Purchase gift cards onboard?

LeeW

Due to the 125% FCC, we will have a very large OBC for our next cruise spread out between seven people.  Unlike other cruise lines, excess FCC becomes OBC.  We know we can use this for Disney vacations and other Disney purchases by calling our TA, but is is possible to buy gift cards onboard?  That way we could spend what we need and cash out the rest in a convenient form. The OBC would pay for a couple of days in a Disney resort and tickets but we don't want to spend it before the cruise.

7 hours ago, LeeW said:

Due to the 125% FCC, we will have a very large OBC for our next cruise spread out between seven people.  Unlike other cruise lines, excess FCC becomes OBC.  We know we can use this for Disney vacations and other Disney purchases by calling our TA, but is is possible to buy gift cards onboard?  That way we could spend what we need and cash out the rest in a convenient form. The OBC would pay for a couple of days in a Disney resort and tickets but we don't want to spend it before the cruise.

I don't believe they sell gift cards onboard.

On 9/28/2020 at 8:11 PM, Shmoo here said:

I don't believe they sell gift cards onboard.

They do in the shops. In 2016, when I cruised with my cast member daughter, I bought an expensive watch, using her generous discount. To make things all above board, I bought enough gift cards to cover the sale and let her use them to make the purchase.

3 hours ago, gometros said:

They do in the shops. In 2016, when I cruised with my cast member daughter, I bought an expensive watch, using her generous discount. To make things all above board, I bought enough gift cards to cover the sale and let her use them to make the purchase.

Yes, they used to, but I believe they stopped doing it a couple of years ago.  I've read they weren't available on the EBTA in 2018 and not on the Fantasy around the same time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Yes, they used to, but I believe they stopped doing it a couple of years ago.  I've read they weren't available on the EBTA in 2018 and not on the Fantasy around the same time.

Thanks for the update. That's why I figured it made sense to mention the date of my info.

That's why I opened this thread.  Did a search and nothing came up although I had thought I had seen it in the past.  Thanks for info!

While my son thinks he can spend his family's $4500 onboard, I'm not so sure.  Even with granddaughter buying out the Goofy Gummies in the store.  And since nobody has sailed yet with large leftover OBC we don't know if it vanishes at the end of the cruise like most OBC does.  Have to assume it does although Disney is unique among cruise lines in converting FCC to something else.  Factoring in all planned shore excursions and gratuities he still has over $1600 left and we have similar amounts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 9:12 AM, LeeW said:

That's why I opened this thread.  Did a search and nothing came up although I had thought I had seen it in the past.  Thanks for info!

While my son thinks he can spend his family's $4500 onboard, I'm not so sure.  Even with granddaughter buying out the Goofy Gummies in the store.  And since nobody has sailed yet with large leftover OBC we don't know if it vanishes at the end of the cruise like most OBC does.  Have to assume it does although Disney is unique among cruise lines in converting FCC to something else.  Factoring in all planned shore excursions and gratuities he still has over $1600 left and we have similar amounts.

Depending on where the OBC came from, it could be refundable.  Any OBC due to onboard booking is non-refundable.    OBC from a travel agent, I'm not sure about.  OBC you purchased (by putting extra payments on your cruise) would be refundable.

Nope.  This is the 125% booking FCC.  Unlike other cruise lines, when you book a new cruise Disney converts the excess to OBC (default) or you can use it for other Disney stuff (tickets, lodging, airlines, gift cards).  Does not have to be used at the same time as the cruise but not sure if it continues to exist after the rebooked cruise.  If it was Royal, the excess would just be converted to another FCC.  That would be OK with me.

Edited by LeeW
clarity

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 12:12 PM, LeeW said:

Depending on the cruise and number of people, I can see using all of the $4.5k. The Alaska excursions are expensive, so with 4 people and throw in a Couples Choice package in the spa along with drinks, and all of it could be gone with out trying to spend it.

Some of the helicopter/floatplane tours we have taken in Alaska have been as high as $400pp.  Never seen anything close in Caribbean, and we take quite a few non-cruiseline tours there.  Even in Alaska you can often get better tours and cheaper prices booking direct.  Plus groups are smaller.  Disney tours do tend to be more costly than other lines.

12 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Some of the helicopter/floatplane tours we have taken in Alaska have been as high as $400pp.  Never seen anything close in Caribbean, and we take quite a few non-cruiseline tours there.  Even in Alaska you can often get better tours and cheaper prices booking direct.  Plus groups are smaller.  Disney tours do tend to be more costly than other lines.

But, even if DCL excursions are more costly, you have OBC to cover it that you would be losing if you don't use it, right?

Not going to book excursions that we are not interested in just because we have OBC.  We will find something to spend it on.  The funny thing is that lots of folks have complained about higher costs on cruises next summer but ours was essentially the same price.

Royal is now allowing the FCC to be applied to several cruises.  Disney's policy is just different and unique.

1 hour ago, LeeW said:

Not going to book excursions that we are not interested in just because we have OBC.  We will find something to spend it on.  The funny thing is that lots of folks have complained about higher costs on cruises next summer but ours was essentially the same price.

Royal is now allowing the FCC to be applied to several cruises.  Disney's policy is just different and unique.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting you just book any excursion whether you liked it or not.  Just that if there's a DCL excursion that's the same excursion that you can get privately that you're interested in, why not book it through DCL?