Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

2 hours ago, dcl999 said:

Is this also applicable to US travelers? I can’t find it on the my Viking website. 

Go to vikingcruises.com and find the Iceland cruises. Click on the “Resources” tab—you’ll see “itinerary” then “dates & pricing” then “resources”. Scroll down to pre-cruise requirements—the pdf is effective July 22 for all upcoming Iceland sailings (until things change again).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Go to vikingcruises.com and find the Iceland cruises. Click on the “Resources” tab—you’ll see “itinerary” then “dates & pricing” then “resources”. Scroll down to pre-cruise requirements—the pdf is effective July 22 for all upcoming Iceland sailings (until things change again).

Thanks. The earlier post was a link to Viking pre cruise requirement for a PCR test. Following these instructions leads to Revision 1 which requires a PCR or antigen test. 

7 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

Is everyone using Verifly app?  If you don't do that can you take care of all that once you are there to embark.?  I really don't want to go that route and hope Viking takes care of all the embarking procedures.

My understanding is that Viking are using the VeriFLY process to validate your vaccination status and therefore they are requiring all passengers to go through the VeriFLY process.

I don’t expect that you can just turn up at the ship with your vaccination certificate in hand. 

In addition, some airlines may require it also. 

3 hours ago, Doc who loves to travel said:

Here is a link that works to the passport/vaccine card holder and I really like this compared to my paperclip method! https://amzn.to/2UCGW1c

My daughter and I got the same ones. They are great and someone mentioned to also put our barcode printout in the slot with the vaccination card. Very handy to have everything we need in one place. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Camden lady said:

Is everyone using Verifly app?  If you don't do that can you take care of all that once you are there to embark.?  I really don't want to go that route and hope Viking takes care of all the embarking procedures.

If it helps, two weeks pre-cruise, Viking will send you instructions and a timeframe for what you need to complete for Iceland and Viking.  Included in there is a link to detailed instructions on how to use VeriFLY.  It must be completed at least 7 days pre-boarding, and you can add a second person's information if you're traveling with someone else.  I've only done the very first part (creating an account & taking a selfie) but with Viking's instructions, I'm confident I can do it.  It doesn't appear from the instructions that a lot of extraneous data is needed, mostly just it's a way to document your vaccination status.

• Like 1

That's a really nice passport/vax card holder, but I'm using what I have.  I just put my travel stuff in here (boarding pass, passport, vax card in a plastic name card holder, ID, etc.)   I put some money, a credit card, and a couple aspirins in the zippered packet in back, and wear it around my neck.   And I'm bringing my tried and true favorite Etsy obtained beaded lanyard, to which I'll attach my ship key card and the tracing medallion.

baggelini.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve NH said:

Assuming our ship will be exempt from the ban on groups of 200 or more??!!

It sounds like there will be minimal impact for Viking cruisers, although it may be a little difficult to distance on shore excursions.  And Viking may have to make a change or two to the excursions that go to baths (Vok, Husavik) because of capacity controls. But other than that, the new rules look OK to me. 

• Like 2

I have a question about embarkation; my husband and I are coming in a day early so we will get ourselves to the port.  We were interested in booking a 1/2 day tour from Reykjavik the day we embark, but the tour doesn't start until 1pm.  Is it possible to check in at 11am and get back to the city to catch that tour?  Not sure how long it will take to check into (onto?) the ship.  Thanks.

More appropriately - if you check in at 11 can you leave before you Viking spit test results are back? Since you're getting in early you may want to get a city pass. It will provide you the ability to use the local buses and give you access to many of the local attractions. Check out the website https://visitreykjavik.is/reykjavik-city-card

42 minutes ago, KAP1998 said:

I have a question about embarkation; my husband and I are coming in a day early so we will get ourselves to the port.  We were interested in booking a 1/2 day tour from Reykjavik the day we embark, but the tour doesn't start until 1pm.  Is it possible to check in at 11am and get back to the city to catch that tour?  Not sure how long it will take to check into (onto?) the ship.  Thanks.

36 minutes ago, AKexplorer said:

More appropriately - if you check in at 11 can you leave before you Viking spit test results are back? Since you're getting in early you may want to get a city pass. It will provide you the ability to use the local buses and give you access to many of the local attractions. Check out the website https://visitreykjavik.is/reykjavik-city-card

I can only tell you how long it took us (on July 10) and we didn’t start until 1pm or so. The check in process took us only about 10 minutes (there was no wait but they only had three or four people).  Then we spent about 15 mi minutes doing security and the life jacket demonstration. We had watched the video and done the test within the next twenty minutes.  So if all goes as it did with us, you could certainly be ready to leave the ship within an hour.

It is my recollection that the shuttle buses back to the Concert Hall started running at noon on each half hour. We were free to leave at any point after doing our test. However, due to our long and messed up flights, we elected to relax aboard. 

Enjoy!

43 minutes ago, AKexplorer said:

You never actually get your daily results. The only result is from the day you are in Djupivogur and given to you the next day. The test by then is two days old when you leave the ship.

24 minutes ago, Tom.in.nc said:

Have any of you pioneers tried the “check-in” on My Viking Journey?

Tom

I did it this morning for our July 31 departure on Viking Sky. Very easy, just really involved uploading a head and shoulder picture of each passenger on the booking. 

However from what I think I read previously it is not necessary as Viking repeat the process when we check in at either the ship or at the museum if we are an early arrival. 

There is no requirement to add credit card details that will be used for on board sundries. 

Hope this helps. 

1 minute ago, NeilP57 said:

However from what I think I read previously it is not necessary as Viking repeat the process when we check in at either the ship or at the museum if we are an early arrival. 

Thanks, I was hoping it would speed up the arrival process.  Anyway it’s a simple task that might help and won’t hurt.

Tom

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 9:21 AM, shipster60 said:

With all the documents to carry, this worked well for us. It holds your passport and vacc. Card. I just folded and tucked my barcode paper and later my neg Covid test behind the vacc card. No digging in a folder or pocket to retrieve everything. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0973XP2Q6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks just ordered it!

On 7/22/2021 at 11:41 AM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I just called Viking for help changing time on an excursion.  Since I was on the line, I asked about the Viking recommendation/requirement for PCR, not antigen testing coming next week, as it affects us.  I was told that Viking believes PCR is best  - some airlines/airports don't accept antigen, requirements could change anytime with Iceland, and it's more accurate.  I made reservations at Quest Labs for PCR.  They indicate a 1 to 2 day turnaround, mostly just one if receive sample same day.  They had a good number of spots available locally.  Test is self-administered in front of someone from Quest.  

Just book at Quest too!

I was up early today (good for going to Iceland!) and looked to see where Sky was.  She was in Isafjordur.  There's a great webcam there - -   https://www.snerpa.is/allt_hitt/vefmyndavelar/Isafjordur_-_Sundahofn/  so took a look.  As I was watching, a stream of people came down the little pier a little ways away from Sky.  It looked like a red jacketed Viking employee with a Viking sign (paddleboard?)  The people (around 20 I'd say) were led to the "Gisli Jons" (according to Marine Traffic) so I think they were going to either Vigur Island (probably) or possibly whale watching.  I tried to take a screen shot but I had the expanded view on the screen and it didn't work.  When I realized I was getting nowhere, I took it off and took another screen shot (below).  It was exciting.

I know I'm a nerd.  But if you know anyone on this Sky cruise and this excursion at 10:00,  you may want to tell them I saw them.  And if you want to way to people at home, that spot in the screenshot looks like a good opportunity -- IF you take any time difference into account!192563714_isaboattripVikingfrneighpier.jpg.0fd335a0876dfefad07e75b4d04c0ce1.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/24/2021 at 3:36 PM, KAP1998 said:

You may or may not be able to board independently exactly at 11:00.  Buses with Viking transfer passengers start arriving when they are cleared by the ship.  There was a bit of a backlog when that group started arriving around 11:00.  We arrived at 1:00pm by taxi and the check in was very quick.  Our friends were stunned when we told them it only took us about 15 minutes.  They said that was definitely not the case when they arrived in the buses. You are directed to the safety briefing immediately upon embarking. Then you are free to roam on the ship until cabins are ready-1:30 on our sailing last week.  Not sure how easy it would be to leave the ship in that grey area of 11:00 to 1:00 while embarkation is going on.

• Like 3

Tours or things to do in Sejdisfjordur?  We will be there on the  Sky from 8am-11pm. All we have booked is the free walking tour (1.5 hours).  The nature center tour is sold out and the Elf one doesn't excite me.  Is there much to see/do in the town?  Looks like there are a few restaurants but not sure if they are within walking distance.  I could not find any non-Viking tours either.

So what has everyone else done there for 15 hours?  

On 7/24/2021 at 3:36 PM, KAP1998 said:

Check into arranging pick-up on the pier. If you can do that it will save you time and the hassle of getting a cab.

I know that GrayLine does it because they picked us up there, luggage and all, as we disembarked. The pickup point is on the parking lot side of the little store as you exit the "terminal" building.

Also, think about getting to the pier before the first bus, even if you have to wait for them to start boarding.

Edited by Peregrina651