Cruise ships coming to Galveston this weekend

Radiioman46

25 minutes ago, Rudyard said:

I was there today when they came in. I was on Pier 26 between the terminals. I have to say it was very emotional. I can't even begin to describe how great it felt to catch that first glimpse of the whale tail as Breeze came around the eastern end of the island and started coming up the channel. 

Awesome and you have a very high chance that your upcoming Breeze booking will actually sail! The timing turned out to be great and I would bet your port will be holding vaxx clinics for crew pronto.  Fabulous!

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

Awesome and you have a very high chance that your upcoming Breeze booking will actually sail! The timing turned out to be great and I would bet your port will be holding vaxx clinics for crew pronto.  Fabulous!

A friend just texted and ask why the crew members do not already have their vaccinations?  I have no idea, but maybe those countries they are coming from don't have it available? 🤔 I don't know enough about that specific topic to speak to it, so maybe others on here do. I thought I read where crew members will begin receiving vaxxs on Tuesday in Galveston for those ships.

Edited by LHARTWICK
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

A friend just texted and ask why the crew members do not already have their vaccinations?  I have no idea, but maybe those countries they are coming from don't have it available? 🤔 I don't know enough about that specific topic to speak to it, so maybe others on here do. I thought I read where crew members will begin receiving vaxxs on Tuesday in Galveston for those ships.

My intel comes from Chris Wong, who has been vlogging about working for Royal Caribbean for a few years. He is home in the UK and is keeping his followers up to date. In short, no, he can't get the vaxx at home yet and thus he hasn't. I believe the situation is worse in a lot of the developing countries where cruise employees traditionally hail from. Like most other contract cruise employees worldwide, he's been home for close to a year. He is clearly excited and eager to return to work asap. 

Now from what I am seeing in the news, in the past week-ish, we have gotten to the point where the USA is beginning to have a surplus in vaccines based on supply and demand. We are well short of herd immunity but far too many people are hesitant. When the Pfizer vaccine emergency use authorization is expanded to kids aged 12-15, which should be in the next several days or worst case scenario, sometime later in May, we will have about 16 million more eligible recipients and I am guessing something around half will want it, same as the older populations, but I fervently hope it will be more. 

Meanwhile, the manufacturers are delivering and that surplus makes it a no-brainer to start on non-US citizens who are working in industries supporting a US customer base. So I have just seen port and cruise line clinic events in the past week. 

Thank you, KmomChicago!  My guess was that other countries where a lot of the crew members are from just don't have access to the vaccine.  I hope that changes soon. We don't watch the news at all, so thanks for the update.  We are vaccinated and ready to sail!  Seeing the ships on the webcam now - so beautiful lit up at night with their message on the side!