Valuables on beach

missymckibben

I'm recently divorced and have only traveled with my ex-husband.  What does everyone do with their valuables when they are on a beach?  Is it better to be on a private beach?  I have a plastic thing that goes around your neck with enough room for my phone and some cash.  Any other ideas?

I don't know if this works but I used a fanny pack ( I get a lot of slack from my concert friends). 

I think the only beach I did by myself was Magen's Bay so didn't go in the water.

* What I did like about GSC was that it was a tender from the ship and I only needed my key card. 

Therefore I would say the private beach was better because I could leave my wallet and phone in the room safe. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 2:54 PM, missymckibben said:

I'm recently divorced and have only traveled with my ex-husband.  What does everyone do with their valuables when they are on a beach?  Is it better to be on a private beach?  I have a plastic thing that goes around your neck with enough room for my phone and some cash.  Any other ideas?

Do the same thing you did when you were married? Unless, of course, only one of you went for a swim at a time.

I take the bare minimum valuables. I hide my wallet and phone wrapped up in something so it is rather difficult to just walk by and grab. Folding the chair over to cover everything helps.

Rarely do I bother a neighbor to watch stuff, but I will if they're friendly or if there are many beach vendors.   I think it's silly looking to wear it around your neck but not outrageous. I even see people do it on the ship!! 

(and most of the people on the beach ARE from the ship(s))

Edited by tiger-91

• 4 weeks later...

I bring the bare minimum, and use one of those waterproof-around-the-neck things to hold my cell phone (if I don’t leave it in cabin), room key, ID and whatever bit of cash or credit card I bring ashore. Don’t care if it looks silly - better than missing out on a swim or worrying about things being stolen. If someone steals my coverup, flip flops, hat etc. it would be inconvenient but not a big deal. That said, I’ve never had anything stolen in my many solo travels.

I'm also super nearsighted, so generally wear my prescription sunglasses with a croakie when I swim. If I’m going to snorkel, I jam the glasses into the neck pouch, which can be a deciding factor for leaving the cellphone onboard. You may want to get a cheap watch so you won’t need your phone for keeping track of time. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 9:15 AM, Sail4th said:

Get a clean diaper and place your items in it and close it up as if its dirty, no one will touch it. 

So funny. You could also take something that looks like poop and smear it on a small area. Watered down acrylic paint? 

• 3 months later...