CSA/Generali Global Ins. - ?s

mlbcruiser

Booked a cruise for next year last week.  Since there was a 10 day look back period in which I can cancel the policy, I went ahead and accepted  the insurance. Once I finally received the terms on the policy (4 days later), There appeared to be a couple of things different about it than what I was told by the travel agent. Therefore I tried to reach the company via the phone numbers presented in the email I received from them to gat some clarity on the coverage. Tried about half of the options on their recording to get to a human being. I have tried every option on their recording from purchasing a new policy to asking for explanation of a it’s benefits, to canceling  a policy to filing a claim, etc.  I understand that perhaps Covid issues have something to do with this. Just the same I’m not willing to deal with such poor customer service. They did not even have an option to pick indicating they would call me back within a certain amount of time - or at all! when I purchased this insurance I was told that the company was actually CSA but is now called Generali.  At this point I’m pretty sure I’m going to cancel the policy. I can always find other coverage. I’m wondering if anyone has had issues because I would hate to be in a situation right now where I truly needed to reach someone at the company regarding

an emergency issue. It says in the information they sent me that you must CALL to cancel a policy within 10 days. What if you can’t reach them? This is a minor thing at this point but what if it were a major thing?  Right now I’m really thinking I will have to cancel the insurance. I plan to contact my booking agent this afternoon once I know he is in the office. 

is anyone else out there who has just very recently booked a cruise and who has needed to contact their insurance company had issues reaching them? With this  or any other cruise Insurance company. Thank you for any helpful feedback.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2021 at 10:33 AM, mlbcruiser said:

Booked a cruise for next year last week.  Since there was a 10 day look back period in which I can cancel the policy, I went ahead and accepted  the insurance. Once I finally received the terms on the policy (4 days later), There appeared to be a couple of things different about it than what I was told by the travel agent. Therefore I tried to reach the company via the phone numbers presented in the email I received from them to gat some clarity on the coverage. Tried about half of the options on their recording to get to a human being. I have tried every option on their recording from purchasing a new policy to asking for explanation of a it’s benefits, to canceling  a policy to filing a claim, etc.  I understand that perhaps Covid issues have something to do with this. Just the same I’m not willing to deal with such poor customer service. They did not even have an option to pick indicating they would call me back within a certain amount of time - or at all! when I purchased this insurance I was told that the company was actually CSA but is now called Generali.  At this point I’m pretty sure I’m going to cancel the policy. I can always find other coverage. I’m wondering if anyone has had issues because I would hate to be in a situation right now where I truly needed to reach someone at the company regarding

an emergency issue. It says in the information they sent me that you must CALL to cancel a policy within 10 days. What if you can’t reach them? This is a minor thing at this point but what if it were a major thing?  Right now I’m really thinking I will have to cancel the insurance. I plan to contact my booking agent this afternoon once I know he is in the office. 

is anyone else out there who has just very recently booked a cruise and who has needed to contact their insurance company had issues reaching them? With this  or any other cruise Insurance company. Thank you for any helpful feedback.

I’ve been trying to transfer my cruise insurance from 2021 to the same cruise in 2022.  The customer service reps could not help me.  I spoke to someone in late March after several attempts and asking for a supervisor.  The supervisor (who I never spoke to) had a rep call me and that rep gave me a new policy # and told me I would get a refund of appx $300 to my cc.  On March 26th I received a credit of appx $100 to my cc.  (10% of the cost of my original policy.). I cannot access the new policy # online and after punching several customer service #’s options have gotten to two CS reps who have told me their computer systems are down.  Upon questioning I was told they have been down for two weeks.  Now it must be three weeks.  Two reps have told me they will e-mail me a copy of the new policy.  I have not received anything.  So, like you I supposedly have a policy.  I have not seen it.   

I’ve considered contacting the insurance commissioners office for my state.  This is a local California company.  Their reps are working from home.  What a mess.

I’ll just buy the cruise line insurance next time.  At least if the cruise is cancelled I’ll get the premium back!

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

I’ve been trying to transfer my cruise insurance from 2021 to the same cruise in 2022.  The customer service reps could not help me.  I spoke to someone in late March after several attempts and asking for a supervisor.  The supervisor (who I never spoke to) had a rep call me and that rep gave me a new policy # and told me I would get a refund of appx $300 to my cc.  On March 26th I received a credit of appx $100 to my cc.  (10% of the cost of my original policy.). I cannot access the new policy # online and after punching several customer service #’s options have gotten to two CS reps who have told me their computer systems are down.  Upon questioning I was told they have been down for two weeks.  Now it must be three weeks.  Two reps have told me they will e-mail me a copy of the new policy.  I have not received anything.  So, like you I supposedly have a policy.  I have not seen it.   

I’ve considered contacting the insurance commissioners office for my state.  This is a local California company.  Their reps are working from home.  What a mess.

I’ll just buy the cruise line insurance next time.  At least if the cruise is cancelled I’ll get the premium back!

Hi oaktreerb,

If you want, I might be able to help you get your policy transferred to your new trip.

If so, email me your name, phone number, policy number, old and new travel dates. My email is steve@tripinsurancestore.com

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1

oaktreerb, I applaud your patience. I would be fuming by now. I definitely think you should contact the insurance commissioner.(I wants had to do that for my mom in Florida over an issue. Void that start the wheels cranking fast! Wasn’t the same kind of insurance, but still…) from what you have said however I wouldn’t be surprised if someone else has reported them. One thing that I have read over many years on Cruise critic was never to buy cruise insurance that is sold or backed by the cruise line itself. I’m sure you’ve probably heard this but the reason is in case the line goes bankrupt, they can’t pay you! I think it happened with a couple of lines back when the 9/11 disaster occurred. However, perhaps that is not what you meant by buying the cruise line insurance. I certainly wish you luck in getting all of this straightened out quickly and hope you are able to go on your cruise with no mishaps. Especially because it makes you wonder just how much protection you could get in short order if it is this difficult to talk to the right person at the insurance company. My TA took care of canceling the insurance for me and I did not have to officially write a letter or send an email to the company. These companies taught how they are there to assist you in various areas if you need help or reservations in route. Good grief, had I been on a trip and had an actual emergency, none of the usual ways to contact the insurance company would have worked!

15 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

oaktreerb, I applaud your patience. I would be fuming by now. I definitely think you should contact the insurance commissioner.(I wants had to do that for my mom in Florida over an issue. Void that start the wheels cranking fast! Wasn’t the same kind of insurance, but still…) from what you have said however I wouldn’t be surprised if someone else has reported them. One thing that I have read over many years on Cruise critic was never to buy cruise insurance that is sold or backed by the cruise line itself. I’m sure you’ve probably heard this but the reason is in case the line goes bankrupt, they can’t pay you! I think it happened with a couple of lines back when the 9/11 disaster occurred. However, perhaps that is not what you meant by buying the cruise line insurance. I certainly wish you luck in getting all of this straightened out quickly and hope you are able to go on your cruise with no mishaps. Especially because it makes you wonder just how much protection you could get in short order if it is this difficult to talk to the right person at the insurance company. My TA took care of canceling the insurance for me and I did not have to officially write a letter or send an email to the company. These companies taught how they are there to assist you in various areas if you need help or reservations in route. Good grief, had I been on a trip and had an actual emergency, none of the usual ways to contact the insurance company would have worked!

I also e-mailed Steve in the post above maybe he can help.  I'm glad your TA was able to cancel the insurance for you.  Enjoy your next cruise!