Considering Silver Origin

josh1324342

We are considering a Galapagos cruise for our anniversary this year.  We've never been to the Galapagos nor have we ever sailed on Silversea.  Does anybody have a good travel agent to work with for Silversea?  We usually book stuff on our own, but SIlversea doesn't seem to be readily available when I search.  We're also considering some of the Celebrity ships as we've done cruises with them before and really enjoyed the experience.  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks.

Having sailed both Celebrity and Silverseas, in my opinion there is no comparison. Celebrity is not bad but just not a luxury cruise line. Only did Celebrity once and never wanted to go back. Just my $.02 worth. I guess right now I would take any cruise line, even Carnaval!!

• Haha 1

Regarding Travel Agents vs. cruise line consultants, there are are discussions on these boards from time to time debating which is best.  I have used both for Silversea and would not say there is a significant difference; both have been responsive and get me about the same deal.  I personally think the Silversea in-house consultants are better informed about upcoming drydocks and what cruises are selling fastest.

2 hours ago, taxatty said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Please note that we're not allowed to suggest using specific travel agencies by name on the CC boards. 

Sorry, I didn't realize recommendations were not allowed.  I knew advertising wasn't but thought it was ok to ask for recommendations.  

4 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Having sailed both Celebrity and Silverseas, in my opinion there is no comparison. Celebrity is not bad but just not a luxury cruise line. Only did Celebrity once and never wanted to go back. Just my $.02 worth. I guess right now I would take any cruise line, even Carnaval!!

We've done suites with Celebrity and the experience is quite a bit different then the regular rooms.  You've got your own dining room, lounge, and deck area which is quite nice.  If we do end up going with Silversea it will be interesting to see the difference.  We like some of the stuff on board the larger ships, but all of the ships in the Galapagos are small, so they all seem to have similar amenities onboard.

I can not give an opinion on regular Celebrity Ships since i've never been on one... but, I was on the Celebrity  Xpedition in the Galapagos several years ago.  It was fabulous!  I have since become a regular on Silversea, and can only imagine that the Origin is a more luxurious experience... but the star of this trip will definitely be the Islands and Animals. I doubt you can make a bad choice between the two.

• Like 2

Having been burned by the mistakes of a couple of TAs over the years, I  now book directly with Silversea.  Contact is easy through the website.  I appreciate the SS consultants' having real time access to info on available suites and their ability to go elsewhere in corporate to get answers/exceptions when needed.

We did Galapagos on Celebrity Xpedition, when Silversea was using the old Renaissance R-III [Silver Galapagos].  Now both lines have changed to brand-new sister ships, identical in engineering but different in decor and service.  Surely Silversea is a higher level than Celebrity.  And yet, one thing that has always distinguished Celebrity from all other providers in the Galapagos is their charter flight from Quito to Baltra (and back).  All other flights from Quito land at Guayaquil before proceeding to Baltra.  I haven't heard that Silversea, under its new RCG ownership, has matched that – why not?