Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, sfred said:

No luck for me on any of the unsolved pictures, I'm afraid.  These have been hard, at least for my eyes. 🙂

The four unsolved photos are especially challenging aren't they? I think I know one of them, but the other three have been a struggle for me. At this point I'm pretty sure we could all use a hint for this one, @Essiesmom, since I think it has gone unsolved the longest.

On 5/19/2021 at 1:49 PM, Essiesmom said:

Another from the list:

enhance

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

The four unsolved photos are especially challenging aren't they? I think I know one of them, but the other three have been a struggle for me. At this point I'm pretty sure we could all use a hint for this one, @Essiesmom, since I think it has gone unsolved the longest.

A lot of ships visit here, but not as a port call.  EM

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

There are several clues here, if you have been here...

enhance

On 5/23/2021 at 9:04 AM, Palmeat said:

Good morning. I'm back from a cold and damp UK staycation - and you've all been very busy with a number of my planned submissions now ticked off the list. Here are a couple of new ones which shouldn't prove too taxing.

IMG_8305.JPG

L1030588.JPG

Clues for my pair (to spare the eyesight of @sfred) :

1. 2nd largest of a group of Caribbean islands where the capital was recently rocked by nature - additional photo follows.

2. Former French colonial port famous for its sandy beaches. 2 photos follow - in the second, this large pagoda overlooking the beach was under construction in early 2009

Hope this additional info helps identify these Cunard ports.

IMG_8316.JPG

L1030595.JPG

L1030596.JPG

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

There are several clues here, if you have been here...

enhance

Thanks @Essiesmom.  The hint photo shows a restaurant called "Senor Frog's", and their web site indicates that they have several locations across North America and the Caribbean.  One of the locations, Freeport, Grand Bahama, is a match to the above photo.

On 5/23/2021 at 3:04 AM, Palmeat said:

IMG_8305.JPG

This is the only one of our four most recent unsolved port photos I had managed to figure out from its original photo.

3 hours ago, Palmeat said:

1. 2nd largest of a group of Caribbean islands where the capital was recently rocked by nature - additional photo follows.

IMG_8316.JPG

And this additional hint helps to confirm it so I'll go ahead and identify this one for today. I think this is Bequia, St Vincent and the Grenadines.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 1:41 PM, Essiesmom said:

enhance

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Me too, I'm wondering if that Pulmantur ship is actually the Monarch (which may give a clue).

I'm with you on that observation, @Solent Richard. That's got to be Pullmantur Monarch. I thought that would be the key to identifying this port. I've spent quite a bit of time since this photo was posted combing Monarch itineraries without any success. I've managed to find four ports for Monarch that are on our unseen Cunard port list but can't get any of those to match this photo. I may be missing some Monarch itineraries though.

4 hours ago, sfred said:

Thanks @Essiesmom.  The hint photo shows a restaurant called "Senor Frog's", and their web site indicates that they have several locations across North America and the Caribbean.  One of the locations, Freeport, Grand Bahama, is a match to the above photo.

You are correct.  Also popular for other features..

enhance

But that would have given it away too easily.  EM

• Like 1

This is the only one of our four most recent unsolved port photos I had managed to figure out from its original photo.

And this additional hint helps to confirm it so I'll go ahead and identify this one for today. I think this is Bequia, St Vincent and the Grenadines.

Congratulations John, Port Elizabeth, Bequia it is

• Like 1

I'm with you on that observation, @Solent Richard. That's got to be Pullmantur Monarch. I thought that would be the key to identifying this port. I've spent quite a bit of time since this photo was posted combing Monarch itineraries without any success. I've managed to find four ports for Monarch that are on our unseen Cunard port list but can't get any of those to match this photo. I may be missing some Monarch itineraries though.

enhance

This is another view of the port.  The ship to the left is docked where the Pullmantur ship was in the first pic.  EM

8 hours ago, sfred said:

... Freeport, Grand Bahama, is a match to the above photo.

I was rather hoping I would recognise Freeport when/if it came up, but no such luck.

I don't know if it's ever been a scheduled Cunard port but I put it on the list because we had an emergency call there on Vistafjord in 1997. We'd left Fort Lauderdale only the previous evening, then had a couple of days in port before all being flown home.☹️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Congratulations John, Port Elizabeth, Bequia it is

Thanks. I'll include Port Elizabeth in the port name on our lists of ports we've seen here. I like to be as specific as possible including more than just the island names where possible. To that end, I've noticed that I included both "Frederiksted, St Croix" and "St Croix, US Virgin Islands" in our list of unseen ports. I will remove that second less specific mention of St Croix in the next unseen port list I post.

By the way, this adds another port name double to our list along with Port Elizabeth, South Africa, although that other Port Elizabeth is now known as Gqeberha.

27 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I was rather hoping I would recognise Freeport when/if it came up, but no such luck.

I don't know if it's ever been a scheduled Cunard port but I put it on the list because we had an emergency call there on Vistafjord in 1997. We'd left Fort Lauderdale only the previous evening, then had a couple of days in port before all being flown home.☹️

I didn't find Freeport in my research looking for additional Cunard ports. Thanks for providing the unfortunate back story on how it became a Cunard port.

5 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

enhance

This is another view of the port.  The ship to the left is docked where the Pullmantur ship was in the first pic.  EM

Ah, this helped a lot. I've already identified a port today, but now that I know which port this is, I've found a photo showing Pullmantur Monarch here that's an excellent match to your first photo. My strategy of searching Pullmantur itineraries should have worked. As it happens, I just didn't study this one quite enough.

On 5/23/2021 at 6:04 PM, Palmeat said:

L1030588.JPG

While I still can't find the buildings in the original photo, the mountains in the background, and your hint and hint photos, suggest this port might be Reunion?

10 hours ago, bluemarble said:

that could be colon panama

56 minutes ago, sfred said:

While I still can't find the buildings in the original photo, the mountains in the background, and your hint and hint photos, suggest this port might be Reunion?

Sorry @sfred, not Reunion - but not one of my better photos. The extra photos + clues (#3104) might help to narrow down the country to Vietnam. Oops - that's a giveaway😀

57 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

Sorry @sfred, not Reunion - but not one of my better photos. The extra photos + clues (#3104) might help to narrow down the country to Vietnam. Oops - that's a giveaway😀

Thanks @Palmeat.  Vietnam was my one of my first search places, as I thought I could make out Vietnamese letters on the waterfront side of the white building at the left.  But I could never find this building, or the reddish colour one with the large O letter at the top.  I'm sure, when identified, that I will be amazed and embarrassed that I missed it.

Edited by sfred

17 minutes ago, sfred said:

Thanks @Palmeat.  Vietnam was my one of my first search places, as I thought I could make out Vietnamese letters on the waterfront side of the white building at the left.  But I could never find this building, or the reddish colour one with the large O letter at the top.  I'm sure, when identified, that I will be amazed and embarrassed that I missed it.

No, I don't think you'll be embarrassed @sfred. I may have figured this one out, but I still can't find anything from that first photo (either the buildings or the hillside). Same situation with Freeport, Grand Bahama. Even after learning the answer, I wasn't able to find what's shown in that first photo of Freeport. I think there's good reason this recent set of photos has been challenging.

On 5/23/2021 at 1:41 PM, Essiesmom said:

enhance

17 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

enhance

After indicating earlier that I had figured out this port, I'll go ahead and identify it now as my port for today. I think this one is Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

I was not able to find a Pullmantur Monarch itinerary which specifically lists Ocho Rios as a port of call. A 2016-2017 Pullmantur brochure contains a Monarch itinerary which simply lists "Jamaica" with a notation of select optional excursions to Playa Negril, Ocho Rios & Dunn's River Falls. A 2018-2019 Pullmantur brochure contains a Monarch itinerary listing "Montego Bay, Jamaica". There's photographic evidence showing Monarch was in Ocho Rios on one occasion during 2016 and once again during 2019 when those two brochure itineraries applied. Depending on the date of @Essiesmom's first photo, that may be evidence of a third such occasion.

On 5/25/2021 at 6:28 AM, Palmeat said:

2. Former French colonial port famous for its sandy beaches. 2 photos follow - in the second, this large pagoda overlooking the beach was under construction in early 2009

Hope this additional info helps identify these Cunard ports.

L1030595.JPG

Well I believe I approached this 'beach' from the land side during my Vietnam Battlefield Tour visit passing over  the the Hải Vân  Pass ...

1983328350_DiaPhanPassbetweenHueandDanangcopy.thumb.jpg.114cb249e0640c17905fc5f96732d110.jpg

and down into Da Nang where the US Forces first landed in 1965...

623240202_DaNangBeach.thumb.jpg.d679780fb0ce5c8a89ccafeeb81d7226.jpg

So  my hunch for the day is Da Nang, Vietnam.