotted a similar umbrella at one of the store fronts along the beach but was still unable to read what was on it. I eagerly await your explanation about those umbrellas.

On 5/16/2021 at 1:53 PM, bluemarble said:

@Solent Ɍichard, you have identified the correct country for this one, but I'm sorry to say I don't think this is Jakarta. That photo of yours showing the banner "Welcome to Jakarta" does allow us to add Jakarta to our list of Cunard ports seen on this thread, so that's a bonus.

The ship in this photo is of course the ferry KM Labobar of the Indonesian national Pelni line. Wikipedia tells me the Cunard ports on the current route for KM Labobar are Surabaya and Bitung. However, I couldn't get a match to either of those two ports. Never mind. That ferry's route has no doubt changed since this photo was taken.

After checking photo archives listing other places KM Labobar has called in the past, I was able to match this photo to Makassar. But wait, I hear you say Makassar is not on our list of unseen Cunard ports. That had me confused at first until I learned the previous/alternate name for Makassar is Ujung Padang.

I think this photo is showing the Cunard port of Ujung Padang, Indonesia.

Well done @bluemarble - correct in every respect. Ujung Padang (Makassar) it is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Flushed with an earlier success hopefully my  'Early Bird' instinct  will this morning lead me to identifying @Essiesmom photograph as Providenciales, Turks & Caicos.

That other 'earlier' success was of course  catching  Queen Elizabeth passing Cowes on the Isle of Wight, as snapped from  our balcony...

Sorry, but not Turks & Caicos.  But you are much closer...  EM

On 5/15/2021 at 7:29 AM, Solent Richard said:

Thanks for that John. 

Fortunately I still have something to offer so may I try this one first...

258563708_WhereintheWorld24.jpg.b38d28b14ba03299026bd36bca5c9652.jpg

As this one is on its third day I'd better give a little bit of help. Definitely a 'tender' is required to get ashore here...

929609337_WhereintheWorld25.jpg.b0af7295e851ea4a8c190982a63b3d11.jpg

10 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Sorry, but not Turks & Caicos.  But you are much closer...  EM

I'll take the hint then @Essiesmomand go for Cap-Haitien, Haiti. 

Goole map shows a fine likeness to a spit of land resembling a crocodile's open mouth just to the east of the port.

Edited by Solent Richard

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

No, I did not realize the significance of the umbrellas. It seemed clear from the earlier comments that they might play some role in identifying Boracay. But try as I might, I was unable to decipher the writing and logo on those umbrellas. I did spend some time yesterday walking the beaches of Boracay in google maps looking for the location of that first photo without success. I think I spotted a similar umbrella at one of the store fronts along the beach but was still unable to read what was on it. I eagerly await your explanation about those umbrellas.

So you got the significance and were almost there. Actually the umbrellas show name of logo of Globe, a Philippine telecommunication company. As far as I know they operate in the Philippines only, not in Thailand. Globe supports efforts to clean Borocay and to protect the marine wild life.

Edited by carlmm
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, carlmm said:

So you got the significance and were almost there. Actually the umbrellas show name of logo of the Globe, a Philippine telecommunication company. As far as I know they operate in the Philippines only, not in Thailand. Globe supports efforts to clean Borocay and to protect the marine wild life.

Ah, thanks for that! Now that I know what it says, I can easily make out the word "Globe" on the left umbrella.

What I thought looked like some sort of lifering/lifebouy logo on the right umbrella is this logo for Globe Telecom (as found on wikipedia).

190px-Globe_Telecom.svg.png

That all makes sense now as good clues to point us to the Philippines if only I had been able to decipher them!

On 5/15/2021 at 10:22 AM, Essiesmom said:

And another on the list

enhance

EM

Since this photo has inspired several guesses so far and since I've already identified a port today, I'll simply offer a hint about where I think this one is. My guess for this location involves a portion of a celestial object.

38 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Since this photo has inspired several guesses so far and since I've already identified a port today, I'll simply offer a hint about where I think this one is. My guess for this location involves a portion of a celestial object.

You would be correct.  EM

On 5/15/2021 at 1:29 AM, Solent Richard said:

Thanks for that John. 

Fortunately I still have something to offer so may I try this one first...

258563708_WhereintheWorld24.jpg.b38d28b14ba03299026bd36bca5c9652.jpg

21 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

As this one is on its third day I'd better give a little bit of help. Definitely a 'tender' is required to get ashore here...

929609337_WhereintheWorld25.jpg.b0af7295e851ea4a8c190982a63b3d11.jpg

I'll give this one a go today since I believe it's been unidentified the longest of the port photos remaining to be identified.

I think this one is Nuku Hiva, French Polynesia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I'll give this one a go today since I believe it's been unidentified the longest of the port photos remaining to be identified.

I think this one is Nuku Hiva, French Polynesia.

Hurray and Congratulations @bluemarble , certainly is Nuka Hiva, French Polynesia: another fabulous Pacific Island to visit. Those photographs were taken at sea level of course, in Taioha'e Bay...

1594059791_SilverSpiritatTaiohaeBay.thumb.jpg.495b94848641f918daee371ab6f62188.jpg

With Nuka Hiva now on the list I see we had a discussion some time back for which I don't believe there was a clear resolution. 

So to clear that up, even if only in my head, I'll include that particular destination in my next  offering. Here they are...

860554395_WhereintheWorld104.jpg.d18fd7796ba68129c32dee4e63487a00.jpg

1789202333_WhereintheWorld100.jpg.03fbba9ee0f7b4d4e9d2ea550c726a13.jpg