Our cruise is not until 2023 but deposit date was Dec 9 2020. I am looking at only medical and evacuation coverage (put down $0 cost for the trip).  Is there any advantage and what are they to buying now (within 14 days of deposit) or should I just wait until closer to the trip date?  I believe the only advantage to buying now may be waiver of pre-existing conditions - is this the case?

I'm NOT Steve, but will share my experience.

For some of my travels I, like you, only cover for medical and evac. However, I still put total trip costs at $499.

Why?

1.) the cost of the insurance is the same whether you put down $0, $1, or up to $499. The price jumps at the $500 or $501 mark. Then jumps again at the $1000 or $1001 price point.

2.) Like you, I'm willing to risk the cancellation, etc. However, since I did put the trip cost at $499, I do have that small amount of cancellation or Trip Delay portion which pays out at 100% or sometimes 150% of trip cost.

For example. Flight gets delayed coming home. Spend the night at the hotel,,, You can file and get some money back. Airline metal change at last minute and you have an out of pocket fee,,, you can file and get some. back.

All without having to pay a higher our of pocket expense for the initial cost of travel insurance.

18 hours ago, JM0115 said:

Our cruise is not until 2023 but deposit date was Dec 9 2020. I am looking at only medical and evacuation coverage (put down $0 cost for the trip).  Is there any advantage and what are they to buying now (within 14 days of deposit) or should I just wait until closer to the trip date?  I believe the only advantage to buying now may be waiver of pre-existing conditions - is this the case?

Hi JM0115,

May I get the following information from you?

- What State do you live in?

- Do any of the travelers have any medical conditions, or had any medication changes for a medical condition, that could worsen and, in turn, cause you to seek treatment on your trip?

- Will any of the travelers be on Medicare when you are on the trip?

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, suehal said:

We don't have any pre-existing conditions

Do you have any family members NOT traveling with you that have pre-existing medical conditions that could interrupt your travel plans.

Grandma, Grandpa, mother, father, brother, sister, son, daughter, aunt, uncle,,,,,

• Like 1

17 hours ago, suehal said:

I just booked a cruise today for Aug of 2022. I declined the cruise line insurance.   What do I need and when do I have to do it by?  We don't have any pre-existing conditions

Hi Suehal,

Do any of your traveling companions or your non-traveling family members, have any medical conditions, or had any medication changes for a medical condition, that could worsen and, in turn, cause you to cancel or interrupt your trip?

Steve Dasseos

No medical conditions for travelers, but I'm worried about cancelling due to aging parents that are not coming with us. Also, don't plan on taking vaccine, so I want to be able to cancel if it becomes required. So basically trip cancellation and medical evacuation?

2 hours ago, suehal said:

No medical conditions for travelers, but I'm worried about cancelling due to aging parents that are not coming with us. Also, don't plan on taking vaccine, so I want to be able to cancel if it becomes required. So basically trip cancellation and medical evacuation?

Hi suehal,

> don't plan on taking vaccine, so I want to be able to cancel if it becomes required

You will need a plan that includes the Cancel For Any Reason coverage because changing your mind is not a normally covered reason to cancel your trip.

You have to buy it within 14 - 21 days (depending on the company) after the first payment you made on Jan 11, 2021.

I'm happy to give you quotes & the details on the plan, but it requires private information: your ages, per person trip cost with airfare if any, destination and travel dates.

If you want, you may email this to me at steve@tripinsurancestore.com with your name & phone number and I'll privately answer you.

Or you can put the info here and I'll tell you the prices.

Steve Dasseos

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2021 at 10:41 AM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi suehal,

> don't plan on taking vaccine, so I want to be able to cancel if it becomes required

You will need a plan that includes the Cancel For Any Reason coverage because changing your mind is not a normally covered reason to cancel your trip.

You have to buy it within 14 - 21 days (depending on the company) after the first payment you made on Jan 11, 2021.

I'm happy to give you quotes & the details on the plan, but it requires private information: your ages, per person trip cost with airfare if any, destination and travel dates.

If you want, you may email this to me at steve@tripinsurancestore.com with your name & phone number and I'll privately answer you.

Steve Dasseos

Hi Steve,

3300 for cruise.  Haven't booked airfare yet

On 1/13/2021 at 10:41 AM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi suehal,

Steve Dasseos

40 minutes ago, scluvsrain said:

Hi Steve,

How are plans different if a traveler has Medicare? And can you explain the look-back period for pre-existing conditions?

Hi scluvsrain,

It depends on what you have for your supplemental coverage. Are you covered by Medicare with a supplement you bought on your own or on a former employers' retiree health plan? Or do you have Advantage plans?

If you bought your own Medicare Supplement, here's how it covers you outside the USA:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/medicare-does-not-cover-you-outside-the-usa/

Next, here's how the Pre-Existing Medical Condition Lookback Period works:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-pre-existing-medical-condition-lookback-period/

Steve Dasseos

1 hour ago, scluvsrain said:

Hi Steve,

I live in California and have a Medicare Advantage plan. Last time I bought travel insurance I wasn’t yet eligible for Medicare. 

Hi scluvsrain,

Advantage plans' coverage varies. Call them and ask this: “If I get hit by a cement truck in the Caribbean (or another destination), how much will I have to pay out of pocket?”

I wrote about how to do this in my Blog a little over 12 years ago:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/does-your-health-insurance-cover-you-outside-the-usa/

Steve Dasseos

10 hours ago, sailinginthesunset said:

Our cruise is also Jan 2023 180 days out of the country. We are from NY- what are our options? 

Hi sailinginthesunset,

I'm happy to give you quotes & the details on the plans, but it requires private information: your ages, initial trip deposit date, zip code, per person trip cost with airfare if any, destination and travel dates.

If you want, you may email this to me at steve@tripinsurancestore.com with your name & phone number and I'll privately answer you.

Steve Dasseos