O is still on their OK list....

Flatbush Flyer

10 minutes ago, susiesan said:

....The most I have spent on a trip was $4500pp for a 10 day private safari in Tanzania in 2018. The most I have ever spent on a cruise was maybe $3000? for Galapgos on Xpedition years ago. I have a different travel style than most Oceania cruisers. If I don't get a deal or discount, then I don't go.

Using your safari pricing:

$4500/10=$450/day. 

$450/day x 35 days=$15,700.

Using your "expensive(?)" cruise pricing:

$3000/10=$300/day.

$300/day x 35 days=$10,500.

It's the length of the premium/luxury cruise that puts it in the 5 figures. And you are correct that many O or other premium/luxury cruisers do different (i.e., longer) itineraries.

Let's conservatively break that down a bit with average "upscale" (but not exorbitant) pricing for the land equivalent of an intercontinental cruise vacation:

4 star hotel (e.g., Intercontinental) = $150/night/person including tax.

3 star dinner with wine =

$75/night/person including tax & tip.

other daily meals/beverages/snacks =

$40/day/person including tax & tip.

ground transport (Uber/taxi) =

$20/day/person including tax & tip.

live entertainment (nightly) = 

$40/night/person including tax & tip.

So far, we've got $325/person/day and we haven't yet figured in the cost of airfare, excursions, non-mealtime booze, etc - any or all of which may be included in that premium/luxury cruise fare.

So, bottom line: five figure per person cost on a premium luxury cruise of several weeks is neither unusual nor relatively "expensive." And, it is still one of the best bargains around. 

• Like 1

Agree cruises can be looked at as a bargain if what you listed above is what you spend on a vacation, I do not. I don't stay in 4 star hotels or eat at 3 star restaurants.  I have never taken a cruise longer than 14 days. I am still working but even after I retire I won't be on a cruise ship for 30 days. Too confining, not my cup of tea. I prefer land trips.

When I have booked cruises on premium cruise lines, the only ones I use are O and Windstar, $300 a day is the max I am willing to spend. So far, I have been able to get a deal on all previous O and Windstar cruises. My upcoming Windstar 7 day Tahiti cruise in January comes out to $242 pp per day incl taxes and my upcoming O Baltic cruise next August is $255 pp per day. I have loads of OBC credit for both cruises. I also cruise on non premium lines if the ship goes somewhere I want to go to and the price is right.

On 8/30/2020 at 4:25 PM, susiesan said:

I have a Chase Ink Business Preferred card that absolutely has coverage for financial insolvency under trip interruption coverage. 

I just looked I up. It is in writing in the printed brochure that came with my card.

You need a different Chase credit card.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You've got some voodoo math there. For geezers, it's important to remember that most CCs exclude PECs as claimable for trip cancel/interrupt. And then there's medevac (not to be confused with field rescue from a ship) which is far different than emergency ambulance coverage provided by most regular health policies. The bottom line is how much you are willing to pay for peace of mind should "the sh*t hit the fan."

In any case, I'm a big believer in added insurance (with PEC waivers) for travel cancel/interrupt on cruises costing five figures. I'm not so much worried about the medical since my PERS Care Medicare Supplement morphs to the regular policy the minute you step out of the US. But, a total cruise loss all at once is not a little deal for most folks.

And many CCs have now jumped on the bandwagon of excluding pandemics for any type of claim. So, it doesn't necessarily diminish the cancel/interrupt bite in all cases.

it's a whole new world.

True.....as I said...its , like life, a calculated risk from birth to death.   You have to weigh the odds and know your personal situation.and what you have for coverage.  I try to avoid as much  insurance as possible and bank the savings in investments ( same as the insurance boys do) over the years I have created  a comfortable reserve.  Not sure what tier you have with PERS or carrier. ( there are a bunch but access is restricted based on service catagory and retirement status)..  but mine offers transport to a medical facility deemed appropriate by  US medical people... That might be transport form Peru to  LA if  necessary.  I am good with  that.

Been doing that for 50 years and have no "Pre-existing conditions.     The premise is if you start early and are consistent you can do better than by being insured....even profit.   However, I say again its a personal decision...  and you do have options.

3 hours ago, susiesan said:

. I also cruise on non premium lines if the ship goes somewhere I want to go to and the price is right.

I  used to think that way till a year ago.....I took HAL...  I love cruising... I am adventurous, I am tolerant of a lot...So heck I gave it a go.............   What  A mistake... I paid a price of 236 a day... for 28 days.  had a horrible experience ..marginal food, arrogant staff  and crude fellow passengers, .  when you dont want to leave the cabin for days... that was a first.I could not wait to get off.   I got to see 4 things that only HAL went to..  But that left 24 days of misery.     

No, You get what you pay for and I did.    I am retired and have realized that if I do not try different things that may cost more but I have never experienced.... and have the funds  and realize that Life is finite in that you can not take it with you.... you may only get so many opportunities......   I have enjoyed  discovering the contrast in life... From a bunk in Grand Teton  for $25 a night  to a $1200 a night Manor in the UK....    ....Its variety... and the spice of life.