Christams 2020 Cruises

WorldTraveler151208

Recently, MSC announced that Msc Grandiosa and Magnifica will be sailing the same itineraries during the Christmas season as they are sailing now and not these that were originally planned . Looks like all other cruises in the Mediterranean have been cancelled. Many voyages are still not canceled (for example the ones in South America or in the Emirates), but it is very unlikely that Msc will really sail in these regions. Do you think that Grandiosa and Magnifica wiil be the only Msc ships in service during the christams season? I wanted to book Grandiosa for this time (I was interested in YC) and there are already some dates for which the YC is fully booked or there are just a few cabins left. How is that possible, given that they announced these cruises just a few days ago?

Over the holiday MSC still shows Seaview, Preziosa, Musica and Sinfonia in South America, Grandiosa and Magnifica in the Med, Orchestra in South Africa, Fantasia in Dubai.  All the ships are near those locations, Preziosa and Fantasia are close enough to get there fairly easily.  While the odds may be against them so far I haven't heard of any definitive reasons, such as an outright ban by one or more of the countries, for MSC to cancel those possible sailings.  Waiting to cancel also keeps money in their pockets longer.

Regarding the newest Grandiosa itinerary change I see a number of YC cabins available, which always has varied depending on embarkation port.  I think the seemingly quick booking is probably due to that MSC is likely offering people to move their reservations from the old itineraries.  They did this with the first Grandiosa sailings.

Edited by Até

MSC has continued to sell cruises for cruises from Brazil which at first seems to be crazy given our covid numbers over here. Até mentioned about them keeping "money in their pockets longer". Much longer! Here in Brazil we get a 100% FCC and not the 125% offered in most countries. Also, cash refunds are not given in 60 days or so. MSC must return the cash for cancelled cruises within 12 months after the confirmed end of the pandemic! So somewhere in 2022!!!
We have used our credit to confirm a Christmas 2021 cruise on the MSC Seaside.