Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

On 5/2/2021 at 10:45 AM, What was that? said:

For those (like me) who hold out hope that Bermuda will accept results of the Abbott "ID NOW" Covid test, I will report my results of that test when I received it Wednesday or Thursday. Hawaii will accept this test for entry. We are traveling to Maui on Saturday and should have no problem meeting their three-day-in-advance testing timeline, with subsequent submission of the results.

Stay tuned...

Having sobered up from deliriously celebrating our NEGATIVE "ID NOW" Covid-19 test yesterday at Walgreens - WARNING: this test is NOT currently accepted by Bermuda - I am sharing what the results look like, for those who are interested. I only included the test result section, and omitted the identification and administrivia portion.

We took this test for our trip to Hawaii on Saturday, within the required 72 hours of our departure, received the results in less than 1.5 hours, and uploaded it to the proper Hawaii website which accepted it.

Hopefully, Bermuda will see the this as an acceptable test, in addition to the PCR test currently required - which I don't think we can have done and still make the trip. In truth, it is somewhat less sensitive/reliable than a PCR test, but for vaccinated travelers it should be sufficient.

Screenshot 2021-05-06 063530.jpg

This morning, Viking announced a whole series of new Welcome Back Controlled Cruises.  Mostly Malta to Malta in the Agean and Adriatic seas - all the way through to October.  They also have added additional Bermuda Cruises.

Torstein stated that there will be additional special Welcome Back cruises rolling out.  One could read between the lines and figure that this will be their strategy for the rest of 2021 - to get money flowing in, get cruises going in and out of "controlled ports" and more.  Couple this with the fact that the Scandinavia / Northern Europe cruises have been cancelled for the time being, perhaps additional ships will be deployed to the Med and Malta will become sort of a home port to Viking (like Israel is to other lines).   This keeps the crews (and cash flow) going.

The new Bermuda cruises added were July 27 and August 3.

Additional 2021 Voyages Coming Soon

We are also actively planning more Welcome Back voyages in other popular destinations, with the goal of announcing additional 2021 itineraries soon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, What was that? said:

Having sobered up from deliriously celebrating our NEGATIVE "ID NOW" Covid-19 test yesterday at Walgreens - WARNING: this test is NOT currently accepted by Bermuda - I am sharing what the results look like, for those who are interested. I only included the test result section, and omitted the identification and administrivia portion.

We took this test for our trip to Hawaii on Saturday, within the required 72 hours of our departure, received the results in less than 1.5 hours, and uploaded it to the proper Hawaii website which accepted it.

Hopefully, Bermuda will see the this as an acceptable test, in addition to the PCR test currently required - which I don't think we can have done and still make the trip. In truth, it is somewhat less sensitive/reliable than a PCR test, but for vaccinated travelers it should be sufficient.

Screenshot 2021-05-06 063530.jpg

Was this refused by Bermuda?  I have heard that others have gotten it ok'd when they applied for ther travel visa

9 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

Was this refused by Bermuda?  I have heard that others have gotten it ok'd when they applied for ther travel visa

The NAAT test type is specifically called out by Bermuda as not acceptable, and this test report clearly states that it is a NAAT test, so I would therefore expect it NOT to be accepted by Bermuda, although I did not submit it to them - I only submitted it to Hawaii which is where we are headed on Saturday.

This update was only to confirm what the Walgreens ID NOW test report contains. In my mind (not being a medical guy) I thought it might also say something about a PCR test: it does not.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, What was that? said:

The NAAT test type is specifically called out by Bermuda as not acceptable, and this test report clearly states that it is a NAAT test, so I would therefore expect it NOT to be accepted by Bermuda, although I did not submit it to them - I only submitted it to Hawaii which is where we are headed on Saturday.

This update was only to confirm what the Walgreens ID NOW test report contains. In my mind (not being a medical guy) I thought it might also say something about a PCR test: it does not.

Intersting because all I can find is that it can't be an antigen or antibody test.  A NAAT test is neither of those.  It does say it must be a PCR test tho.  I think I'm going to have to call Bermuda.

Pre-vetted Travel Authorisation

Travel Authorisations will need to be purchased between 1 to 3 days before travel. This is to allow the pre-arrival test uploaded to be reviewed and approved as part of the application.

A valid pre-arrival test result must meet the following standards:

• Display travellers’ full name and date of birth
  • Date of Test must be no more than 5 days of arrival. The day of the test, is day 0. (For example, a pre-arrival COVID-19 PCR test taken on 4th December is valid for arrival on 9th December). 
  • Test result must be negative
  • Test type must be a PCR test. Note: The COVID-19 PCR test cannot be an antigen or antibody test. It must be a PCR test.
  • Test must be performed by an accredited laboratory
  • Display full name of laboratory and contact information for laboratory
Edited by bafinegan
clarification

That's a good point. I know I have seen the prohibition on the Abbott ID NOW test on a Bermuda website (I'm desperately searching now...).

In the meantime, here is information from the CDC, which seems to say that a PCR (RT-PCR) test is one type of NAAT, while there are a number of non-PCR tests (in my mind not acceptable to Bermuda) of the "isothermal" sort, of which I believe the Abbott ID NOW is one. I will continue looking, but here is the CDC info:

NAATs can use many different methods to amplify nucleic acids and detect the virus, including but not limited to:

·        Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)

·        Isothermal amplification including:

o   Nicking endonuclease amplification reaction (NEAR)

o   Transcription mediated amplification (TMA)

o   Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)

o   Helicase-dependent amplification (HDA)

o   Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

o   Strand displacement amplification (SDA)

From https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/naats.html

Edited by What was that?
Correct spelling

One more thing, on 29 April I sent this inquiry to Bermuda:

"Is the Abbott ID NOW Covid-19 test, such as performed at a Walgreens pharmacy in the US, accepted by the Government of Bermuda for entry into Bermuda?"

The reply later that same day was:

"Good day, We only accept the PCR Abbott ID NOW test. Please confirm with your local Walgreens that it is a PCR test."

I don't know how to interpret that

And I just found this from Abbott: "ID NOW COVID-19 assay performed on the ID NOW Instrument is a rapid molecular in vitro diagnostic test utilizing an isothermal nucleic acid amplification technology" - apparently NOT a PCR type of NAAT.

24 minutes ago, What was that? said:

That's a good point. I know I have seen the prohibition on the Abbott ID NOW test on a Bermuda website (I'm desperately searching now...).

In the meantime, here is information from the CDC, which seems to say that a PCR (RT-PCR) test is one type of NAAT, while there are a number of non-PCR tests (in my mind not acceptable to Bermuda) of the "isothermal" sort, of which I believe the Abbott ID NOW is one. I will continue looking, but here is the CDC info:

NAATs can use many different methods to amplify nucleic acids and detect the virus, including but not limited to:

·        Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)

·        Isothermal amplification including:

o   Nicking endonuclease amplification reaction (NEAR)

o   Transcription mediated amplification (TMA)

o   Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)

o   Helicase-dependent amplification (HDA)

o   Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

o   Strand displacement amplification (SDA)

From https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/naats.html

Yea I know all that ( i am a nurse and have an extensive background in immunology).  I'm just trying to find out what Bermuda will accept.

I just got off the line with the covid hotline in Bermuda and a very nice lady was very helpful.  It's 3 DAYS ( not 72 hours)  which means you can get the test on Sat morning and still be within the timeframe.

I specifically asked about the ID NOW test.  SHe checked and came back saying that not all the NAAT tests were acceptable, but the ID NOW test was.  

I'm thinking I will call back about a week before we leave ( just to be sure) and also hope VIking gives out more detailed instructions.   ( I need a beer...)

Here is the number to the Bermuda COVID hotline  441-444-2498

Edited by bafinegan
clarification

1 hour ago, bafinegan said:

Yea I know all that ( i am a nurse and have an extensive background in immunology).  I'm just trying to find out what Bermuda will accept.

I just got off the line with the covid hotline in Bermuda and a very nice lady was very helpful.  It's 3 DAYS ( not 72 hours)  which means you can get the test on Sat morning and still be within the timeframe.

I specifically asked about the ID NOW test.  SHe checked and came back saying that not all the NAAT tests were acceptable, but the ID NOW test was.  

I'm thinking I will call back about a week before we leave ( just to be sure) and also hope VIking gives out more detailed instructions.   ( I need a beer...)

Here is the number to the Bermuda COVID hotline  441-444-2498

Thank you for your research!

What a mess - I still think at least half the passengers to Bermuda will not wind up being able to get the tests in time, the way things stand now.  I am hoping Viking realizes this and figures out a way to CLEARLY communicate all the various nuances to people - else the ships will really be empty!

I know that from the West Coast we may have to cancel just because you can't guarantee all the parts coming together in the limited time frame and we wouldn't want to risk someone else screwing it up for us and then miss the ship.

• Like 1

We have decided to cancel Bermuda due to all the protocols but I am sure that they will be worked out. I hope you all have a great cruise!

we booked the Malta Croatia cruise in September instead! 

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Thank you for your research!

What a mess - I still think at least half the passengers to Bermuda will not wind up being able to get the tests in time, the way things stand now.  I am hoping Viking realizes this and figures out a way to CLEARLY communicate all the various nuances to people - else the ships will really be empty!

I know that from the West Coast we may have to cancel just because you can't guarantee all the parts coming together in the limited time frame and we wouldn't want to risk someone else screwing it up for us and then miss the ship.

We're coming from Ga so at least we have a little extra time.  The tourism dept is also promoting pre/post hotel packages, but not sure I want to navigate the hot mess of transportation.  Still waiting to see what Viking puts out.  Luckily our cruise isn't until mid July.  Hopefully things will be worked out by then.

I did speak with a supervisor today and she stated  that Viking will be coming out three weeks before the cruise rules and regulations to enter/exit Bermuda.

Passengers will have temps taken several times while on the ship and state of the art labs have been installed.

According to her, travel information will be simplified and streamlined. Situation evolves on a daily basis and is presently quite confusing.

Viking I am certain is extremely anxious to commence cruising , as we all are, and would smooth out all this red tape and confusion before its inaugural sailing. Uncertain if capacity will be 100%, even though website shows most categories are sold out.

Let’s hope for the best!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JM0115 said:

We have decided to cancel Bermuda due to all the protocols but I am sure that they will be worked out. I hope you all have a great cruise!

we booked the Malta Croatia cruise in September instead! 

We are considering doing the same thing.  (Malta-Croatia).

May possibly join you.  Which one did you book?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CCWineLover said:

We are considering doing the same thing.  (Malta-Croatia).

May possibly join you.  Which one did you book?

September 22, 2021 - please join us!

2 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Stempy, it may be just us partying in your owner’s suite at this rate...

PS - my preferred tipple is Dom.  Whatever vintage they have aboard will do.  And a bit of Caspian sea caviar (farm-raised, of course) would be nice too.

Have a wonderful trip!

Croatia is beautiful and full of history.

visited with Seabourn.

Wow! Will have to check out Mr. Hagen’s champagne vault.

Unsure of assuring Caspian Sea caviar...may have to substitute squirt cheese on a bellini.

• Like 1

Trying to get my mind off the pre-covid test requirement mess got me thinking, has anyone heard how Viking will do the muster drill?  Video in cabin then go to your muster station to get "checked off" maybe?