Good news, some more vaccination answers.

mredandchis

The Israelis are ahead of the world in vaccinations nearing 65 percent herd immunity.  But the important part is that they are studying the results as they go.  This article released of the latest study that shows overall that the Pfizer vaccine is not only 97 percent effective on preventing symptomatic illness , it is also 
94 percent effective in preventing asymptomatic illness. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/11/pfizer-covid-vaccine-blocks-94percent-of-asymptomatic-infections-and-97percent-of-symptomatic-cases-in-israeli-study.html    If someone would have said last april that we would have a vaccine that effective I would have laughed. After all the flu vaccine is 40 to 60 percent effective.  

I look back at the Diamond Princess and the Japanese testing of people on board for a period of over 2 weeks at the beginning of the Pandemic. Of about 3770 crew and passengers, by the end of the saga,  there were 306 symptomatic, 328 asymptomatic and tragically 13 deaths. Remember this is still before social distancing and masks but the ship was locked down and people were isolated after the virus started to spread.  That cruise was just like any cruise we all have been on until the spread.  And it ended up, as a petri dish for Covid19, that 9.2 percent of all onboard got covid-19.  But now add a vaccine.  

Things get a little sketchy with part of the people with immunity mixed with people who do not.  What the ratio will be is all guess work.  Herd immunity should be about 80 percent of the population having immunity to reach a threshold of less than 1.  Covid19 has a threshold of 2 - 3, the flu has 1 - 2 and norovirus is a 2.  So assuming there was no restrictions and a person boarded the ship with covid-19, he or she would have to 6 in 100 chance to spread it to someone that recovered from covid or has the vaccine.  And also will have a 1 in 19 chance to spread it to someone without immunity. They would have to find the weak link.  But then again the odds of hitting your number on a Roulette wheel is 1 in 37.

With that all said  there is a chance of covid-19 getting on your next cruise.  But there is no real chance of it infecting the entire ship , not like the Norovirus. Just my opinion.  

And one more thing,  until we get more people vaccinated and get into the "general all others" category of vaccine roll out, wear a mask in crowds and social distance, we got to keep the covid19 score down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its the nutjob vaccine naysayers that will help drag this pandemic out longer than it has to as these same people will complain the most about their rights, length of covid rules, and limitations. I have had my first Moderna shot. I have some in my family that believe this virus was designed to kill senior citizens so they can't collect social security and the vaccine is the mark of the beast. 🙄 SMFH ....

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Its important to note that the data for Isreal is for people who are also social distancing and wearing masks, so the spreadability factor of the ship is an important reminder of why we should continue to wear masks and get everyone vaccinated.  Those 95% plus numbers are a great miracle, but the new varients we are seeing are up to twice as contagious or even moreso, if recent data is to be understood.  The more cases the more varients.  A recent New Yorker article on the varients was excellent.  I dont have a link but recommend searching it up.  Stay safe everyone and please vaccinate.  We have a limited opportunity to manage this illness globally and preventing cases, even nonsymptomatic ones, like in children, are critical to not create worse varients.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pizzasteve said:

Its important to note that the data for Isreal is for people who are also social distancing and wearing masks, so the spreadability factor of the ship is an important reminder of why we should continue to wear masks and get everyone vaccinated.  Those 95% plus numbers are a great miracle, but the new varients we are seeing are up to twice as contagious or even moreso, if recent data is to be understood.  The more cases the more varients.  A recent New Yorker article on the varients was excellent.  I dont have a link but recommend searching it up.  Stay safe everyone and please vaccinate.  We have a limited opportunity to manage this illness globally and preventing cases, even nonsymptomatic ones, like in children, are critical to not create worse varients.

The wearing of masks at this time in Israelis is to avoid confusion according to goverment sources until they get more people vaccinated.  They are hovering around the 1 threshhold and need to get below that . Good news for you is this data is with the nation being attacked by 2 of the new variants, this is not just the original covid19.  There is also a new wave sweeping the planet.  Italy and Hungary are 2 that come to mind that are being overrun.  Israels' new cases are dropping dramatically every day and while the US is also dropping at a fairly steady pace Israel will duck under the US infection rate before the end of the month.  They are heading to prepandemic levels and may achieve it by summer.