FCDO advice has not changed as yet. Will insurance cover you for latest summer cruises?

seapals2

Read the article on cruise lines start up dates.  Interesting point made that right now the FCDO has advised against cruise travel.  Does that mean that bookings made for the latest announced summer cruises will not be covered?  

Who knows?
Unfortunately, updates change daily, but I have heard that there is discussion in Parliament about holidays and there was to be an announcement in the first week of April. However yesterday Grant Shapps, the Transport minister cautioned against Foreign holidays, due to a 3rd wave in Europe.

I suppose you will have to look at T&C of your Insurance. I know that when ours came up for renewal, they specified that it wouldn’t cover COVID-19, so we didn’t renew, as we don’t yet have a holiday booked.

1 hour ago, seapals2 said:

Ours does cover against Covid related problems ... however would not cover us if we booked against the advice of FCDO.  

Dont think any travel insurance in the UK would cover you if you were travelling against the advice FCDO at the time of travel but as I see it it doesnt matter what the advice is when you book it but when you go. Also P&O or any cruise line would not sail if FCDO advice was not to sail because it would make their own insurance invalid.

Agree but cruises go on sale tomorrow and presumably the balance will be due by May.  Fully expecting the ships to sail however in the past we have sadly had to cancel a cruise due to illness of family member.  Worried if we book against foreign office advice it may make it difficult to claim.  I’m sure there will be an update to clarify the advice.  

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cruise-ship-travel

9 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Dont think any travel insurance in the UK would cover you if you were travelling against the advice FCDO at the time of travel but as I see it it doesnt matter what the advice is when you book it but when you go.

I thought that the FCDO advice is "It is illegal to travel abroad for holidays."

Maybe this does not apply to these cruises to nowhere or only to UK ports

As of a few weeks ago the UK was not allowing anything but emergency travel out of the country. Of course things change almost daily.!

I was in UK for my father's funeral and was allowed to travel home to Florida  from Heathrow airport which was almost empty. The plane had only about 50 passengers on a large plane. It was heaven!

9 hours ago, caribill said:

I thought that the FCDO advice is "It is illegal to travel abroad for holidays."

Maybe this does not apply to these cruises to nowhere or only to UK ports

But by the time of the cruise the FCDO advice will have changed so it will not be illegal to travel and if they dont remove it the cruises will be cancelled by cruise company because they would not sail against FCDO advice.

19 hours ago, seapals2 said:

Ours does cover against Covid related problems ... however would not cover us if we booked against the advice of FCDO.  

Not so much if you booked but if you actually went at the time against FCDO advice. You can book when FCDO advice is not to travel but if when the actual cruise sails the FCDO advice is changed you will be covered.