ZERO wheelchair accessible Princess excursions in Mexico???

molly1riv

We are booked on a 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise on Majestic Princess in November. My friend is in a wheelchair but is able to lift himself in/out of a vehicle if needed but cannot go up/down stairs. There are just 3 port stops: Cabo, Puerta Vallarta and Mazatlan. We understand he can't disembark in Cabo due to the tenders, but there are no Princess excursions listed as "wheelchair accessible" on the excursions offerings for the other 2 ports. Princess' accessibility office told us to let them know which excursions we were interested in taking and they would check and see if the tour operators could secure coaches with a lift. The 2 we inquired about they said will not accommodate the wheelchair. We asked which excursions could accommodate him and the response was that none of the excursions will accommodate a wheelchair. I know I can find private tour operators that will happily accommodate us but I am anticipating that Princess won't be allowing passengers to use private tour operators. Has anyone been on a wheelchair accessible excursion in Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta? 

I know that it may be impossible to take a private tour these days, but if you are able to, I would like to suggest Tour with Roberto in Puerto Vallarta.  My husband uses a mobility scooter and there were 3 other senior's.  Roberto was very helpful and we had a wonderful experience with his tour.

3 hours ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

I know that it may be impossible to take a private tour these days, but if you are able to, I would like to suggest Tour with Roberto in Puerto Vallarta.  My husband uses a mobility scooter and there were 3 other senior's.  Roberto was very helpful and we had a wonderful experience with his tour.

Thank you for the tour recommendation! 

• 7 months later...

Not sure this thread is still active but molly1riv (or others) I would be interested in your experience with a wheelchair tour in Mazatlan  and PV.   We will be traveling with my Mom on the Majestic in Feb, 2022 and very much interested in wheelchair tours.   

Thanks for any information - like you very disappointed Princess not offering any accessible tours.

Jill

23 hours ago, jill1349 said:

Not sure this thread is still active but molly1riv (or others) I would be interested in your experience with a wheelchair tour in Mazatlan  and PV.   We will be traveling with my Mom on the Majestic in Feb, 2022 and very much interested in wheelchair tours.   

Thanks for any information - like you very disappointed Princess not offering any accessible tours.

Jill

Hi Jill. Is your Mom able to get in/out of a vehicle? Our friend is in a wheelchair but since he can lift himself into a vehicle we were able to book private tours in Mazatlán and Puerto Vallarta and store his chair in the back of the vans. So we didn’t book “wheelchair tours” specifically as we didn’t require vehicles with lifts or ramps. I’m happy to let you know which tours we took if you think this would work for her.

—Michelle

Hi Michelle (and Essiesmom) and thanks for the reply.    Yes, she can get in and out and I we have done some private tours before.   Not sure exactly what I am looking for - she is 97 years old and tires easily so ideally would be something that would last no more than two hours.   All in all probably best we just stay on the ship but would appreciate hearing what tours you took.   In PV we have taken cab to downtown and took her up the Malecon and in Mazatlan we took cab to the cathedral and back.  She does like to get off the ship and look around but as i say she tires easily so would have to be something close that does not require a lot of driving to get too.

Thanks.

Jill

I would also suggest this process, go to trip advisor for the ports that you are interested in, and search for accessible tours.  If you don't find any, the next step would be to click the provider name on trip advisor, and then you should be able to find their web site.  I then email the company and share what we need.

I also Google the port name accessible tours and usually find some.  I have videos on quite a few ports on the link in my signature for accessible excursions.