Healthy Sail Panel Recommendations Released

howiefrommd

12 hours ago, rallydave said:

Not sure what good day of sailing testing would be with so many false positives and negatives for the quick test.  Sure wouldn't want to fly to a cruise and get sent home for a false positive or sail with people who have a false negative and from what I have been reading the false positives and negatives for the quick tests are very prevalent.

Testing on the day of sailing would be a whole lot better than not doing so.  Hopefully the accuracy of the quick tests will improve by the time these plans are implemented.  Testing again every few days would also be better than not doing so, and should help catch those false negatives and the people who are exposed/infected but not yet positive at the time of boarding.  Catching these cases as early as possible and isolating them would be much better than blissfully sailing along while they continue to infect others.

I do agree with your premise that it would be best to avoid having the virus get on the ship, but you are not going to totally avoid that unless you quarantine all the passengers before sailing, and maybe not even then.  Especially if you allow shore excursions, even closely monitored ones.

4 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Testing on the day of sailing would be a whole lot better than not doing so.  Hopefully the accuracy of the quick tests will improve by the time these plans are implemented.  Testing again every few days would also be better than not doing so, and should help catch those false negatives and the people who are exposed/infected but not yet positive at the time of boarding.  Catching these cases as early as possible and isolating them would be much better than blissfully sailing along while they continue to infect others.

I do agree with your premise that it would be best to avoid having the virus get on the ship, but you are not going to totally avoid that unless you quarantine all the passengers before sailing, and maybe not even then.  Especially if you allow shore excursions, even closely monitored ones.

Not to muddy the waters even more but there is an issue with testing.  In order to to do testing it must be done by a CLIA (the CMS/CLIA) certified lab.  The cruise lines medical directors can always apply for a CLIA certificate, but then it must meet all the US requirements. The work around would be to have a CLIA certified US lab do the testing at the port.  The CLIA certificate issue only arrises if the The test is being performed in the US, it’s territories or commonwealths. 

I have always said that my concern is I fly half way around the world, test positive and have to quaranteen for two weeks.   

• Like 1