Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

15 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Must have been deep into my history...don’t remember posting it!  Well, maybe I do.  I think there is a pic of people at the lifeboat drill.  Can’t post it now as I haven’t mastered doing that from my iPad. EM

Yes indeed, I found your photos of NCL Majesty in Charleston in this post on a thread titled "Rethinking Muster Drills".

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2750405-rethinking-muster-drills/page/12/?tab=comments#comment-6024430

On 5/17/2021 at 10:05 AM, Solent Richard said:

Meanwhile I'm quite anxious to get this one on the list. Cruise called  there God knows how many times but never with Cunard....

2087112417_WhereintheWorld92.jpg.9737ebde4be37075ee631ac999c15f26.jpg

OK, it's time to identify this port. The ship appears to be P&O Oceana. @Solent Richard's blog includes a Caribbean cruise on Oceana. Looking at the ports on that cruise, I was able to locate this gazebo within Old Hospital Park in Montego Bay, Jamaica.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

OK, it's time to identify this port. The ship appears to be P&O Oceana. @Solent Richard's blog includes a Caribbean cruise on Oceana. Looking at the ports on that cruise, I was able to locate this gazebo within Old Hospital Park in Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Oh. In that case my next one won't take long 😁

038.jpg

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Congratulations @bluemarble , that certainly is Montego Bay, Jamaica.

My blog is becoming a handy reference in this game. 😁

Maybe I should have used what was scheduled to be the second photograph, first...

1429114702_WhereintheWorld94.jpg.0618d1525abd143804aff7b97cd803c5.jpg

...the view from 'Rose Hall'.

On 5/18/2021 at 9:26 PM, Essiesmom said:

Another one on the list:

enhance

Should be easy to someone who has been there.  EM

On 5/19/2021 at 1:40 PM, Essiesmom said:

Another view:

enhance

I'll try this one for today. I haven't been there, but working on the theory that the ship in the background might once again be Norwegian Majesty, I found some useful clues in an old "Live from the Majesty" thread.

I think this one is St George's, Bermuda.

On 5/18/2021 at 9:30 AM, Solent Richard said:

With Nuka Hiva now on the list I see we had a discussion some time back for which I don't believe there was a clear resolution. 

So to clear that up, even if only in my head, I'll include that particular destination in my next  offering. Here they are...

860554395_WhereintheWorld104.jpg.d18fd7796ba68129c32dee4e63487a00.jpg

1789202333_WhereintheWorld100.jpg.03fbba9ee0f7b4d4e9d2ea550c726a13.jpg

I'm a bit surprised the first photo here hasn't been identified yet. I'm not sure where the second photo was taken, but the tower in the first photo is recognizable. Since I've used up my guess for today, I'll offer what is probably not a particularly surprising suggestion that the first photo is not Kansas City, Missouri.

By the way, my count indicates the next photo to be identified will be the 400th port we've identified on this thread.

• Like 3

On 5/18/2021 at 3:30 PM, Solent Richard said:

With Nuka Hiva now on the list I see we had a discussion some time back for which I don't believe there was a clear resolution. 

So to clear that up, even if only in my head, I'll include that particular destination in my next  offering. Here they are...

860554395_WhereintheWorld104.jpg.d18fd7796ba68129c32dee4e63487a00.jpg

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I'm a bit surprised the first photo here hasn't been identified yet. I'm not sure where the second photo was taken, but the tower in the first photo is recognizable. Since I've used up my guess for today, I'll offer what is probably not a particularly surprising suggestion that the first photo is not Kansas City, Missouri.

By the way, my count indicates the next photo to be identified will be the 400th port we've identified on this thread.

Correct @bluemarble , the first is NOT Kansas City. 😄

So in order to aid that 400th port I'll offer two more clues to the original photographs, in the same order....

1563162291_WhereintheWorld105.thumb.jpg.65c6f8564ad088cf450e0b19542a6dd0.jpg

...now that should make it easy.

And the second clue...

275830786_WhereintheWorld102.jpg.e6d9c5c84489685856d4f88e4e0133ee.jpg

38 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Correct @bluemarble , the first is NOT Kansas City. 😄

So in order to aid that 400th port I'll offer two more clues to the original photographs, in the same order....

1563162291_WhereintheWorld105.thumb.jpg.65c6f8564ad088cf450e0b19542a6dd0.jpg

...now that should make it easy.

Of course, I was confused, we had talked about, but not seen this place before: Seville.

• Like 1

Here's a port photo courtesy of some friends.  I have been to this port on QE, but unfortunately did not think to take any photos.  We were traveling with some mates, and I asked them a few weeks' back if they had something that I could share here.  They thoughtfully sent me the below.

image.png.c0d1828d736e14b402bf7a4f4525185e.png

58 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Of course, I was confused, we had talked about, but not seen this place before: Seville.

Congratulations @carlmm it is indeed Seville. 

Yes, it was discussed at length but surprisingly no one added a photograph for identification.

So there it is, case closed. 

I have just spotted a huge glaring omission from the not seen yet list. I have lots of photos of this port but they are all instantly recognisable. I'll keep looking for something a little more challenging.

In the meantime here's another Cunard port, taken from an ex-Cunard ship.

040.jpg

25 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

In the meantime here's another Cunard port, taken from an ex-Cunard ship.

040.jpg

The port is Rouen, France.  The tugboat pushing the grain barge was a useful clue.  I could just make out its name, Pasha.  The tug has a matching photo in Marinetraffic.com, and the site lists its current position on the Seine, a little ways upstream from Rouen.  Google streetview of Rouen then confirmed the bridge, the Parc de la Presqu'ile Rollet, and the grain facility.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 2

To explain my bizarre comment about "not in Kansas City, Missouri", the tower in @Solent Richard's first photo of Seville is La Giralda. See wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giralda. There is a half-scale replica of that tower in Kansas City, Missouri. See wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giralda_(Kansas_City).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sfred said:

The port is Rouen, France.  The tugboat pushing the grain barge was a useful clue.  I could just make out its name, Pasha.  The tug has a matching photo in Marinetraffic.com, and the site lists its current position on the Seine, a little ways upstream from Rouen.  Google streetview of Rouen then confirmed the bridge, the Parc de la Presqu'ile Rollet, and the grain facility.

Good call @sfred, I had the same bridge lined up for a later try...

840728177_WhereintheWorld91.jpg.7463e722f88cb17864ba535344cbb984.jpg

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'll try this one for today. I haven't been there, but working on the theory that the ship in the background might once again be Norwegian Majesty, I found some useful clues in an old "Live from the Majesty" thread.

I think this one is St George's, Bermuda.

Yes, that is St. George's, and the first pic was of Town Cut, the narrow, shallow passage the ships transit to get into the port.  And it is indeed NCL Majesty, again.  Here is another shot from outside the cut:

enhance

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

And the second clue...

275830786_WhereintheWorld102.jpg.e6d9c5c84489685856d4f88e4e0133ee.jpg

6 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

This one I can place as The Esplanade in Lerwick.

Maybe I read too much into the 'NOT in Kansas' clue. I started looking in Oz🤣

4 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Congratulations @Colin_Cameron it is indeed Lerwick. Well done Sir.

Ah yes, very good. Now that I know the answer, I'm able to find this first scene a bit further southeast in Lerwick along Twageos Road.

On 5/18/2021 at 9:30 AM, Solent Richard said:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I think this one will probably be quite easy...

enhance

Okay, my early bird prediction (best guess) is that this is most probably Hamilton Bermuda, certainly a port of call for Celebrity Zenith in 1998 and hopefully I've matched it against the right hand tower of 'Sessions House'.

8 hours ago, sfred said:

Crown Point, Indiana, USA??   🙂   Well, perhaps not a Cunard port, but the statues are there too.

https://www.loc.gov/item/2016631561/

Otherwise, Key West, Florida, USA.

https://www.waymarking.com/gallery/image.aspx?f=1&guid=db5f96c9-4a2b-4a7e-9742-d2f6660b804e

Congratulations @sfred with that clever link. It certainly is Key West,  Florida.

I'd had tossed up which would be the easier of the town's statues to identify and those guys won over the more prominent...

1288942649_WhereintheWorld85.jpg.15bdd42b8c3bbbcff6f719b6e2999e16.jpg

😄😄

• Haha 1