Sky Princess - Deck 17 Sun Cabins S216 to S230

Cabernet Girl

Hi, has anybody stayed in one of the balcony cabins on Sun deck (Sky Princess). Cabins S216 to S230.  I was just wondering if they would recommend booking one of these. They are by the retreat pool.  Any pros or cons.  Thank you in advance for any information.

8 hours ago, Cabernet Girl said:

Hi, has anybody stayed in one of the balcony cabins on Sun deck (Sky Princess). Cabins S216 to S230.  I was just wondering if they would recommend booking one of these. They are by the retreat pool.  Any pros or cons.  Thank you in advance for any information.

Hi there,

I have booked S217 on the Canary Islands cruise in March 2022.  I am experienced Princess cruiser and know what pitfalls are with cabin choice.  If you look at YouTube's various Sky Princess reviews you can see the set up.  "Sky Princess FULL Cruise Ship tour and review" is one example and at 1.21 they show the Retreat Pool area.  This pool is adults only and has a bar at one end,  either side are floor to ceiling windows and behind those the corridors outside the cabins to which you refer.   I think you want a cabin directly opposite the pool area.  It wont be too noisy without children and handy for the bar.  Public toilets are fairly near but not too near  if you have a cabin occupant that hogs the cabin shower/toilet.  There are a couple of hot tubs along on this deck which look as though most people will use the ones on the deck below where the lido pools are.  I do not think they will be walking upstairs when plenty of tubs are on the Lido Deck.   I think it is a good choice.

Regards John

13 minutes ago, john watson said:

Hi there,

I have booked S217 on the Canary Islands cruise in March 2022.  I am experienced Princess cruiser and know what pitfalls are with cabin choice.  If you look at YouTube's various Sky Princess reviews you can see the set up.  "Sky Princess FULL Cruise Ship tour and review" is one example and at 1.21 they show the Retreat Pool area.  This pool is adults only and has a bar at one end,  either side are floor to ceiling windows and behind those the corridors outside the cabins to which you refer.   I think you want a cabin directly opposite the pool area.  It wont be too noisy without children and handy for the bar.  Public toilets are fairly near but not too near  if you have a cabin occupant that hogs the cabin shower/toilet.  There are a couple of hot tubs along on this deck which look as though most people will use the ones on the deck below where the lido pools are.  I do not think they will be walking upstairs when plenty of tubs are on the Lido Deck.   I think it is a good choice.

Regards John

Thank you for your reply

11 hours ago, DUCHESSRN said:

We walked around up there last February ,we had a balcony on the Lido deck . The area you refer to looked very nice and the pool was always quiet .

Thanks for your reply.  Have booked an extended angled balcony cabin on Dolphin deck instead.

• Like 1

We were in Sun 220 on the 12/7/19 sailing.  Had to wait for all the media and mucky mucks to board and have their lunch, and they tied up the Elite lounge in the terminal.

Cabin was fine.  No noise from above and the glass wall kept noise out from the pool area (although that is a pretty quiet area).  Room pretty similar to other Royal-class ships.  Good closet space with shelves on side and above hangers.  Balcony typical of Royal-class, narrow.  Lots of LED lighting everywhere.  Door generally wouldn't open until I touched the screen by the door with the medallion.  

Good access to elevators and Sky deck above (stay away from last few rooms since deck door can be noisy).  The pool itself tends to have high humidity and this blows into the elevator lobby but wasn't bad near the staterooms.  You don't hear the folks in the new suites above.  Quite a bit of shade on Sun aft of the midship pool on whichever side is away from the sun.  Excellent access to grill and pizza on Lido.

The new cabins do restrict the size of the Retreat Pool area, no beds to rent there.  Sanctuary also greatly reduced number of loungers, so much harder to get one.  And a lot less shade than you get on either Royal/Regal or the older Caribbean Princess.  But forward lifts now go to Sky deck, so much easier for handicapped access to the Sanctuary.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I am thinking about cabin S216.  I think it would be nice being across from the pool.  But, I am concerned about the deck above and all the chair scraping noises every morning and night when they put out and pick up the chairs.  Any thoughts from anyone who has stayed in this area?

Edited by metairiegal

2 hours ago, metairiegal said:

I am thinking about cabin S216.  I think it would be nice being across from the pool.  But, I am concerned about the deck above and all the chair scraping noises every morning and night when they put out and pick up the chairs.  Any thoughts from anyone who has stayed in this area?

Don’t do it. Choose another area of the ship. We stayed in that area in November. I saw things in that pool area that I can never unsee. That was the second worst cruise we’ve ever been on. 

30 minutes ago, Mittens101 said:

Don’t do it. Choose another area of the ship. We stayed in that area in November. I saw things in that pool area that I can never unsee. That was the second worst cruise we’ve ever been on. 

Yes, some people will wear bathing suits they should not. But you will see that no matter what pool you go to on the ship.

These are my favorite balconies on the Royal class ships. Was in S218 on Discovery last November and absolutely loved it.

I could open my cabin door to see how crowded the Retreat pool was. Go grab a drink at the Retreat bar. The Lido deck was one flight down. The hot tubs were one deck above. No noise and the balcony is a tad bit larger than the regular balconies.

I don’t think you’d be disappointed at all. View from my cabin door.IMG_3189.thumb.jpeg.e351428a634dd16242fdffe58b93e4fb.jpeg

Edited by tonit964
Added photo
  • Like 1

We stayed in S217 in February this year. Terrific location. There was a little noise from chair setup in morning but no big deal. We really liked location. Went back and forth from pool to cabin balcony when loungers filled up. Would definitely book again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed in room S220 last November on Enchanted. I shouldn't say this, but it was perfect for us. These rooms book quickly because word is out how great they are. The location is wonderful, we walked 70 feet to the pool and bar. We made friend's quickly because the same people went to the bar.  Walking out of your cabin you face the pool, no other cabin across from you. The deck above had 2 hot tubs, never heard noise. Having so few cabins we never heard doors closing and lots of talk while walking by our cabin. Being on the Sun deck 1 deck above lido deck we never needed an elevator to go to the main pools, pool bars, buffet and pizza. We loved this cabin so much we booked a Trans Atlantic in March 2024. We have been on over 40 crises dating back 40 years. This was the best cabin location ever.      

• 2 weeks later...