Snake and Columbia river cruise- Best time to cruise?

jagoffee

We are planning to book a Snake and Columbia river cruise.  We noticed that the departure dates in August 2021 offer an additional discount over the departures in the first two weeks in September.  This is probably because of less bookings on the August cruises.  Are there any risks associated with cruising the last week of August instead of early September 2021?  Any possibility of low water levels like in Europe?  Will it be too hot?  Will some things be closed in August?

This will be our first cruise on ACL.  We have completed one European river cruise and many ocean cruises.

Thank you.

Edited by jagoffee

On 5/1/2021 at 11:29 PM, jagoffee said:

We are planning to book a Snake and Columbia river cruise.  We noticed that the departure dates in August 2021 offer an additional discount over the departures in the first two weeks in September.  This is probably because of less bookings on the August cruises.  Are there any risks associated with cruising the last week of August instead of early September 2021?  Any possibility of low water levels like in Europe?  Will it be too hot?  Will some things be closed in August?

This will be our first cruise on ACL.  We have completed one European river cruise and many ocean cruises.

Thank you.

August is fire season in the west.  We booked 9/29.  Good luck

1 hour ago, Tom47 said:

August is fire season in the west.  We booked 9/29.  Good luck

I had not thought of that possibility.  Our choices are August 25, September 1, or September 8.

Do you think that it makes much difference?

Is the concern that there might be forest fires in the area affecting our cruise?

Thanks

Edited by jagoffee

I had an online friend who recently passed.  She lived in N. California and suggested that Sept was still hazardous.  She said the best time is May.  Fire seasons last longer and start earlier in the west due to climate change.  Best bet for you is Sept 8

• Thanks 1

A follow up question, please.

Does  it make much of a difference if your cabin is located on the North or South side of the ship?

Thanks

Edited by jagoffee

55 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

A follow up question, please.

Does  it make much of a difference if your cabin is located on the North or South side of the ship?

Thanks

I don't know

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I’ll be high jacking this thread when I ask which spring month (March, April, May) is the best. We just started investigating details and would be traveling with my dad, who’s in his mid-90s and has cruised the Columbia before, but it will be new to my husband and me. Also, I saw mention that the single cabins book quickly - how soon do we need to book?  TIA!

Edited by CarolynFH

4 hours ago, CarolynFH said:

I guess I’ll be high jacking this thread when I ask which spring month (March, April, May) is the best. We just started investigating details and would be traveling with my dad, who’s in his mid-90s and has cruised the Columbia before, but it will be new to my husband and me. Also, I saw mention that the single cabins book quickly - how soon do we need to book?  TIA!

March and April are too early in the year. Things don't get going until May that far North