Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

Has anyone else had trouble finishing their medical documents? We've tried several times and never get the email response that is supposed to happen. Without the email response, we also do not have a form for our doctor to complete. We've contacted Viking guest services but haven't heard a solution yet.

From: No-Reply Vikand via Smartsheet <automation@smartsheet.vikand.com>

SUBJECT: Step 1 of 2 completed: Action required to complete your medical screening form

Dear

Thank you for completing the first step of your medical screening form with Vikand, Viking's medical partner. A PDF of your medical report is attached. Your Submission ID is xxxxxxxxxxxx.

Next step: Medical screening by a doctor

Option 1: Book with a Vikand Online Doctor at https://vikandmedical.com/viking-welcome . Share your Submission ID with the Vikand Doctor using the chat function in the online consultation, and they will take care of the rest.

Option 2: Book with your local doctor. Share your Submission ID and the following link to your local doctor: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
By accessing the link, your doctor will be able to complete the form online.

Option 3: Download and print a hard copy of the doctor’s section of the form (see PDF icon at the bottom of the page). This link will only work for 14 days. Ask your doctor to complete a hard copy of the form, scan it, and upload it via https://vikandmedical.com/viking-welcome/

Please note that medical screening by a doctor (including the form submission) must be completed at least 30-45 days prior to your departure date.

Once we have received the medical screening report, we will complete the review process and notify you directly about the results.

If you have any questions, please contact us via guestservices@viking.com

We’re happy to help.

Yours sincerely,

VIKAND Solutions

VIKAND is committed to protecting Medical Screening Forms in accordance with privacy laws and ensures the data is used only for the purpose for which it was intended, review of Medical Screening Forms.

1 hour ago, disudds said:

Has anyone else had trouble finishing their medical documents? We've tried several times and never get the email response that is supposed to happen. Without the email response, we also do not have a form for our doctor to complete. We've contacted Viking guest services but haven't heard a solution yet.

It's from Vikand. It may be in spam. But, I've done it twice (b/c the form expires if you don't download and print it out), and both times it arrived within minutes of submission.

Just now, HHI Cruiser1 said:

Has the process changed again?  We just printed out blank form and wrote in the answers, then Doc reviewed and signed.  Then just use your cellphone to take pictures of each page and upload those for Viking's review. 

That should work, too. (Don't know where the blank form is, but I'm sure it's somewhere)

8 minutes ago, HHI Cruiser1 said:

Has the process changed again?  We just printed out blank form and wrote in the answers, then Doc reviewed and signed.  Then just use your cellphone to take pictures of each page and upload those for Viking's review. 

That’s exactly what we did, no issues.

2 hours ago, HHI Cruiser1 said:

I think maybe the process has changed. The form is an online questionnaire with no option to download. I suppose we could print it once we fill it out, but I'm not sure what good that would do. There is no doctor form and no mention of a doctor on the form. Are you saying the doctor just signed off on what you filled in? We can do step ! and 2, but we do not get an email and have nothing for the doctor to fill out. Between my husband and myself, we have submitted 7 times.image.thumb.png.70dd41cdedcfd2c8ca060dfe68c9b36f.png

10 minutes ago, VLC1513 said:

We are on the Polaris next week and I am wondering if there is any outer wear provided by Viking. I am wondering what I need to bring for wet or cold weather. Any tips appreciated.

They provide boots and waterproof pants for the expedition equipment. If going to Antartica, you also get a parka. The boots and pants are pretty bulky, only good for riding the toys.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

They provide boots and waterproof pants for the expedition equipment. If going to Antartica, you also get a parka. The boots and pants are pretty bulky, only good for riding the toys.

Do they have parkas to borrow if not going to Antarctica?

I guess Viking figured that they had a problem with the medical forms because today we received an email from Viking pointing out that we had not completed our medical forms. So, we tried one more time and it seems to have worked. Problem solved. Thanks everyone for your input!

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 9:06 AM, disudds said:

I guess Viking figured that they had a problem with the medical forms because today we received an email from Viking pointing out that we had not completed our medical forms. So, we tried one more time and it seems to have worked. Problem solved. Thanks everyone for your input!

I'm a retired physician and have submitted three times with reply receipt. Never heard from them. I have printed and filled out the forms and just told quest services that I will have in hand when boarding.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 10:06 AM, WAVTAM said:

I'm a retired physician and have submitted three times with reply receipt. Never heard from them. I have printed and filled out the forms and just told quest services that I will have in hand when boarding.

You are in good company. The non-recognition of medical form submission appears to be an ongoing problem for Viking expedition passengers, including two years ago when we were supposed to take the Octantis to Antarctica, but were quarantined in Miami due to a false positive Covid test. From other social media sites, I hear the problem is widespread.

On 9/13/2023 at 5:19 PM, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

No, no luggage fee. We checked 2 bags each.

Florida Flounder, do you remember what kind of luggage restrictions were on the charter flight? My husband and I are going on the 12/29/23 sailing of Octantis, and our itinerary shows Felix Airlines as the carrier. The only thing I've found about them online is that they are based in Yemen and they have a restriction of basically two carry-on size bags.

Any insight you can give would be helpful, as my husband loves to just take a big bag and throw whatever he feels like into it. Information from a source NOT me might actually sway him!

We're from the Tampa Bay area, so any tips to dwellers of heat and humidity would be welcome, too!

3 minutes ago, minnow76 said:

Florida Flounder, do you remember what kind of luggage restrictions were on the charter flight? My husband and I are going on the 12/29/23 sailing of Octantis, and our itinerary shows Felix Airlines as the carrier. The only thing I've found about them online is that they are based in Yemen and they have a restriction of basically two carry-on size bags.

Any insight you can give would be helpful, as my husband loves to just take a big bag and throw whatever he feels like into it. Information from a source NOT me might actually sway him!

We're from the Tampa Bay area, so any tips to dwellers of heat and humidity would be welcome, too!

It's a Viking charter so there should be no fees or restrictions. Though people have noted weight limits on some of the pre and post cruise extensions because they're likely using small planes.

To my knowledge, everybody on that Felix plane should be a Viking customer. It's a 737 so I don't think you'll hit weight on it.

Edited by Mike07

Just now, Mike07 said:

It's a Viking charter so there should be no fees or restrictions. Though people have noted weight limits on some of the pre and post cruise extensions.

To my knowledge, everybody on that Felix plane should be a Viking customer. It's a 737 so I don't think you'll hit weight on it.

Mike, thanks for your quick and helpful reply. Although I'm probably not going to tell my husband what you said. 🙂 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, minnow76 said:

Mike, thanks for your quick and helpful reply. Although I'm probably not going to tell my husband what you said. 🙂 

I would be curious if Viking has an upper limit of how many checked bags you can do, but likely nobody has taken full advantage of it either.

Since it's a charter, I would guess the airline gets the same fee whether everybody brings a carry on and zero check ins or everybody has two check ins.

3 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

I would be curious if Viking has an upper limit of how many checked bags you can do, but likely nobody has taken full advantage of it either.

Since it's a charter, I would guess the airline gets the same fee whether everybody brings a carry on and zero check ins or everybody has two check ins.

Well, I'm DEFINITELY not telling my husband about your curiosity. He might see it as a challenge! 😛 

Hmmmm...there's always a risk, I think, if you check bags in. We didn't even fly for one cruise, and my husband's bag took a different vacation than we did. But there is something to be said about letting someone else deal with your bags! I'll report back what our experience is!

Another question for Antarctica passengers: what is the laundry situation? I see that there are self service launderettes onboard; is there special detergent to purchase onboard or should I bring something along? How easy or difficult is it to use those facilities? 

Thanks in advance for your insight!

1 hour ago, minnow76 said:

Another question for Antarctica passengers: what is the laundry situation? I see that there are self service launderettes onboard; is there special detergent to purchase onboard or should I bring something along? How easy or difficult is it to use those facilities? 

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Edit.... Apparently use Viking provided detergent.

From my understanding, the detergent is included....

Edited by Mike07
  • Thanks 1