Recs for land trip pre-cruise (or in lieu of, if cruise cancelled)

irvington

I'm planning a trip to Greece for late Aug or early Sept for me and my son, age 19. He's a big cruise fan and we are both history nuts. I want to tack on some time for a visit to some of the sites on land and to see Athens, and I'm wondering if we should have a back up plan in case the cruise cancels (I'm also not sure we want to cruise if we can only visit places onshore with everyone from the boat - we are used to more DIY in port). Even if the cruise is a go, all the ones I am seeing are a week, and since we are traveling from West Coast US I'd love to be there for longer.

Several years ago I saw a recommendation (maybe cruisemom42?) of a driver who would take you on a several day trip around mainland Greece, but I didn't keep track of the name. I do see some websites online (George's taxi and Athens taxi) but I would welcome a rec - the right driver can make all the difference. We have been to Olympia before on a cruise but nothing else. I'm also wondering about taking a ferry to some of the islands, or is that just too long and uncertain and we would be better off flying? All things being equal I prefer modes of transportation other than air, but of course want to have a trip that goes more or less smoothly.

Any other sort of hotel or other recommendations welcome. Somewhat OT, but I see a lot of discussion of Greece and Croatia being open but less about Turkey - any insights on its openness to cruise or other visitors? My husband and I spent 6 weeks driving around Turkey 30 years ago and I'd love to go back.

I have used an excellent "taxi driver" (but so much more) service on several visits to Greece but I believe the owner, who was a real character, has now retired.

To me, doing some time on land and some on the water is really the ideal way to see Greece.  The Peloponnese is definitely worth it, as a land tour, with Mycenae, Corinth and Epidauros as standouts. Delphi would also be a must-see.

If your cruise is canceled, have you considered doing some ferry-hopping or possibly a cruise on a smaller yacht-like line?  I have read some recommendations for this line, sort of a cross between a larger ship and a yacht experience:  Greek Island Cruises - Variety Cruises

• Like 1

For a driving tour of the Peloponnesus go further south.  Look up Mistras, Monemvassia, Gythio, the Diros caves, Olympia, and the Lousios Gorge. That would make a big loop around the south.  Mycenae, Corinth, Epidaurus and Nafplio are very close to Athens and can be seen on the way.  Look up all those places and pick the ones you would like to see.  Plan your itinerary accordingly.  

Cruisemom- was your "taxi driver" George?  He is now retired, but his sons run and have expanded the company.  We went with George on our adventures, and yes, he was a real character.  I understand from friends that their current driving tours are very good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marazul said:

For a driving tour of the Peloponnesus go further south.  Look up Mistras, Monemvassia, Gythio, the Diros caves, Olympia, and the Lousios Gorge. That would make a big loop around the south.  Mycenae, Corinth, Epidaurus and Nafplio are very close to Athens and can be seen on the way.  Look up all those places and pick the ones you would like to see.  Plan your itinerary accordingly.  

Cruisemom- was your "taxi driver" George?  He is now retired, but his sons run and have expanded the company.  We went with George on our adventures, and yes, he was a real character.  I understand from friends that their current driving tours are very good.

I agree with Mistras (and ancient Sparta, what's left of it) and Gythion....  Monemvasia is so gorgeous when approached by sea, I wonder if one gets the same feeling when driving there? 

It wasn't George I used before but Jordan. He had a much smaller operation but was terrific and I used him on at least three different trips. He took special care of me and any traveling mates with me, even when sites were closed due to the anti-austerity strikes (finding alternatives or even once calling in a favor to get a relatively unvisited site opened for us). 

• Like 2

We love Crete,  it has it all beaches, ancient sites, great people and food.   It is a very large island and the farthest south so I would fly.   But it really depends on what you enjoy doing?  We have visited many of the islands and have enjoyed Paros. Which isn’t too long of a ferry ride from Athens. 

Last time we visited Meteora overnight and used another taxi company in Athens Michael Sterianos,  and we had a  very good experience.  He was very responsive to what we wished to see, and was very fair and easy to deal with. 

• Like 1

Thanks, these are really helpful suggestions. We stopped at Olympia on a prior cruise but my son has gotten even more interested in ancient history since then, so I am hoping to go to some of these sites, and this advice helps a lot. Cruisemom, I was looking at that Jewels of the Cyclades too and it is good to see the site with the different alternatives. Even if we don't choose that this time, I'm bookmarking it for future use. I can't get my husband on a cruise ship but he might change his tune for that kind of small ship experience.

• 2 weeks later...

We are biased.  We have been to Greece many times.  Mainland and islands.  Plus we have visited on  Med cruises.

I believe that you will be fortunate if your cruise is cancelled and you decide to do a land trip on your own.  It will be so much more enjoyable and you will see much more.

Get a good book on Greece and pick a spot.  You might want to do Athens, the north, then over to the Ionian Islands.  Or the Peloponnese, Athens, some islands.  Or the north plus Rhodes and perhaps a ferry over to Turkey for a few days.  OR Athens and the Cyclades ferry hopping to see several islands and ending perhaps in Crete.

If you do this pack light.  A carry on roller is best for the wonderful ferry system.  Don' t book more than a few days in advance for flexibility.  Work the ferry scheds if you do island hopping.  If you are visiting those islands that are popular with cruise ships look up the port schedules and visit when there are fewer cruise ships.  These islands take on an entirely different complextion and atmosphere after 4PM once the cruisers are gone.  Far more enjoyable. 

You might also want to consider a few days on a small local cruise ship.   

Travel in Greece is so easy, the people are wonderful.  I believe that we have done about 4 Med cruises and at least as many DIY trips.   Our opinion....you will spend less and see/experience so much more of Greece.

I took my 18 year old son to Europe years ago.  One condition was that he did his own research in order to tell me what cities he wanted to visit and for how long.  Worked like a charm because he bought into the trip.

Whatever you decide....have a great trip.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1