Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

Just back from July 3 sailing. Iceland was amazing and weather was fantastic, other than rain on final day (Westman Islands). 

I'd be happy to answer questions about our experience with Viking and Iceland. 

One tip: get on the Vigur Island tour if you can - by far the best tour all week (and puffins too!)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

Will there be someone on board who knows Iceland well with whom I can discuss independent options in port? It's nice to get some advice from someone familiar with how things actually work.

Thanks!

-- Ethan

I've never seen folks from local tourist offices come on the ship as they often do on Oceania.  But I don't know if the tourist folks who came on Oceania discussed actual independent tours IF that's mostly what you're asking about.  When I used them they mostly gave out maps, answered general questions about the city we were visiting, etc. - how to get around, landmarks or shopping areas, etc. But I always googled a lot before getting to each port, so I never really needed that. 

It's possible there will be someone at a couple of the ports to hand out info and brochures, but I haven't really heard of that in Iceland, so I don't know.  I suppose if you really want an authentic experience with the locals you could try stopping for a coffee or beer somewhere and see if there's someone there who's in the mood to chat!  And as for the basics of what's in the port/area, I would hope that Viking excursion folks have gotten the opportunity to explore a bit locally or at least researched a little.  If not, you can use the free wifi and computers on deck 1 for a start.  In general, I've found Viking Ocean excursion folks to be pretty knowledgeable about general things like where the closest supermarket is, or Wifi, or taxis. 

7 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

Just back from July 3 sailing. Iceland was amazing and weather was fantastic, other than rain on final day (Westman Islands). 

One tip: get on the Vigur Island tour if you can - by far the best tour all week (and puffins too!)

If you did the following (mostly optional) excursions, I'd love a tiny bit of information about them (liked? disliked? where you went? doesn't have to be a whole review!):

-Icelandic Life at Litlibaer Turf Farm from Isafjordur

-Waterfall of the Gods & Icelandic Farm Life from Akureyri

-Panoramic Scenic Drive & Wartime Museum from Seydisfjordur

-Nature of Djupivogur & Berufjordur Fjord

-Either included tour in Heimaey, plus the extension to Eldfell Mountain

-ATV in Heimaey

And did you run across any places where someone was either offering an independent tour, or tourist info person who handed out maps or brochures?

And what are people wearing on board the ship - more summery clothing or wintery?

Thanks!!

7 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

Can and how can we get to the volcano... assume it has to be done on day 1?

1 hour ago, Porcupine 52 said:

I have been reading that the volcano action has been decreasing. We leave Thursday for next week's Viking Sky cruise so will know more then. Depending on the runway that the arriving plane takes, it may be seen while landing. It was seen from the air by earlier arriving tourists.

Here is a video of a young couple that visited last month. Once at the parking area, it is at least an hour walk in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i50UQURh-SQ&t=23s

Jack

14 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

Will there be someone on board who knows Iceland well with whom I can discuss independent options in port? It's nice to get some advice from someone familiar with how things actually work.

Thanks!

-- Ethan

Ethan - I'll suggest that it is unlikely Viking will permit local sales agents to board the ship to sell independent tour options, as those would compete with the optional tours. Accepting a previous reply that Oceania does, I've not seen this on any ship.

At least Vking provides a complimentary shuttle into town in most ports, which often is close to the local tourist office.

Just signed on to the Aug 28 cruise and I have a couple questions.  I have heard that the only excursions allowed are the ones from the ship - is that true?  I can't find it in writing anywhere.  Since I'm a bit late signing on for the cruise most of their excursions are sold out already.  I know that they will probably add some others - but on past cruises if I didn't see anything I likes I just booked something locally.  

4 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Azamara also have representatives of the local tourist office onboard.  Very helpful.  I have been on Viking 3 times but cannot recall them doing the same.  Rather a pity. 

Just my opinion, but I think Viking has fewer independent cruisers who are looking for their own excursions than Oceania does. (I don't know about Azamara.) Viking offers a complimentary excursion in almost every port, and their excursions are less expensive and more reliable (in terms of not being canceled due to low signup!), so I think there are fewer people looking for other touring options.  

I always find that with any cruise line, it's best to do your own research beforehand, assuming you have  time and inclination to do that.  And if you're looking for independent touring options, the Cruise Critic Roll Calls are a good place to start - although with Covid era cruises, you probably won't find nearly as many people posting about independent tours as usual.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, map70065 said:

Just signed on to the Aug 28 cruise and I have a couple questions.  I have heard that the only excursions allowed are the ones from the ship - is that true?  I can't find it in writing anywhere.  Since I'm a bit late signing on for the cruise most of their excursions are sold out already.  I know that they will probably add some others - but on past cruises if I didn't see anything I likes I just booked something locally.  

I don't think the current policy is in writing on their website, but they and Iceland have been allowing people to tour independently.  Viking has been sending out emails, perhaps timed to your cruise date, indicating they expect this will be allowed when you cruise.   However, they caution that things can change due to the fluid situation with Covid.  I would expect things to get better rather than worse before Aug 28, but if I were in your situation, I'd probably do some research and be prepared for the possibility of not getting the excursions that appeal to you now.  But I'd keep an open mind, as some people have written about taking an alternate Viking excursion and loving it.  I would not normally take a RIB boat, but I've seen comments that people loved it when they didn't expect to love it.  Vigur Island is very popular, but 1) puffins may have left by Aug 28 and 2) If still around, they can be seen on Footsteps of the Elves, assuming you are up for a bit of walking up a good number of steps to view them.  I think people will change their plans; the feeding frenzy will calm down.  

You may already know this, but in case you don't:

If you do book something outside of Viking tours, check the cancelation policy.  Allow plenty of time for tendering in Heimaey (especially), Djupivogur, and (often but not always) Seydisfjordur.  Heimaey offers the best choice of independent excursions based on what I've seen. Join your Roll Call on Cruise Critic and ask others if they've found anything good.  Consider the possibility that not all people on independent excursions will be vaccinated or willing to mask up/distance, and while Icelanders are vaccinated in high numbers, and visitors are supposed to be, there's still some risk involved in spending a day in a coach or boat with a group of people you don't know.   

My flight lands at 06:30. Does anyone know if we take a transfer to the ship from the airport if we will be be able to drop off our luggage early and take the viking shuttle back into town? Is the shuttle running during the check out/check in process? Check in does not start until 11:00 so we'd be a couple of hours early.

3 minutes ago, AKexplorer said:

My flight lands at 06:30. Does anyone know if we take a transfer to the ship from the airport if we will be be able to drop off our luggage early and take the viking shuttle back into town? Is the shuttle running during the check out/check in process? Check in does not start until 11:00 so we'd be a couple of hours early.

My understanding is those who arrive before 8 am and have the Viking transfer will be taken to the Harpa Concert hall.  They take your luggage, you get your room card and they serve a breakfast.  You can either relax there until the same bus transfers you to the ship at 11 am OR you can explore town and take the town shuttle back to the ship.  Shuttle runs 1 - 9 pm.  People report rooms are ready at 12:30 ish.

• Like 2

Unfortunately we are not doing the viking transfer. I am just weighing options of booking an early private tour to a place like the Blue or Sky Lagoon versus dropping or bags at the ship and then exploring on our own with a city day pass for the museums and such. If we can't hand off our luggage then that limits our options somewhat. I believe there may be lockers for storing luggage at the bus station but adding in those costs just make a private tour more cost effective when including the convenience factor.

16 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

If you did the following (mostly optional) excursions, I'd love a tiny bit of information about them (liked? disliked? where you went? doesn't have to be a whole review!):

-ATV in Heimaey

And did you run across any places where someone was either offering an independent tour, or tourist info person who handed out maps or brochures?

And what are people wearing on board the ship - more summery clothing or wintery?

Thanks!!

OK, not great. Nice scenery though.

This was basically a bus ride to see a nice waterfall with a stop at a farm "resort" in the mountains. NOT worth the $.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

OK, not great. Nice scenery though.

This was basically a bus ride to see a nice waterfall with a stop at a farm "resort" in the mountains. NOT worth the $.

Absolutely agree!  This was a total waste of time and money.

Is anyone familiar with Arctic Shorex?  They are offering the Elves/Puffin tour at half the cost of Viking (minus the lunch) and they are offering Dynjandi, which Viking is sold out completely (and half the cost of Viking, too).  I contacted them and was told they tailored the tours for our ship and our ship will be the only ship in port.  Seems almost to be too good, which is causing me to hesitate in canceling the Elves Viking trip and rebooking everything with Artic Shorex.  (This is for the July 27  Viking Jupiter itinerary)

5 minutes ago, gskimmel said:

familiar with Arctic Shorex

We are doing the Dynjandi tour with them in Isofjordur for the July 13th cruise.  Will try to get on here and review.  We also hired them for a private tour with 2 other 2somes for Seydisfjordur.  
FoggyEthan arranged these tours so watch his posts also!  Mehroswitha is the other 2some.

Edited by minka34
adding info
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Appreciate the report. Just cancelled and saved $200 bucks. 

Worse things can happen than just wandering through town or spending the afternoon relaxing on board.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, oldgeez said:

Appreciate the report. Just cancelled and saved $200 bucks. 

Worse things can happen than just wandering through town or spending the afternoon relaxing on board.

Daughter walked the 6 miles to the black sand beach and back on her own with no excursion. Unimpressive scenery along an airport runway along the way.
Included in Djup has a couple interesting stops. My guide was from NYC and below par. I left the group and finished on my own to avoid a massive influx of Russian bus visitors to the Eggs. Loved the old water tower inside with arias sung in the dark amid candles.

2 hours ago, AKexplorer said:

Unfortunately we are not doing the viking transfer. I am just weighing options of booking an early private tour to a place like the Blue or Sky Lagoon versus dropping or bags at the ship and then exploring on our own with a city day pass for the museums and such. If we can't hand off our luggage then that limits our options somewhat. I believe there may be lockers for storing luggage at the bus station but adding in those costs just make a private tour more cost effective when including the convenience factor.

We are flying in the day before and are going to Sky Lagoon.  It is brand new and from what I hear, the locals love the place.

10 hours ago, map70065 said:

Just got home from the July 3rd sailing and I booked a whale watching excursion in Akureyri before I left home. So yes, you can do your own thing. 😃 We opted for the Express whale watching tour and it was amazing! It ended up costing $322 for 2 people and it's about a 7 minute walk from the pier where we were docked. We saw dolphins, porpoise, seals and a puffin.

Be sure and get up at 4:30am in the morning to see whales form your balcony as you arrive into Akureyri. We were so lucky to see one as it swam right along the ship starboard side. Talk about right place right time! 

Edited by FLORIDA FLOUNDER
correction
  • Like 6

17 hours ago, Porcupine 52 said:

I didn't do this myself, but we drove by there on our Reykjanes Peninsula tour on Sunday and saw a lot of vehicles parked and people walking to the volcano. I would book an independent tour from an Icelandic company if you wish to do this (spoke to another passenger who had done this pre-cruise). 

1 hour ago, gskimmel said:

Is anyone familiar with Arctic Shorex?  They are offering the Elves/Puffin tour at half the cost of Viking (minus the lunch) and they are offering Dynjandi, which Viking is sold out completely (and half the cost of Viking, too).  I contacted them and was told they tailored the tours for our ship and our ship will be the only ship in port.  Seems almost to be too good, which is causing me to hesitate in canceling the Elves Viking trip and rebooking everything with Artic Shorex.  (This is for the July 27  Viking Jupiter itinerary)

Don't be put off by pricing. I think Viking has a very big markup on many of their tours.

18 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

-ATV in Heimaey

And did you run across any places where someone was either offering an independent tour, or tourist info person who handed out maps or brochures?

Thanks!!

We didn't do any of those tours: for optional tours we did Reykjanes Peninsula (overpriced and too much bus time); Vigur Island (amazing); N. Iceland's Natural Treasures (vg); Heimaey by boat (ok but weather was poor). We enjoyed hiking walking around Seydisfordjur & Djupivurgur on our own - great scenery and cute towns. DH commented it was like being in a postcard!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1