New To Oceania With Questions

Daniel A

1 hour ago, badtwin said:

Thanks for answer to the OBC and gratuities question.  Believe me, DH "does the math" when we book cruises and that is why we rarely book a cruise with "free" add-ons - they are rarely worth as much the difference for a cruise alone without the extras. 

For example, we are looking at a Venice to Monte Carlo cruise in September.  At the cabin levels we are considering the difference with air fare and O Life compared to the cruise alone is about $1200 pp.   From Spokane Washington, we are probably going to pay at least $900 pp (and likely more) to book our own air.  So this may be one of those rare occasions it would pencil out.  Since we tour on our own (the covid gods willing) and eat lunches in port when possible and drink a little wine at dinner, the OBC tends to be the best options for us, but agree it would not be for a lot of others. 

Thanks again

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you truly think the OBC is the best way to go then you don't understand Oceania pricing. You don't have to take the Olife in order to take their air. Unfortunately the Oceania marketing confuses and muddies the water on this. Read this line below and believe it. 

If Oceania is offering $400(or fill in any amount they offer) OBC with the Olife then the additional charge to get it is $400.

What you are doing is prepaying for your OBC, but hard cash then becomes non refundable OBC that you must use or lose. When you really understand the way it works it's real easy to see why you shouldn't take it. 

If you think the air is a good deal then take the cruise with air, but without the Olife. Are you using a knowledgeable Oceania travel agent?

Good luck. 

• Like 1

on the topic of Olife.  We fly to Miami from LAX. I'd rather have the 250.00 air credit since I prefer to fly on American or Alaska.  I often have promo codes for those airlines.  I took the excursions because I think I'll find excursions higher than 100 each x 3. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, calicakes said:

on the topic of Olife.  We fly to Miami from LAX. I'd rather have the 250.00 air credit since I prefer to fly on American or Alaska.  I often have promo codes for those airlines.  I took the excursions because I think I'll find excursions higher than 100 each x 3. 

No problem, you can take the Olife with air and get the credit. I someone doubt that Alaska flies to Miami, but AA will. Unfortunately from where I live I can't fly to MIA for $250 a person, more like $350 to $400. 

Edited by ORV
oops

28 minutes ago, ORV said:

No problem, you can take the Olife with air and get the credit. I someone doubt that Alaska flies to Miami, but AA will. Unfortunately from where I live I can't fly to MIA for $250 a person, more like $350 to $400. 

Alaska flies to Ft. Lauderdale.  Since I'm a visa holder, I get a b1g1 for 99 companion fare.  I don't mind making the drive.  Or, I'll fly to MIA on AA since I have lounge access.