Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

5 hours ago, sogne said:

I once had na blue car which VW called something similar to this area.

Possibly a port in the northern rim of the Med (Italy, Spain, or even Malta) where the Scirocco winds from the Sahara come across the Med. VW named a car Scirocco. 

24 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I think I've finally found this one. I'm getting a good match to Ponte Delgada, Azores.

Concerning the reference to the blue VW color, I see there was an Azure Blue color for some VW model years.

Make that Ponta Delgada, Azores of course. Sorry for that typo in my previous reply.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think I've finally found this one. I'm getting a good match to Ponte Delgada, Azores.

Concerning the reference to the blue VW color, I see there was an Azure Blue color for some VW model years.

Correct  had an azure vw some years ago 

18 hours ago, sogne said:

an early arrival for a medivac after very speedy cruise from previous port

abc.JPG

I'm going to go out on a long limb with this one.

I can't find any posts about an early arrival at a port for a medical evacuation but that's not at all surprising. I wasn't really expecting that to pan out. But I think the mention of a "very speedy cruise from previous port" is helpful. It got me looking at island itineraries with a short distance between consecutive ports.

When I enhance this photo in my photo editor, it reveals some very intriguing details in the hillside in the background. I'm having trouble getting the two uppermost lights in this photo to line up with what I think we're looking at here. I also have some misgivings about the layout of the pier in the middle ground. But the details I'm seeing in the hillside are hard to ignore, so I'll proceed with considerably less confidence than usual this time.

What I think we might be looking at here is the Dr. A.C. Wathey Cargo Facility and the easternmost of the two cruise piers at the port of Philipsburg, St Maarten.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'm going to go out on a long limb with this one.

I can't find any posts about an early arrival at a port for a medical evacuation but that's not at all surprising. I wasn't really expecting that to pan out. But I think the mention of a "very speedy cruise from previous port" is helpful. It got me looking at island itineraries with a short distance between consecutive ports.

When I enhance this photo in my photo editor, it reveals some very intriguing details in the hillside in the background. I'm having trouble getting the two uppermost lights in this photo to line up with what I think we're looking at here. I also have some misgivings about the layout of the pier in the middle ground. But the details I'm seeing in the hillside are hard to ignore, so I'll proceed with considerably less confidence than usual this time.

What I think we might be looking at here is the Dr. A.C. Wathey Cargo Facility and the easternmost of the two cruise piers at the port of Philipsburg, St Maarten.

correct left St Kitts 1800 arrived Phillipsburg 220 just as this was leaving

St Maarten arrival (6).JPG

• Like 1

Not sure if this will be difficult or not.  I just love the concept.  Not sure if such access arrangements are permitted these days!

I think I've checked previously that it is a Cunard port, probably seen before. I can't see how it wouldn't be.

1992-05-00_2021-03-04_235.thumb.JPG.b940a2d2ac97c21ea717094c18131f03.JPG

1 hour ago, sogne said:

correct left St Kitts 1800 arrived Phillipsburg 220 just as this was leaving

St Maarten arrival (6).JPG

Very good. I think that ship is the Star Flyer of the Star Clippers line. She's the member of their fleet who has been doing Caribbean cruises out of St Maarten the past few years.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 9:06 AM, D&N said:

Not sure if this will be difficult or not.  I just love the concept.  Not sure if such access arrangements are permitted these days!

I think I've checked previously that it is a Cunard port, probably seen before. I can't see how it wouldn't be.

1992-05-00_2021-03-04_235.thumb.JPG.b940a2d2ac97c21ea717094c18131f03.JPG

Probably time for a hint about this one now that we're past the 24 hour mark. It's proved to be difficult one for me. I've tried to identify that ship/ferry or even just the line that used that livery of a red lower hull and blue stripe higher up but I'm coming up empty so far. I've even spent time trying to identify that freighter in the background to no avail. Those two towers at the far right might be a useful feature, but I'm not getting anywhere with that approach either.

Something tells me part of the problem might be how old this photo is. The comment about "Not sure if such access arrangements are permitted these days!" tends to indicate it's not a recent photo. The photo's attachment filename starts with "1992-05-00_2021-03-04". Not sure if that's telling me the photo might be as old as 1992.

56 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Probably time for a hint about this one now that we're past the 24 hour mark. It's proved to be difficult one for me. I've tried to identify that ship/ferry or even just the line that used that livery of a red lower hull and blue stripe higher up but I'm coming up empty so far. I've even spent time trying to identify that freighter in the background to no avail. Those two towers at the far right might be a useful feature, but I'm not getting anywhere with that approach either.

Something tells me part of the problem might be how old this photo is. The comment about "Not sure if such access arrangements are permitted these days!" tends to indicate it's not a recent photo. The photo's attachment filename starts with "1992-05-00_2021-03-04". Not sure if that's telling me the photo might be as old as 1992.

It was 1992. 2021 was the scan date and a reference.

Here's the rest of the sequence.

1992-05-00_2021-03-04_230.thumb.JPG.bf90d49894f2d368c5c962e14d154e10.JPG

1992-05-00_2021-03-04_231.thumb.JPG.b522f0030ff3caba213e3e2e5629c9ee.JPG

1992-05-00_2021-03-04_232.thumb.JPG.6a4a05d4ed3953c8641b8a5f93f4debe.JPG

1992-05-00_2021-03-04_233.thumb.JPG.b5c898f544a11ee0226e1ec5eacca4cc.JPG

1992-05-00_2021-03-04_234.thumb.JPG.c9257ed9e93632cdaba37b9abe7ecc25.JPG

2 hours ago, D&N said:

It was 1992. 2021 was the scan date and a reference.

Here's the rest of the sequence.

1992-05-00_2021-03-04_230.thumb.JPG.bf90d49894f2d368c5c962e14d154e10.JPG

OK, I can identify the ship now. That's the Princesa Cypria of Louis Cruise Lines. Built in 1968, refurbished in 1990, scrapped in 2005. It appears her itineraries were primarily Eastern Mediterranean including Greek Islands, Egypt and Israel.

Next job is to identify the port of course. Could be a difficult task after more than 30 years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Those two towers at the far right might be a useful feature, but I'm not getting anywhere with that approach either.

I had tried looking for the buildings also.  No luck.  I suppose it's possible that they no longer exist.

2 hours ago, sfred said:

There's some buildings which might be the buildings in Alexandria Egypt.  I'm far from certain, but I'll throw that out as my guess for the day.

Probably giving it away, not Alexandria but it is Egypt.

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Port Said ?

Looks good to me. Aside from being the only other Cunard port in Egypt on the Mediterranean, the view from the cruise pier at Port Said shows very similar cranes and buildings at the container terminal across the water. I can't find that pair of tall structures any more although there are two very distinctive tall minarets a bit further along.

• Like 1

@Host Hattie is first.  I think you were all going there.

Brother in law had got a promotion and unexpected early reposting from Cyprus to Europe and wanted to do an Israel and Egypt trip with 3 kids under 6. So we made the trip at same time in May 1992 so there would be plenty of adults for supervision.

I'd imagined that we would be travelling on a ferry with a self service cafeteria. I was quite surprised that although the ship was originally built as a ferry the levels of service were quite impressive. The trip included full day guided tours so it was breakfast and dinner in the restaurant and the staff were really attentive particularly regarding the children, keeping them occupied while we got to eat our meals.

It was three nights from Limassol with calls at Ashdod for Jerusalem and Bethlehem, and Port Said for Cairo.

Quite a marked difference in class to Cunard, Princess and others but it was what gave us an appetite to try cruising.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, D&N said:

@Host Hattie is first.  I think you were all going there.

Brother in law had got a promotion and unexpected early reposting from Cyprus to Europe and wanted to do an Israel and Egypt trip with 3 kids under 6. So we made the trip at same time in May 1992 so there would be plenty of adults for supervision.

I'd imagined that we would be travelling on a ferry with a self service cafeteria. I was quite surprised that although the ship was originally built as a ferry the levels of service were quite impressive. The trip included full day guided tours so it was breakfast and dinner in the restaurant and the staff were really attentive particularly regarding the children, keeping them occupied while we got to eat our meals.

It was three nights from Limassol with calls at Ashdod for Jerusalem and Bethlehem, and Port Said for Cairo.

Quite a marked difference in class to Cunard, Princess and others but it was what gave us an appetite to try cruising.

Thank you for your latest set of photos. I knew nothing about Louis Cruise Lines in general or Princesa Cypria in particular previously. It's been a good learning experience for me to research that line and ship even if I spent way too much time yesterday trying unsuccessfully to match your photos to Limassol in the process.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Thank you for your latest set of photos. I knew nothing about Louis Cruise Lines in general or Princesa Cypria in particular previously. It's been a good learning experience for me to research that line and ship even if I spent way too much time yesterday trying unsuccessfully to match your photos to Limassol in the process.

Same here. I wandered down the rabbit hole of history and never actually emerged to try to identify the port. Actually, that has happened before on this thread, but this time I started from a position of total ignorance…as opposed to my customary state of slightly more limited ignorance in all areas.

Thanks to D&N for the direction to a fun exercise in history. 

• Like 1