Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

3 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

The two expedition ships need to head to the Antarctic so I doubt you’ll see any later GL dates.

Yeah I hadn't thought of in terms of them using both ships down there. In looking at all the GL itineraries, there's really nothing past 9/26 or thereabouts. Thanks!

3 hours ago, deec said:

Much after Late September and the Great Lakes can also be notoriously rough!  I think September will be the best weather window.

Well, except that if the trip starts on 9/23 it won't end till 10/9. You bring up a great point, and I wonder if - since this is the longest GL itinerary they've yet come up with - have they even been on the lakes into October? I don't really want to be part of an experiment. I see that this year they're doing the 15-day "Great Lakes Collection" starting on 9/26, so that's roughly the same timeframe. I really don't know what to do here - somehow hate to fight the midges in early May. I wouldn't be all that concerned about any of this yet if it weren't for having to at least book something by mid-Oct. to use the vouchers we got from the MS cruise.  I'm not a great fan of rough seas. Luckily we got "Drake Lake" for the two times we crossed.

Edited by OnTheJourney

49 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Well, except that if the trip starts on 9/23 it won't end till 10/9. You bring up a great point, and I wonder if - since this is the longest GL itinerary they've yet come up with - have they even been on the lakes into October? I don't really want to be part of an experiment. I see that this year they're doing the 15-day "Great Lakes Collection" starting on 9/26, so that's roughly the same timeframe. I really don't know what to do here - somehow hate to fight the midges in early May. I wouldn't be all that concerned about any of this yet if it weren't for having to at least book something by mid-Oct. to use the vouchers we got from the MS cruise.  I'm not a great fan of rough seas. Luckily we got "Drake Lake" for the two times we crossed.

Promo going on now on South American Expedition cruises. FLL to Santiago and Santiago to Ushuaia are really great deals.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/expeditions/promotions.html?promoCode=CSA24&cid=EML|AJO|999|Email+-+240823_vxp_csa24&utm_source=email&utm_medium=AJO&utm_content=Email+-+240823_vxp_csa24&correlationId=437ddddb-3eae-46b7-9d14-66717c18fda6-0

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Promo going on now on South American Expedition cruises. FLL to Santiago and Santiago to Ushuaia are really great deals.

Thanks but not really interested in that. We've been to Ushuaia on an Antarctica cruise back in '17.

34 minutes ago, deec said:

I think you will be fine in September early October.

Thanks for the encouraging words. If we do have rough water, as long as the musicians don't start doing "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" LOL   On the Sky, during the bomb cyclone back in '19, during lunch the guitarist was playing "My Heart will Go On".  😆

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

But that was in November. 😎

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Indeed, the 10th. Many years ago we visited the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point, MI   They played the song over and over the entire time!!!

and ... you're not on Lake Superior during the trip 😈. You can, however, visit the Mariner's Church referenced in the song during your Detroit stop!

I don't think you are at any more risk for heavy weather during that trip than you would be on any body of deep water anywhere else. Even if it does kick up, you are a lot closer to lee shore protection than at sea.

FWIW, many year ago during a July Mackinac race, we ran into a 50-knot westerly blow for the length of Lake Huron. It was a very long 18 hours in a 35 foot sailboat and 25 foot seas. 🍺🥌

46 minutes ago, deec said:

Curler Rob my husband was no doubt on that race too....me no not ever....love sailing hate racing.  Are you on Lake St. Clair or Huron?

Neither now - Toronto area, so Lake Ontario, although no boat. I started my work career in Windsor in 1978 where I learned to sail. Kept my boat in Kingsville on Lake Erie and raced all over Erie and St. Clair.

My two Mac races were on a C&C 35 out of Bayview. My memory is fuzzy, but I think 1979 - 81 range. I look forward to clarifying that with you both on the Bergen - NYC next summer! 🍺🥌

• Like 1

It will be fun to meet!!!  We are members of BYC but my husband was not racing Mac yet '79-81!  My dad sailed on Walloon about that time.  We know many of the C&C 35 fleet.  Stories can be shared up in the Explorer's Lounge.

• Like 2