Cunard Princess Recollections

sail1658

In 1990 we sailed on Cunard Princess to the Black Sea, starting in Athens and finishing in Venice. We had calls at Odessa and Yalta, still then the Soviet Union, Istanbul, and the rustic Mykonos, as well as an uncrowded Santorini. We also visited Split, still then part of Yugoslavia, then we enjoyed a magical sail into Venice.  With flights included it was a great bargain even if we did only have bunk beds.

I remember the ship being a bit worn, but cosy. When I think back to the dining, it was Russian Service, - everything was served separately, and the waiter showed you your main course on a  platter. The meat was heated up on a silver platter on the waiter's station, then he served it to you and all his other tables. Then the bus boy came around all the tables, first with potatoes, then the vegetables, then the sauce or condiments and black pepper. Didn't know whether to wait for everything and let it go cold or eat my steak then the veg when it arrived.

We had great times as we were invited to the Wardroom Party and even the Captain's Cabin Cocktail Party!  I naively thought this would happen on every cruise, but I've since realised it was because we were a novelty at the time, - the youngest couple on the ship! Not any more!! I don't think nostalgia about old ships is as good as we remember, because I much prefer the new ships now. Give me Queen Victoria anytime!

I've put a link to the Black Sea part of the cruise, Odessa and Varna, - still working on Istanbul and Greek Islands. On my YouTube site,
Cruise Video Memories https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbYW-Y1IjRSD9MECilTBG5A  you can see the contrast between Queen Victoria and Cunard Princess

• Like 1

12 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Enjoyed a Bermuda cruise from New York in the late 80’s.

We also did this cruise in May/June 1989 and loved it. It was our first visit to both places and was so exciting, but unfortunately we didn't have a video camera at that time so only have photos.

We only docked in Hamilton as there was a tug strike so we couldn't dock at St Georges. The three days in Hamilton meant we could tour the island on the local buses and enjoy the beaches.  The other large ship in photo 3 is Bermuda Star of Commodore Cruise Line.

Cunard Princess 1.jpg

Cunard Princess 3.jpg

Cunard Princess & Bermuda Star.jpg

Edited by sail1658
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am so glad I discovered this chat.  I was lucky enough to be the Tour Manager/Assistant Cruise Director on this ship in 1987. My first ship and I fell in love with cruising! Sadly, I just read an article that she has been sailed into Turkey (on July 11) and is being scraped.

• Like 1

Aha, while you were on The Princess in 1990, we were in the Caribbean on her sister ship, Cunard Countess...

69968691_cuncountess041.jpg.1670b10acbe1d3f3b1f4706e35b94f1b.jpg

1272426482_Countesscolortouchup.thumb.jpg.4d518c3fdf47adeaf8558c9b2e653504.jpg

I liked your video particularly as it brought back memories of Odessa and of course the Potemkin Steps.

We were there later and I wrote a review on my cruise blog...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/04/23/one-way-to-do-odessa/

...which included a visit to the catacombs...

145379903_Yuriyexplainsthekitchenareas.thumb.jpg.c20101e10b5c90e53abb8c0887fa9d2a.jpg

One wonders what use they have been put to these days?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

I liked your video particularly as it brought back memories of Odessa and of course the Potemkin Steps.

Glad you enjoyed the video. I read your interesting blog about Odessa as well as others.. It's amazing to see the changes from the drab Soviet times in 1990 to your visit in 2013. Also it's so sad to see what's happening there now. We think about all the places we've seen over the years in our cruising times which are now no-go areas, and we're so glad we saw them when we did.

I was particularly interested to see your blog about QM2 September 2011 Canada and New England cruise. We also enjoyed that cruise and believe you appear in one of my videos when we left Quebec during the storm and the ensuing fire in the funnel. We were at the Senior Officers Party when the announcement came from Captain Oprey. We believe we recognise you from your blogs as you were speaking to Ray Rouse and his wife. Timing on the video at the party is 30.27  

Edited by sail1658
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, sail1658 said:

Glad you enjoyed the video. I read your interesting blog about Odessa as well as others.. It's amazing to see the changes from the drab Soviet times in 1990 to your visit in 2013. Also it's so sad to see what's happening there now. We think about all the places we've seen over the years in our cruising times which are now no-go areas, and we're so glad we saw them when we did.

I was particularly interested to see your blog about QM2 September 2011 Canada and New England cruise. We also enjoyed that cruise and believe you appear in one of my videos when we left Quebec during the storm and the ensuing fire in the funnel. We were at the Senior Officers Party when the announcement came from Captain Oprey. We believe we recognise you from your blogs as you were speaking to Ray Rouse and his wife. Timing on the video at the party is 30.27  

Hah. Small world and well spotted. I'll send my wife a link to the video. 

Yes, I recognise the Red Tux on the ballroom floor.

I remember the incident well. We continued drinking while the pianist continued playing. That was Captain Oprey's first command of the Queen Mary 2 and, at an earlier CTP, chatting to his wife Cheryl, we discovered they were relative neighbours of ours. Needless to say we later had to give up a Grills dinner in order to dine with the staff...

1033151390_CaptainsDinner.thumb.JPG.ea6d4729c0ea15015edc29076864fe0f.JPG

😅

• Like 1

• 1 year later...