Travel Insurance recommendation / COVID

greatnitz

Wife and I are heading on a Mediterranean Cruise out of Italy next June.   We booked the cruise through Costo and airfare separate through Delta and didn't purchase and trip insurance at the time of booking.   Our biggest concerns on travel are the potential COVID travel restrictions that may still be in place next summer, primarily the following:   1)  We live in the US but are flying in/out of Toronto and are worried that Canada won't let us cross the border  and 2)  Italy won't allow travelers from the US to enter their country.  I called Travel Guard (who Costco uses for Trip insurance) and asked for a quote but found out that they wouldn't cover either of those situations.   If we had purchased the travel insurance up to 21 days after booking the cruise and flight, we could have purchased the "cancel for any reason" police through them...but now it's too late.

Has anyone had a similar situation with Travel Insurance and are there any reputable companies where we can use a policy based on travel limitations out of the US?   Any assistance is appreciated.

Darren

Darren,

I think you would be best served by calling a travel insurance broker who specializes in this type of insurance and who works with many different insurance companies.  At the risk of violating board rules I would suggest you start with Steve Dasseos (often featured here on CC) at the tripinsurancestore.com.  There are other brokers if you want to "shop around" for info such as squaremouth travel insurance although my caution about them is that they sometimes steer folks to their own products.  

Hank

On 12/14/2020 at 9:30 AM, greatnitz said:

Wife and I are heading on a Mediterranean Cruise out of Italy next June.   We booked the cruise through Costo and airfare separate through Delta and didn't purchase and trip insurance at the time of booking.   Our biggest concerns on travel are the potential COVID travel restrictions that may still be in place next summer, primarily the following:   1)  We live in the US but are flying in/out of Toronto and are worried that Canada won't let us cross the border  and 2)  Italy won't allow travelers from the US to enter their country.  I called Travel Guard (who Costco uses for Trip insurance) and asked for a quote but found out that they wouldn't cover either of those situations.   If we had purchased the travel insurance up to 21 days after booking the cruise and flight, we could have purchased the "cancel for any reason" police through them...but now it's too late.

Has anyone had a similar situation with Travel Insurance and are there any reputable companies where we can use a policy based on travel limitations out of the US?   Any assistance is appreciated.

Darren

Hi Darren,

I'm doing a Q& A for December here on CruiseCritic at: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2500-qa-cruise-insurance-with-the-tripinsurancestorecom-december-2020/

I also did one for June 2020 that you might find helpful: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2484-qa-cruise-insurance-w-steve-dasseos-of-the-tripinsurancestorecom-june-2020/

Since you made your first payment on your trip last June, you cannot get a plan that includes the Cancel For Any Reason coverage. This means that if you have to cancel for a not-covered reason there are no trip cancellation plans that will cover you. it's possible you could get a pre-departure waiver plan from the cruise line. Ask your travel agent about this.

Steve Dasseos