Travel Insurance update Oct 2020

terrierjohn

26 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Foreign Office Travel advice about cruising is still "no".  Last updated July 2020.  So until they lift that advice, nobody should cruise.  People can only travel to those countries on the exempt list.

We are all aware of that, but these discussions are about if and when the FCDO guidance changes to allow cruising.

I am already to book a cruise for May 2022 and thought I would contact my travel insurance for clarity and to make sure we are fully insured for our cruising in 2022.

We have annual travel insurance through our bank....I was told that if any of the counties that we are visiting are on the " advised not to travel " list at the time of booking then we would not have full cover at the time of cruising if the counties had restrictions in place....even though they may have come out of restrictions and then put back on the list.

So my understanding is that I would have to check on the day of booking that all the countries that we would be visiting....which is quite a few...that none of them are on the " Advised not to travel list" to be sure of full cover.

That brings up an interesting concundrum.  Supposing you have Italy as a country to visit on the cruise and just before you depart, Italy is put on the list,, then presumably the cruise ship will change the port and will not visit?  Or even if they docked for supplies, then nobody would be allowed to disembark.