Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

4 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

This, and several other articles, indicate that ID Now is a pcr test:

https://www.medicaldevice-network.com/comment/questions-raised-abbott-id-now-covid-19-test/

And here’s one that indicates ID Now is not a pcr test:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/14/travel/international-travel-covid-test.html

Viking, HELP!!!

2 hours ago, JM0115 said:

I know there has been a lot on this subject already but FYI - I contacted Bermuda Coronavirus Dept and asked them if we had to have the test 7 days, 5 days, or 3 days before arrival and they just responded to me:

Good day,

Starting from June 6th we require that you take a test no more than 3 days from your arrival. 

COVID-19 Response Team

Government of Bermuda | Department of Health

Continental Building | 25 Church Street | Hamilton, Bermuda HM 12

P.O. Box HM 1195 l Hamilton, Bermuda HM EX 

Direct Telephone: 441 444 2498 | Email: coronavirus@gov.bm 

I also was contacted by tellus@viking.com after I sent them an email and they told me that they are working with Bermuda authorities and understand the issue.  They expect to have answers by the middle of May.  I am going to stay optimistic that this will change...

So it's 3 days and not 72 hours....

47 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

Added:

The link you posted actually confirms what I said earlier.

ID NOW uses isothermal technology

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There's nothing in that link that says ID NOW is PCR.  Did you follow the link I provided?  It's an exhaustive list of every COVID test on the market and classifies what type of test each is.  You're welcome to explain to Bermudian immigration that ID NOW is a PCR test should they question you upon arrival.   I'll be taking a test that's unambiguously a PCR test. 

Edited by B_A_H

1 hour ago, B_A_H said:

Added:

The link you posted actually confirms what I said earlier.

ID NOW uses isothermal technology

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There's nothing in that link that says ID NOW is PCR.  Did you follow the link I provided?  It's an exhaustive list of every COVID test on the market and classifies what type of test each is.  You're welcome to explain to Bermudian immigration that ID NOW is a PCR test should they question you upon arrival.   I'll be taking a test that's unambiguously a PCR test. 

Not worth the argument dear.  I will use what I can get that is approved..

• Like 1

I'm not trying to argue.  But people with little knowledge of the field are posting declaratives that others may follow.  I think we can all agree there's ambiguity around ID NOW and with all the research I've done I've found nothing, including in Abbott's own materials, saying it's a PCR test. If it were, why would they hide it?

If acceptance of ID NOW was a sure thing I'd love nothing more than to hop over to Walgreens.  But personally I don't want to take the chance.  Like everyone else I e-mailed Bermuda and got the same answer about ID NOW - "sure, as long as it's a PCR test." 

I will wait  for mid May when Viking sends us an update intructions for our pre testing etc.

Meanwhile, I justl ooked and the July 20  cruise is sold out. And mine July 13-20 is almost sold out.

Also today I got another change in times for flights for July 13!

Check  your times your flight times daily !

It feels like old times ,2019! 

• Like 2

That's what I have been trying to find out, just what happens when the inevitable positive shows up.  So far no cruise line is being specific about that.  You know covid will show up somewhere.  Will they quarantine and treat the positives and go on or will they do a turn around and immediately turn back and disembark passengers to whatever arbitrary rules (and expenses) are in place at the port of disembarkation.  Not to mention short notice flights home.  Who pays?  That's what I want to see spelled out with as much enthusiasm as the testing rules.  

3 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

That's what I have been trying to find out, just what happens when the inevitable positive shows up.  So far no cruise line is being specific about that.  You know covid will show up somewhere.  Will they quarantine and treat the positives and go on or will they do a turn around and immediately turn back and disembark passengers to whatever arbitrary rules (and expenses) are in place at the port of disembarkation.  Not to mention short notice flights home.  Who pays?  That's what I want to see spelled out with as much enthusiasm as the testing rules.  

When I was peeking into the Royal Caribbean roll calls, I saw a link to RCI's guarantee.  Is there anything like this with Viking?  I know we're entitled to a refund if anyone in our party tests positive before embarking, but not sure about the rest.

715209286_ScreenShot2021-04-27at4_20_11PM.thumb.png.016a51fd85bf4b240303c465e13cc144.png

Edited by amyr

4 minutes ago, amyr said:

When I was peeking into the Royal Caribbean roll calls, I saw a link to RCI's guarantee.  Is there anything like this with Viking?  I know we're entitled to a refund if anyone in our party tests positive before embarking, but not sure about the rest.

715209286_ScreenShot2021-04-27at4_20_11PM.thumb.png.016a51fd85bf4b240303c465e13cc144.png

Viking sold me their trip insurance with similar promises, on the phone...  I have not yet read the fine print 😞

But we chose Bermuda for its relative proximity to the US.  Keep in mind most medivac insurance will only transport you to the US with covid as a hospital to hospital transfer.  I believe this is due to a US law.  If you get covid and do not need to be in the hospital you get to enjoy a hotel room on Bermuda for 14 days.  And you may not be able to choose the room...  The Bermuda website mentions your hotel will provide a quarantine room.  Something tells me this will not be a prime beachfront bungalow.

California now has vaccines freely available for anyone over 16.  CVS, Albertsons, etc. are showing hundreds of appointments available over the next week, just in our little area.  And the county government just published this:

To make COVID-19 vaccination as convenient for our community as possible, the OC Health Care Agency will welcome walk-ins as well as those with confirmed appointments at our Super Point-of-Dispensing (POD) sites on Saturday, May 1 and Sunday, May 2nd.”

So hopefully covid will be over in California very soon.  Maybe we can help out Mexico and the Caribbean with our surplus doses.

3 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

California now has vaccines freely available for anyone over 16.  CVS, Albertsons, etc. are showing hundreds of appointments available over the next week, just in our little area.  And the county government just published this:

To make COVID-19 vaccination as convenient for our community as possible, the OC Health Care Agency will welcome walk-ins as well as those with confirmed appointments at our Super Point-of-Dispensing (POD) sites on Saturday, May 1 and Sunday, May 2nd.”

So hopefully covid will be over in California very soon.  Maybe we can help out Mexico and the Caribbean with our surplus doses.

Ragnar, are you still hanging in there?🙂

57 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

Ragnar, are you still hanging in there?🙂

Yes, have determined a way to thread the needle to get there.  I am, however, waiting for Viking to detail what will happen if anyone on-board tests positive at any point.  If we are at risk of 14 days in a crappy hotel room if a small number of cases found aboard, we are out.  With ~1,000 souls on a ship, flying in from all over the place, there are bound to be a few positives, even if no one feels sick.  Viking and Bermuda need to figure out how to handle that without mass quarantines.  Unless, of course, “quarantine” means 14 sea days with run of the ship and open bar for all those testing negative 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Yes, have determined a way to thread the needle to get there.  I am, however, waiting for Viking to detail what will happen if anyone on-board tests positive at any point.  If we are at risk of 14 days in a crappy hotel room if a small number of cases found aboard, we are out.  

This is the one thing in 👋all this👋 that has us concerned.  My sister, whom I'm traveling with, is still employed, and she's very very nervous about getting stuck somewhere.  She will not be able to get away with being gone from work for a potential 21 days.

14 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Yes, have determined a way to thread the needle to get there.

Unless, of course, “quarantine” means 14 sea days with run of the ship and open bar for all those testing negative 🙂

RD, please share your needle-threading scenario. As of today with the timing rules and limited test options, I am unable to see any successful path forward for DW and myself, at least from Reno.

However, if we do make it aboard and there is a "problem", I like your option!

Edited by What was that?
Added comment

2 minutes ago, What was that? said:

RD, please share your needle-threading scenario. As of today with the timing rules and limited test options, I am unable to see any successful path forward for DW and myself, at least from Reno.

Unless things get better, I think we will have to cancel - I am betting that there will be a lot of cancellations around 16 days from embarkation under the risk free guarantee. For now, we are still hopeful that Viking will deliver!  Viking has suggested to me to be patient until the week of May 10 which is when they expect to have answers.

3 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

Unless things get better, I think we will have to cancel - I am betting that there will be a lot of cancellations around 16 days from embarkation under the risk free guarantee. For now, we are still hopeful that Viking will deliver!  Viking has suggested to me to be patient until the week of May 10 which is when they expect to have answers.

I hear you, Jim. For now I am remaining confident that Viking and the Bermuda Government will agree a plan that works for cruisers. My confidence is based on my belief that they absolutely must - if they don't, both Viking and Bermuda get a permanent black eye. Think about it: Viking and Bermuda agreed to the cruises in the first place - imagine the extensive negotiations that occurred before the cruises were announced. Then Bermuda changed the rules - maybe not at the eleventh hour, but at least the tenth hour.

• Like 2