Activities Before Lunch & Beach

sjmbruce

I am planning the day for a diverse group of eight. My parents (mid 60's) sister and brother in law (early 30's) my niece and nephew (teens) with me and my husband (mid 30's & mid 40's). My dad and brother in law are bigger guys and aren't super into physical activity. I refuse to go to any of the monkey/sloth/animal places and won't include them in our plans (unless there's a recommendation for a reputable place that provides adequate enclosures and doesn't allow sloths to be manhandled). Anyways, off my soapbox.

The plan is to go to Temporary Cal's for lunch, then West Bay Beach for the rest of the afternoon. I figure the active people can snorkel and swim while others lay on the beach and get some sun. I'd like to fill a couple of hours in the morning with a few activities. The chocolate factory in on the list for sure, but I don't know what else to add to the itinerary. Carambola Gardens? A few photo op locations?  I'm at a loss. 

Temporary Cal's isn't often open for lunch, so you'll need to check their website versus the day of the week you are in Roatan.   Plus TC's and West Bay are for all intensive purposes on opposite ends of the island.  So think 20 minutes from cruise port to TC's and then 45 minutes from TC's to WB.

There are very goo places to eat in WB or West End (where a little shopping can be done.

Gumbalinda Park is another option that is close to WB.  But it may take a cruise ship excursion to visit, which often includes some time on a WB beach.  

3 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Temporary Cal's isn't often open for lunch, so you'll need to check their website versus the day of the week you are in Roatan.   Plus TC's and West Bay are for all intensive purposes on opposite ends of the island.  So think 20 minutes from cruise port to TC's and then 45 minutes from TC's to WB.

There are very goo places to eat in WB or West End (where a little shopping can be done.

Gumbalinda Park is another option that is close to WB.  But it may take a cruise ship excursion to visit, which often includes some time on a WB beach.  

Thanks so much for the information on Temporary Cal's! I don't think the location would work for us, I'll have to start looking up restaurants closer to the rest of what we're doing. 

We should all be aware that Honduras, including Roatan have just been hit with 2 Cat 4/5 hurricanes inside of 2 weeks.  These brought torrential rains and winds to the island.  Most likely caused mud slides, especially in the area north of Dixon Cove toward French harbor where road construction has been eating into the hills.  I suppose the northeast windward side of the island got hit hardest, but we need to hear from people there on the damage.  Maybe Guest 2000 has a link or information.  I doubt communications are up and running at present.

19 hours ago, sjmbruce said:

Thanks so much for the information on Temporary Cal's! I don't think the location would work for us, I'll have to start looking up restaurants closer to the rest of what we're doing. 

Look into La Palapa in West Bay.  Or Sunset Hideaway at Fosters Bay Resort. 

19 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

When is your cruise? My son lives there, not expecting cruise ships any time soon, even if a few ships sail in January. Maybe by next summer....

Hi Carolyn,  Can you provide any update on conditions after the 2 hurricanes.

• 3 weeks later...

Shortages due to issues on mainland and storms blew sand into channel at the Roatan supply port and supply boats ran aground -- looting etc, a mess. No idea when channel can be dredged. Covid still an issue. Interestingly the broker they worked with is still selling properties even though flights are still erratic and expensive. A few resorts  open.  They were here to check on businesses when island shut  but have live in caretaker thank goodness. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/17/2020 at 1:52 PM, Host Carolyn said:

When is your cruise? My son lives there, not expecting cruise ships any time soon, even if a few ships sail in January. Maybe by next summer....

The cruise was in March, but every booked adult in our party voted to cancel. Hope your son is doing well.