Viking Ocean - Chasing the Northern Lights - Feb 2022

ChiefLnc7

On 2/6/2021 at 4:21 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Thanks John. Did you get up there (to Fjelheisen) by any chance while we were in Tromsø? View from on top was pretty amazing. We walked across the bridge and visited the cathedral. I'm most disappointed that we never made it to Bodø being that we had booked the evening organ concert excursion

Unfortunately we did not get up there, mainly because of my wife's fear of height..  She did get to see the concert and said it was great.  I was on another excursion.  Like you, we also walked across the bridge.  Oh how it brings back memories of all the great experiences we had until it ended suddenly.  However, with all the negatively going on in the world I would rather think of all the positive memories from that trip.    John

• Like 2

On 2/8/2021 at 10:30 AM, johneb2 said:

Oh how it brings back memories of all the great experiences we had until it ended suddenly.  However, with all the negatively going on in the world I would rather think of all the positive memories from that trip. 

Well said....

47 minutes ago, johneb2 said:

Do you remember when everyone rushed on deck to see this?   There really was great scenery on this trip!   JohnEB

Oh yeah! Wow....it truly was some amazing scenery. Sort of ironic that you chose this 'hole in the rock' being that we just watched a PBS program that was set in Norway, and they referred to this. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Hi Haworth....you're right. Weather was very nice. We did the pre-cruise extension in Oslo and were glad we did, having never been in Norway previously. I recall that Tirpitz excursion (at least I think it was something the ship offered?) now that you mention it. Tough choices sometimes on what to do. Having been for the most part denied of any recent travel opportunity, it's almost therapeutic in a way reliving some of these memories of past trips. Thanks for sharing pics. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

And who can forget the joys of either dog or reindeer sledding? Here are videos I put together for my youtube channel. BTW, the guy seen briefly at 1:16 in the first video was one of the outstanding science lecturers that was onboard...Michael Dispezio. His presentations were so interesting.

Love the sun poking through the clouds around 4:00 in this first one. I also enjoyed how both excursions ended in a lavvu. Ah...such fun it all was (well, until it wasn't). 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

Cool. This is becoming a fun thread...let's keep the pics coming!!!  Great diversion from all things either covid or politics-related. Awesome shot with those dark clouds.

No exact idea of location...since it looks like so much of what we saw. Could be almost anywhere between Narvik, Alta and Tromsø! I assume that's a pilot boat, so probably either arriving or leaving one of the three ports. I'm going to guess, based on comparison to my pics, that it was after leaving Tromsø and possibly (though probably not) having already passed the arctic circle globe. It reminds me so much of this pic, which was taken on the 22nd heading south. I stil suspect your pic was closer to Tromsø than the other ports. (?)  

IMG_0993.jpg

Edited by OnTheJourney