Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

You know, the more I look at @rog747's photo of Funchal, I wonder if we are actually looking at the aft of the ship. Whenever I watch webcams of Funchal, the ships dock with their bows to the left, ready to head straight out to sea on departure. And that's what I thought I was seeing in that photo. But that doesn't mean that's how the ships always dock at Funchal. Of course if that's actually the aft of the ship in that photo, that rules out QM2.

We know from his posting history that @rog747 has been to Funchal on both QM2 and QE so that didn't help me narrow it down between those two ships. I'm looking forward to learning which ship we are looking at in that photo.

Thanks! 

Yes you got it - She is the QM2 facing forward.

A pre-Xmas 12 night voyage (2013 or 2014?) down to Lisbon, Madeira and Canary Islands on the one occasion when Cunard offered Zero Single Occupancy Supplements, so the 4 of us all had a Sheltered Balcony Cabin each for a Bargain at £499! 
We had a super time, with super weather.

The photo I took (as noted by sfred) was taken up by the statue of Charles I of Austria, in the Monte gardens of Funchal, Madeira. An enchanting place to visit, as are the Gardens lower down.

Charles, House of the Habsburgs, The Austro-Hungarian Empire, was exiled for a second time to the Portuguese island of Madeira, where he soon fell ill and died in 1922.

DSC_0529.jpg

DSC_0569.jpg

DSC_0522.jpg

Edited by rog747
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I'm going for George F.L. Charles Airport, also referred to as Vigie or Castries Airport; Code (SLU). St Lucia

Although I've never seen that photo of the runway before I instinctively knew I had been there when I saw the photo. A quick reverse lookup confirmed. We took the water taxi to Froggy Jack's for lunch just after my picture of the plane. Froggy Jack's appears to have become Waterfront Gardens Restaurant since then. I initially thought the photo was from after lunch going by the time stamp, but the sequence of photos indicates that the camera was set to UK time.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sogne said:

Correct 

Awesome - Castries Airport; Code (SLU). St Lucia. 

This airport is the secondary one on the Island - the other one is for the big Jets at UVF,

Hewanorra International Airport, located near Vieux Fort.

Back in the 1970's UK's Court Line bought into the local airline LIAT and actually flew large BAC 1-11 500 Jets into and out of SLU Castries.
3 or 4 1-11's were leased out to LIAT to fly the peak Caribbean routes.

A great gig for the Pilots who were UK based with Court Line.
The local LIAT girls were the Hosties...

Court Line also built/owned some Hotels on St Lucia, Antigua and in the Bahamas.
The Halcyon Hotels Group, most of which they remain open today.
Court Line had 2 big Lockheed L-1011 400 seat Tristar planes which flew from UK to the Islands for the Package holiday makers getting their first taste of exoctic trips. 
Court Line went bust spectacularly in summer 1974, along with Clarksons and Horizon Holidays.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

This is from the 2014 pre-Christmas cruise so maybe the same one. I've probably already posted it on this thread.

FB_IMG_1702201949999.jpg

Yes, I found this excellent photo of yours way back on post #654 from September 12, 2020. It might have helped my confidence in identifying the ship in @rog747's photo if I had thought to look for it. Unfortunately the Cruise Critic search function doesn't index posts more than about a year old, so a search of this thread for previous posts mentioning "Funchal" or "Madeira" can't find it.

• Like 2

I've been wondering about posting this one for a while.

I think the berth is quite distinctive. I have an almost identical zoomed out a bit if it's too difficult.

It is a port that I've seen posted here previously.

DSCF0316.thumb.JPG.d9556f3cfa4409b797a92af92481a09e.JPG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, D&N said:

I think the berth is quite distinctive. I have an almost identical zoomed out a bit if it's too difficult.

No luck for me.  I've tried to examine QM2's flags, and also the lettering on the sides of the two gangways, but the resolution isn't sufficient to make anything out. 

14 hours ago, D&N said:

DSCF0316.thumb.JPG.d9556f3cfa4409b797a92af92481a09e.JPG

A small island in the Caribbean >? 

• Like 1

It would be difficult to identify the flag zooming in on the original before CC compress the file. It was only a 1600x1200 image when taken. It's possible the flag has changed.

It's a bit blurry but I think the gangway lettering is just Queen Mary 2. There might be a large A at each end of the wording.

@Solent Richard

Correct that's where it is. I've seen a photo on this thread (possibly posted by HH) with many of the coloured buildings that I think included the berth at the extreme left of the shot.

That was from January 8th 2006. I think yours is probably newer. The flag in mine could be The Netherlands, but it's not possible to see.

We were having a much tastier lunch than the fare offered onboard P&O Arcadia at The King Grill restaurant. They have a deck where those photos were taken from.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

I'm going to go with Curacao.

Thank you, @Solent Richard. This one had me defeated even after the hint that it was a small island in the Caribbean. That was a very good challenge, @D&N.

17 minutes ago, D&N said:

@Solent Richard

Correct that's where it is. I've seen a photo on this thread (possibly posted by HH) with many of the coloured buildings that I think included the berth at the extreme left of the shot.

Here's @Host Hattie's photo of Willemstad, Curacao which I had managed to identify the first time around. That was way back in post #446.

SAM_0234.JPG.9da1c0f1113651bcfaf0d66e34b

• Like 4

Not really the extreme left of the shot.

We took quite a few photos that day and it's remarkable just how many QM2 manages to get herself into. She dominates so many of the ports she visits!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, D&N said:

@Solent Richard

That was from January 8th 2006. I think yours is probably newer. The flag in mine could be The Netherlands, but it's not possible to see.

We were having a much tastier lunch than the fare offered onboard P&O Arcadia at The King Grill restaurant. They have a deck where those photos were taken from.

By 5 years younger @D&N . We were on QM2's 29 Night Caribbean Christmas 

Curacao5FloatingBridgeopen.thumb.jpg.7e29764e8d603e2dca00777a946f40b6.jpg

• Like 1