NIEUW STATEDAM - Veranda/Vista Suite

seniorladycruiser

Hello,

I have been looking at a cruse on the Nieuw Statendam for next spring and I am a bit puzzled.  What is the difference between a veranda cabin and a vista suite.  I see that the veranda has the living area next to the patio and the VS has the bed next to it.  Really would like to know what is different before I book.  

Also if anyone has stayed in a VS what are your thoughts.

Thanks

21 minutes ago, seniorladycruiser said:

Hello,

I have been looking at a cruse on the Nieuw Statendam for next spring and I am a bit puzzled.  What is the difference between a veranda cabin and a vista suite.  I see that the veranda has the living area next to the patio and the VS has the bed next to it.  Really would like to know what is different before I book.  

Thanks

We have sailed inVista Suites and Verandas on this class ship and there is not much  - if any difference in space.  They do have different configurations as you noted.  The bed is by the balcony  in the VS and the sofa/desk is by balcony inVeranda.  We prefer the Veranda configuration others prefer the VS.   

The BIG difference in the two categories (other than cost) is that you get double sail days towards mariner status in the Vista Suite.  So, if you are close to moving up, you might want to pay the extra to attain that status quicker. 

We did sail in a VS on Koningsdam on Deck 8 - Never again.  The balcony was not covered and visible from the Lido and we heard rolling noises from the Lido early every single morning.  

3 hours ago, seniorladycruiser said:

Hello,

Thanks

I sailed in VS5208 last year and enjoyed the stateroom.  Here is a link to my photos of VS5208:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-statendam-images/ms-nieuw-statendam-staterooms/nggallery/page/1

We enjoyed the Vista Suite 5104, on the Nieuw Statendam last November on our Mediterranean cruise. Currently we have booked Vista Suite 6133 on the Rotterdam for the Northern Isles cruise. The layout of the room seems to work better for us, and there isn't that much difference in price depending on when you book.  

Our Future Cruise Consultant on the Eurodam, when we booked the suite for the Med cruise, suggested a Vista Guarantee due to the low percentage of Vista Suites onboard. His thoughts were that an upgrade to a Signature Suite or even a Neptune Suite was a real possibility. To us though where location onboard is important, we didn't do the Guarantee. But to those that do, it is definitely an option as all of the Vista Suites are in prime locations even if there isn't an upgrade.

Edited by Heartgrove

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

We enjoyed the Vista Suite 5104, on the Nieuw Statendam last November on our Mediterranean cruise. Currently we have booked Vista Suite 6133 on the Rotterdam for the Northern Isles cruise. The layout of the room seems to work better for us, and there isn't that much difference in price depending on when you book.  

Our Future Cruise Consultant on the Eurodam, when we booked the suite for the Med cruise, suggested a Vista Guarantee due to the low percentage of Vista Suites onboard. His thoughts were that an upgrade to a Signature Suite or even a Neptune Suite was a real possibility. To us though where location onboard is important, we didn't do the Guarantee. But to those that do, it is definitely an option as all of the Vista Suites are in prime locations even if there isn't an upgrade.

The only problem with this approach (IMO) is that there are not that many Signature and Neptunes (at lease compared to other HAL ships), so I suspect getting a free upgrade to one might be difficult.

Also, HAL has gotten so good at the upsell game that you might want to save the money and book a Verandah cabin and hope for an upsell to a Signature, Neptune or even Vista suite.  Upsells are assigned BEFORE free upgrades, so often you can "jump ahead".