Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

9 hours ago, Envelope21 said:

Really? My cruise docs say it is a tender port. I hope you are right! Thanks!

That's not unusual.  Port makes assignments.  Viking makes up itineraries long before that, so they have to do their best with the info they have on hand.  Lots of ships have to tender due to size, but not all of them.  I haven't looked at port website/schedule yet, but I bet Heartgrove is right about your cruise.  But of course things can always change, even at the last minute.  

July 21 Seydisfjordur visit: Decided to look it up.  Port has you down for the dock.  See Port of Seyðisfjörður - Cruise Ships (seydisfjordurport.is)

What's weird is that Viking Star is showing up the same week as being in Iceland.  But perhaps that's where she was scheduled to be originally and the port hasn't taken her off yet?  Don't know. 

In any case, those traveling to Seydisfjordur on Viking appear to be getting to dock there.  Those cruise ships coming on a day when the Smyril Norrona ferry comes will likely tender.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 1

We’re on the August 24 sailing. This is our first trip to Iceland and we rarely go back to places. 
We signed up for the golden circle tour. We’d appreciate some feedback. How much time are we going to be on the bus? What’s the longest segment? Does the guide talk for much of the ride? How many are on the busses now? How much time is spent at the various sights? Is there interesting stuff to see from the bus? We’ve been to Yellowstone, Niagara Falls, Craters of the Moon and the lava fields in Oregon. 

2 hours ago, dcl999 said:

We’re on the August 24 sailing. This is our first trip to Iceland and we rarely go back to places. 
We signed up for the golden circle tour. We’d appreciate some feedback. How much time are we going to be on the bus? What’s the longest segment? Does the guide talk for much of the ride? How many are on the busses now? How much time is spent at the various sights? Is there interesting stuff to see from the bus? We’ve been to Yellowstone, Niagara Falls, Craters of the Moon and the lava fields in Oregon. 

3 july cruise. Lots of time on bus. Excellent guide (school teacher) provided informative & entertaining commentary throughout without being obnoxiously chatty in our opinion). Multiple busses; our bus was maybe 2/3rds full. Sufficient time at each site. Lots of bathroom opportunities.

Interesting scenery from bus unless you hate volcanic landscapes.
Most scenic long bus ride was the all day Northern Iceland's Natural Treasures tour from Akureyri.

• Like 3

On 7/13/2021 at 5:30 AM, BQEC said:

day 6 ice lagoon by zodiac …can anyone who has taken this excursion comment on if they stop by Diamond Beach? I do not see it listed in the description anywhere but I am very surprised if they do not stop… It’s right there by the lagoon. thanks! 

14 hours ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

We did the ice lagoon by zodiac on the July 3rd sailing and we did stop at Diamond Beach but only for 15 minutes.

And I spent the whole time looking at the lagoon on the other side of the bridge. Our guide did not make it clear that we were at Diamond Beach. 🙃 At least not that I heard.

Now that we are home, I am slowly but surely getting things organized. One thing that I did was to upload the Viking Dailies from the July 3 sailing to Google Drive.  They are available here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19b7WwaGKk36duIse2XO5jmbcaOTNt0M0?usp=sharing

Let me know if there is a problem with the link please.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, esther e said:

Great photos!!!  Were any of the waterfall tours less stressful than others?  By that I mean, was walking more difficult on some?  Thanks.

You capture really wonderful photos and memories!  Were those by a phone, a camera or a combo of both?

1 hour ago, philw1776 said:

Finally got my 3 July cruise pics processed. Great cruise! Would go again!
Click to view album via FLICKR.

Iceland

i  don't use FLICKR - how do find your album?  We are arriving in Iceland on Tuesday.

2 minutes ago, cfgrandma said:

i  don't use FLICKR - how do find your album?  We are arriving in Iceland on Tuesday.

Click on the photo of the Viking Daily - that will take you to the Flickr album.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jtwind said:

Just found this: https://www.icelandreview.com/society/covid-19-in-iceland-uptick-in-infections-marks-a-new-chapter-in-the-fight/

Authorities in Iceland met to discuss the recent increase in cases, including the appearance of delta.  Preboarding and/or arrival tests could be back soon.

Interesting. Someone on the July 11 Sea Malta/Greece itinerary reports that on walking tours in Greece they are not allowed to go in shops or order in a cafe, though other cruise pax from other lines are allowed to.

I am wondering what will happen if any cases pop up on those itineraries.

It seems Iceland, going forward, will recognize that Viking has an excellent protocol for cases and will not shut down future itineraries over one case.

36 minutes ago, jtwind said:

Just found this: https://www.icelandreview.com/society/covid-19-in-iceland-uptick-in-infections-marks-a-new-chapter-in-the-fight/

Authorities in Iceland met to discuss the recent increase in cases, including the appearance of delta.  Preboarding and/or arrival tests could be back soon.

From Iceland Review-

"While authorities will review border measures, Þórólfur stated there is simply not enough manpower to test all arriving travellers since their numbers have increased."

87% vaccination rate in Iceland, 100% incoming tourists screened for vaccination status and none with severe symptoms.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

You capture really wonderful photos and memories!  Were those by a phone, a camera or a combo of both?

iPhone8+ I gave up lugging around camera gear a couple years ago.
Iceland makes the wonderful photos.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, esther e said:

Great photos!!!  Were any of the waterfall tours less stressful than others?  By that I mean, was walking more difficult on some?  Thanks.

Only Gullfoss had lots of stairs down to the closer overlooks but you could avoid them and look further away from above as where many of the photos were taken. So, no real stress on waterfall tours.
We LOVED Iceland's Natural Treasures tour out of Akureyri  but I would not recommend it to folks who find walking, climbing and steps a challenge. Folks with walking sticks or canes could do it.

I chose the Waterfalls of the Gods  tour because it was shorter, yet covered the waterfall.  As long as I can see waterfalls from below, I'm happy.  Florida is short on waterfalls.  LOL  I am bringing a rollator/walker type thing and hope I don't have problems using it on some tours.  My joints aren't what they used to be.