Long Beach AIport to pier

tmknies

Hi, we are seasoned cruisers new to NCL. We will be taking our first NCL voyage on the STAR on the 4/18 sailing. TYpically we cruise out of Florida or Puerto Rico. This is our first cruise out of LA. Does anyone know if it is better to fly into LAX or go direct into LOng Beach? Can anyone recommend a hotel close to the pier?

Thanks for the info!

Tammy

Dont know about the hotels, I lived in LB so I never stayed in one, BUT if it is possible for you to fly into the LB airport rather than LAX do it! I will get up at 3am to fly into LB rather then sleeping in and going to LAX!!

Such a nice little airport, and no crowds like LAX...

I agree that if you can fly into Long Beach it's much better than flying into LAX. We flew into Long Beach for our Star cruise in December. Definitely not as busy as LAX. We arrived one day ahead of our cruise. We rented a car as we arrived at 10:30-11 am. We stayed at the Long Beach Coast Hotel and we were lucky and were able to get in to our room as soon as we arrived around 11:30. We then were able to do a little sightseeing that afternoon and the next morning. We then returned the car to the Long Beach Airport and took a cab from the airport over to the San Pedro pier. They have a set rate from LGB to the pier. It was $36. Arrived at the pier around 1:00 pm.

Oh and remember that there are two cruise terminals. One is actually in Long Beach and one is in San Pedro about 20 minutes away. The Star sails out of San Pedro. I believe there are more hotels to choose from in Long Beach but there are a few in San Pedro.

Definitely Long Beach, assuming price & schedule permit. There are a lot of nice places to stay in LGB (although as vj said, you'll be leaving from San Pedro) - all of the major chains - Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, Westin, etc. are represented there. Closer to the pier is the Los Angeles Harbor Hotel, the Best Western Sunrise and the Marina hotel. There's much more to do in Long Beach, however, so I'd recommend you stay there, have some fun in the morning, then go over to the pier.

Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

We took a cruise out of Long Beach a few years ago. We flew into LB on Americawest. The airport was small and very easy to get around. We stayed at the Westin, it was very nice. It's only about $15 cab ride to and from the pier. The cabbie told me it was about $70 from LAX something to look at when you are comparing ticket prices.

Archived